Lush Library discussion

The Song of Achilles
This topic is about The Song of Achilles
Past Group Reads > The Song of Achilles - SPOILERS!

Comments Showing 1-5 of 5 (5 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Sophia (pageplucker) | 230 comments Mod
So how did you enjoy The Song of Achilles? Do you think it was a worthy winner of the Orange prize?

Had anyone already read the Iliad beforehand? It'd be interesting to hear how this compares or differs from the original story and if you felt it was true to the spirit of Homer's epic.

message 2: by Karen (new) - added it

Karen  | 120 comments So far, not impressed. I hope this improves, as the last time I tried an Orange prize winner, I was sorely disappointed.

message 3: by Sophia (last edited Jun 08, 2012 12:08PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Sophia (pageplucker) | 230 comments Mod
Don't worry, it gets better!

message 4: by Jo (new) - rated it 5 stars

Jo | 592 comments Mod
I've not read the Iliad although I've had a copy sat on my bookshelf for about 10 years.

I must be the only one who enjoyed this from the start, but I liked the developing relationship between Patroclus and Achilles which I assume is what bored everyone else.

Sarah  (scheherazade) | 364 comments Mod
I enjoyed this from the start, too, Jo. It's the only bit of the story that really adds something to the Iliad story, rather than just re-writing it.

I really enjoyed this. I was completely gripped from the start! I read both the Iliad and the Odyssey for a university course, so I loved seeing what she did with the characters. They're a lot more human in this -- you can connect with the emotionally in a way I found hard in the Homer. Perhaps this is why I liked the early scenes -- they rounded out the characters and made them people you could connect with, where the Iliad is mostly about the battles.

I think they complement each other really well. Definetly a worthy winner!