Goodreads Librarians Group discussion

Book Issues > opinion on CD-ROMs?

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 69 comments Hi librarians,

We have an author wanting to join the GR author program who has authored three CD-ROMs. To my knowledge, the librarians haven't weighed in on the appropriateness of including CD-ROMs in the database.
http://www.goodreads.com/author/show/...
Her work has ISBNs, and CD-ROMs certainly require "authoring." I'm inclined to allow her to join. Please let me know if you'd like to argue on the side of removing CD-ROMs from the database.

message 2: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments ...Huh. I think I would call these "textbooks with supplemental video material" -- that is, I vote for inclusion -- although I can see a case for calling them "instructional videos with supplemental text" instead.

message 3: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

rivka | 36767 comments Mod
Actually, we have been not-a-booking all music CDs. I admit that I don't think I've come across many non-music CDs (except those which are audiobook editions of written works). Oh, except old radio dramas. And we've been not-a-booking those too. We also not-a-book VHS videos.

To me, these are most like that last category. Definitely authored; definitely not books.

message 4: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Jessica, Are these mainly video or are there numerous pages of straight text similar to books?

message 5: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

According to their descriptions, two feature audio, video, and images; the third is a program to calculate appropriate feed and dietary supplements for horses based on a list of variables. It also contains images (and audio?)

message 6: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Yes, I saw that but I was wondering if there was also book length supplementary text. If not, they don't seem like books to me.

Jessica, If Goodreads does want to add this author/the CD-ROMS a note should be made in the description of each to alert librarians to not NOT A BOOK them as they're the kind of materials that might be marked as such.

message 7: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

I think librarians would be careful not to not-a-book anything from a GR author. ;)

message 8: by Lisa (new)

Lisa Vegan (lisavegan) | 2400 comments Ah, good point Rivka!

message 9: by Cait (new)

Cait (tigercait) | 5005 comments rivka wrote: "Actually, we have been not-a-booking all music CDs. I admit that I don't think I've come across many non-music CDs (except those which are audiobook editions of written works). Oh, except old radio..."

I see a lot of textbooks with supplemental CDs, actually. Usually there's a dead-tree book with attached CD, but I wouldn't be surprised if more and more are going the entirely-electronic route.

message 10: by rivka, Librarian Moderator (new)

As the person who creates the booklist each semester for a small college, very few textbooks I've seen have gone entirely electronic (although the trend is there). Even with those which have, most are still primarily text -- they're ebooks with pictures and video clips.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 69 comments Thanks for weighing in, everyone! I wrote to the author to get a fuller description of her work. She described them as ebooks and "books in which some of the illustrations move (video or animation)." It seems there is a reasonable amount of text, so I'm going to add her to the author program.