Jane Austen Fans discussion

General > Jane Austen

Comments Showing 1-16 of 16 (16 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
This is for general stuff about Jane Austen.

message 2: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
I love reading quotes from her letters to Cassandra. I think one is "I was as civil to them as their bad breath would allow" or something to that effect. :D

message 3: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) *laughs* I've been trying to find a collection of her letters because they are extremely funny. Any suggestions?

message 4: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (last edited Jun 05, 2012 12:22PM) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
I'm not sure. I got that quote from a Jane Austen calendar I received for Christmas. I didn't know they made those!! It has some quotes from her books and her letters. Not a lot, but some. http://www.amazon.com/2012-Jane-Auste...

Just now I found this place, and it looks pretty cool:
http://www.pemberley.com/janeinfo/bra...
It has her letters as well as a list of good quotes from them. :D Here are some:

•"I do not want people to be very agreeable, as it saves me the trouble of liking them a great deal."

•"You will have a great deal of unreserved discourse with Mrs. K., I dare say, upon this subject, as well as upon many other of our family matters. Abuse everybody but me."

•[To her sister Cassandra, on the birth of a son to one of their sisters-in-law:]
"I give you joy of our new nephew, and hope if he ever comes to be hanged it will not be till we are too old to care about it."

•[On another of their nephews, then about three years old:]
"I shall think with tenderness and delight on his beautiful and smiling countenance and interesting manner, until a few years have turned him into an ungovernable, ungracious fellow."

•"I had a very pleasant evening, however, though you will probably find out that there was no particular reason for it; but I do not think it worth while to wait for enjoyment until there is some real opportunity for it."

•"Next week [I] shall begin my operations on my hat, on which you know my principal hopes of happiness depend."

•[To her niece Anna, referring to characters in a novel that Anna was then writing:]
"His having been in love with the aunt gives... an additional interest... I like the idea -- a very proper compliment to an aunt! I rather imagine indeed that nieces are seldom chosen but out of compliment to some aunt or another. I daresay Ben [Anna's husband] was in love with me once, and would never have thought of you if he had not supposed me dead of a scarlet fever."

I love those!!!

My calendar has a couple of them.

message 5: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) Those are awesome quotes! My mom got me a bunch of blank cards that have quotes of hers on the front. I know they have collections of her letters in book form; it'll probably be one of those things that I can't get until I visit England, though.

message 6: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments Jane had such a great wit. Would love to have a collection of her letters, etc.
I read a book that was part biography part fiction, called "Just Jane". Her life was kind of sad. She never did find the right guy. And one that she did like at one point (according to this book) died before anything big could happen between them. :( The book didn't really have a sad ending or anything, but it was a little bit melancholy. I also want to see the movie "Becoming Jane" with Anne Hathaway.

message 7: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
I saw part of it. It was good.
I got a good biography from the library a few weeks ago. I had to return it before I was done, though. I'll have to get it again.

I would love a book of her letters! I'm not going to visit England any time soon... *sigh*

message 8: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
Although a friend of mine just moved there. Hmm. Connections.

message 9: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments Maybe some can be found on the internet? I might try e-bay. (though it's unlikely)

message 10: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) Sadly, I am not going to England any time soon, either. But I have a friend over there; maybe she'd be willing to send me a little graduation gift . . . ;) I would also like to find a good biography on her.

message 11: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments You two are so lucky! I don't have any connections so I'm stuck. :(

message 12: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) I only have such connections because I'm a member of a lot of British forums. ;)

message 13: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
Ooh, that's a thought.

message 14: by Anne (new)

Anne (cinderella16) | 25 comments If either of you find anything, let me know. Please!!!

message 15: by Emily, most comments. :) :) :) (new)

Emily | 227 comments Mod
Okay.

message 16: by Mara (new)

Mara (maraanne) Jane Austen A Life by Claire Tomalin is supposed to be really good. I haven't read it yet myself, but it comes highly, highly recommended by a Victorian mysteries author.