75 Books...More or Less! discussion

Archive (2009 Completed) > Dawn Michelle's 2009 List

Comments Showing 1-50 of 140 (140 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 03:00PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 1. A Great and Terrible Beauty ~ Libba Bray

A really great read. I thank Emma for badgerin...I mean convincing us all to read this book!!! :-)

message 2: by Ms. Vicki (new)

Ms. Vicki Smith I've been thinking about reading that book too...but haven't been sure I'd like it. Thanks for sharing.

message 3: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:54PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments Ok I have been away from here for awhile. So I have LOTS of catching up to do. I am not writing any reviews here, but I may come back and change that once I slow down in the reading dept. Hope you all have been reading LOTS!!!

2. Aunt Dimity and the Good Deed by Nancy Atherton
Ok, I will write this...I have been reading this WHOLE series. I only have 2 left and I left them at my mom's (as they are 1. her's and 2. I wanted to keep something there to read in case of emergency) and am NOW wishing I hadn't. I LOVE these. They are amazing. YAY!!

3. Aunt Dimity Digs In by Nancy Atherton
4. Aunt Dimity's Christmas (ONE of my fav's of the series!

5. Rachel's Tears by Beth Nimmo and Darrel Scott
This book was about one of the girls who died at Columbine. It was very thought provoking and sad and lovely all at the same time. I am glad that I got the chance to read it.

6. Aunt Dimity Beats the Devil
7. Aunt Dimity: Detective
8. Aunt Dimity Takes a Holiday
9. Aunt Dimity: Snowbound
10. Aunt Dimity and the Next of Kin (One of the best and most thought provoking books of the series. Right behind the Christmas one!!)
11. Aunt Dimity and the Deep Blue Sea
12. Aunt Dimity Goes West

13. Latte Trouble by Cleo Coyle
The more I read these books, the more I love them. And imagine my surprise when I discovered that one of the coffee's I had received for Christmas was one that they discussed at length in the book. Break out the grinder and away we gooooooooo.

message 4: by Karol (new)

Karol Dawn, you and I have similar tastes . . . so I am going to have to look into this Aunt Dimity series myself! I've had other friends who've really enjoyed it, too.

message 5: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments What is all of this Aunt Dimity? I haven't heard of it - what genre would you put it in?

PS - I love the Libba Bray series (Gemma Doyle). You should read the others if you haven't already!!

message 6: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments I TOTALLY loved the Aunt Dimity books. Totally. And I guess the genre is mystery, though not all are mysteries. They really are hard to categorize. All I know is that I read the first one and was hooked. I didn't see how she could keep up the pace, but she has and to be honest, they just get better. I hope you look into at least the first one. I think you (both) would enjoy them!

I am hoping to get the next of the Libba Bray series this weekend. I have to wait until the third comes out in paperback to get that one.

message 7: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulagrin) | 148 comments I feel so inferior to your reading abilities--my books read list is half the size of yours! Glad you're liking them all, though. When I finally get a chance to dig into Odd Thomas, I'll let you know! (I bought it recently but am slowing "tearing" through some short pieces right now.)

message 8: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments I know you will LOVE the "Odd Thomas" series. They are really awesome books.

I spent 2 weeks at my mom's snowed in. I read A LOT there. In fact I covered all but one of the "Aunt Dimity" books there AND "Rachel's Tears". I am *trying* to read "Washington Square" now. GACK! I guess I am NOT a Henry James fan. Sigh. I am trying!!

message 9: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulagrin) | 148 comments I don't ever want to read Henry James if I can help it. :) Then again, I've said that about writers like Cather and Capote and loved them so maybe I should be careful! My book club was supposed to read the first Odd Thomas book but backed out, so I'll just read it on my own. That's too bad, too, since last year I remember you told me that you liked them all. Maybe I just need the snow to stick on the roads so I can't drive to work and therefore can stay home and read more? Hehe!

message 10: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:51PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 14. Washington Square by Henry James

GACK!!!! I cannot BELIEVE I wasted like three days of my life READING this book!!!!! And the ENDING!! WHAT the holy heck was that all about??? GACK!!! I think I am totally done with Henry James. I will admit to liking the story line of Daisy Miller (even if I did think she was a silly girl) but this book was unlikable from the beginning. ARGH!!!!!!
Moving on.....

message 11: by Merri (new)

Merri Dawn- don't hold back- tell us how you really feel! LOL I'm impressed you even read Henry James!

Lynne - The Book Squirrel (squirrelsend) I love Odd Thomas! I have the others to read when I get to them!

message 13: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments **Laughing at Merri! I will try and NOT hold back so much next time. GASP! Did I say next time?? Can you EVEN believe I am thinking of reading "The Wings of the Dove"? I must be totally mental!!!

message 14: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Nov 23, 2009 09:11AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 15. The Zahir by Paulo Coelho

"The unexpected happens, and we're not always prepared for it" Paulo Coelho

This book talked about the unexpected happening, love, "Favor Banks" and what we do with it all. And what happens when we let our history and our past go and embrace the joy that then fills the empty spaces in our lives.

This is not an easy book to review. It really is one of those books that you just have to read for yourself and take from it what applies to you.

I LOVE this author and can't wait to read more by him!!

message 15: by Merri (new)

Merri Dawn wrote: "**Laughing at Merri! I will try and NOT hold back so much next time. GASP! Did I say next time?? Can you EVEN believe I am thinking of reading "The Wings of the Dove"? I must be totally mental!!!"

