North and South North and South discussion

what else is like this

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Bronte Erickson I really like books that have characters who don't like eachother until the end;, Jane eyre, pride and prejudice, much ado about nothing, gone with the wind . Does anyone know of another book with stronger women , sarcasm, or good dialogue, and an older setting ?

Menna  Emad You may read (Emma) and (Persuasion) By Jane Austen they are great.

Mary Middlemarch by George Eliot (although the characters probably like each other, but it takes a while for them to get together).

Bronte Erickson I read Emma, and Persuasion, however I haven't read Middlemarch. Thank you for the suggestion!

Mary You are welcome. I hope you enjoy it.

Xenia Bronte wrote: "I really like books that have characters who don't like eachother until the end;, Jane eyre, pride and prejudice, much ado about nothing, gone with the wind . Does anyone know of another book with ..."

Actually, John Thornton falls in love with Margaret almost immediately and deep down wants her throughout the whole book. It is Margaret that takes some time falling for John Thornton. She can't see past his gruff exterior to see into his heart for a long time.

Xenia Pride and Prejudice comes close. Mr. Darcy falls in love with Elizabeth very early on despite their coming from different societal levels. Elizabeth cannot stand him and takes a while to see that Mr. Darcy really is a good man.

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

Depends on what you're looking for. This novel has several themes underlying the romance. But if it is the romance that got you, then I think the suggestions here all look good. If you want to know more about what Gaskell might have been trying to do, see the Wikipedia entry on North and South (1855 novel).

Katie Curl One of my all time favorite books is Little Dorrit from Charles Dickens. It is an amazing plot, albeit a long one. Amy Dorrit and Arthur Clenham have a unique relationship, one that started out of his genuine concern for her welfare.

Though not full of sarcasm or wit (on the part of Amy and Arthur at least), the over-arching storyline is brilliant. I highly recommend it.

message 10: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana Some suggestions "A Room With A View" "A Girl of the Limberlost" "Daddy Longlegs" "Rebecca" "Possession"

message 11: by E.C. (new) - rated it 5 stars

E.C. Newman It actually requires three books to get through and it's not that the characters hate each other, but there are obstacles to overcome. The female is strong as is the male and I love them both because it's a mature relationship. "Strong Poison," "Have His Carcase" and "Gaudy NIght" by Dorothy L. Sayers. They're mysteries but I adore them, especially Harriet Vane and Lord Peter Wimsey. Set in London 1920s.

Denni Surprised no-one seems to have specifically suggested you read Gaskell's Mary Barton.

message 13: by Josh (new) - rated it 3 stars

Josh B. Has anyone mentioned Wives and Daughters by Elizabeth Gaskell? It's pretty hefty, about 600 pages, but it's pretty entertaining. It details the lives and loves of two sisters and their mother who live in a small English town. Kinda reminded me more of Jane Austen. But it is the same author. Not as much social realism to it though, like North and South.