I commend you for taking on classics that are not "easy reads" I personally have been trying to read 1 or 2 a year. Not Henry James - I hated him in High School! When my girls were in High School I realized how many I had missed. So far Jane Erye is my favorite.

message 16: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) oh darn, Washington Square was no good then? It was on my list. I just read Daisy Miller, it was OK, I give it 3/5. Hmmmm....

message 17: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments @ Liz...YOU are far more generous than I with Daisy. While I liked the story, her silliness really grated on my last nerve. But it WAS heaps better than Washington Square. HEAPS!!!

@Merri...Thank you. I tackled Jane Eyre last year. And initially HATED it. But now that I have had time to mellow about it, its not the story I hated. Its the WAY the story was told. I mean, they just go on and on and on about stuff. GACK! But I did *like* the story. I think Jane is very brave and she is an interesting character. MUCH BETTER than the "heroine" in WS. Talk about spineless. Sigh.

message 18: by Liz (new)

Liz (busy91) I think a lot of the silliness and spinelessness of the female characters in James' book have to do with the fact that he was a Victorian Age male author writing from the female perspective. Not many of them were enlightened enough to write a belivable female heroine. Only a woman could do that, thus we have the Bronte's and Austen's of the day.

message 19: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:51PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 16. Shakespeare's Secret by Elise Broach

What a delightful YA book!! It just captivated me right from the beginning and I was disappointed when it ended~ONLY because I didn't want this story to END!!! Yes, it IS that good!!

To try and write a review of this book would give away more than I would like, so I am going to refrain from writing anything. I will say that I learned MORE about Shakespeare than I thought I would and it wasn't all dull. I just may have to go and read "Much Ado About Nothing" now.

message 20: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 17. The Executive's Surprise Baby by Catherine Mann

FLUFF!!! Pure fluff!! But an easy read while I was deciding what to read next since I discovered I didn't have "Much Ado About Nothing", which is what I WANTED to read. Oh well. I guess mindless is good sometimes!

message 21: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 18. Cornelia and the Audacious Escapades of the Somerset Sisters by Lesley M.M. Blume

I am giving this 4 stars only because I can't give it three and a half.

That said, this is a wonderful little YA book about a girl who thinks she is one thing, but through the help of an unconventional neighbor,realizes she is a great many things.

This is the story of Cornelia, a famous pianist, a famous writer, four "audacious" sisters, Patel, stories and a french bulldog. how they all combine into one book makes for a fun and easy read.

message 22: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:58PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 19. Something Beautiful (Love, Inspired) by Lenora Worth

20. Lacey's Retreat (Love, Inspired) by Lenora Worth
These two were the last that I got this past September at Word on the Street. Just fluff really. They were good, if somewhat unrealistic stories about (what else), love. And trust. Both were easy reads.

21. A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini
WOW!! WOW!!
I can see how everyone says that this is better than "The Kite Runner" (which I will preface here that I LOVED LOVED LOVED!). I am just amazed and blown away by this book!!

This book has many twists and turns. I didn't really know what to expect. And the end is amazing.

A wonderful, heart-breaking, compelling story of 2 Afghan women--initially their lives on their own, and then how they are brought together. A story of how to work through resentment and hatred to find companionship, caring and ultimately(sp) love. And what the two women do with and for this love will totally blow your mind and soften your heart!

A MUST READ!!!!

message 23: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:50PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 22. The Member of the Wedding by Carson McCullers

I am giving this three stars when I want to give it 2 1/2. I SO wish we could give 1/2 stars. Oh well.

Ehh.
Maybe I am just not cut out to read the classics. I think that my brain isn't wired the right way. Who knows. All I know is that I was not thrilled with this book. And that is such a disapointment to me, because I have waited forever to get this book and read it. And from all the positive reviews, I felt I would really love this book. And it turns out, not so much. Sigh.

To be honest, I cannot even say what it is about the book that I do not like. It was such an odd book and I get that the characters were odd---maybe it was the writing, maybe it was the story itself, I do not know. All I do know is that I am sooooo disapointed.

message 24: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 23. Sunday's at Tiffanys by James Patterson
Ehh!
I was really excited to read this book and then was SO VERY disappointed when I finally got to. Blah. I saw everything coming a MILE away. Sigh....

24. On Gold Mountain: The One-hundred-Year Odyssey of my Chinese-American Family by Lisa See
WOW!
This book was amazing. it also took forever to read. There is SO much information in it that it takes awhile to really digest it all. At 378 pages with VERY small print, its a pretty hefty book.

This is the story of Lisa See's (The author) family ~ starting back in 1866 when her great-great grandfather and tow of his sons came to California from China to make a better life for himself and his family. In Chinese, America was called "Gam Saan" or "Gold Mountain", where you could go and make your fortune. It was here that Fong Dun Shung and #2 and #3 sons hoped to make THEIR fortune. They were sent from California out to help build the new railroad (and I won't EVEN BEGIN to go into how badly the Chinese were treated during this time. As well as other times in history. Shameful!)and from there the story flows up to modern day.

There are MANY characters and places to remember. Another reason the book takes awhile to read. But its such a worthwhile endeavor. Its so lush and vivid in its descriptions that you almost feel like you are there in certain moments. And many things that this family both endured and changed for many people's destinies is amazing to me.

This is an amazing family history and well worth the read.

message 25: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:49PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 25. Murder Most Frothy by Cleo Coyle

I LOVE these books. Such easy, fun reads. YAY!!

message 26: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:49PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 26. Interpreter of Maladies by Jhumpa Lahiri

I finally got this author's first book. And once again, I am amazed at what a great writer she is and how much I enjoyed this book. I still think though that "The Namesake" is my favorite by her.

As with "Unaccustomed Earth", this book is short stories. And also like that book, these stories are sad. And thought-provoking. And an amazing insight to what life is like for Indian immigrants when they first come to this country. A couple of stories are actually set in India and those are really interesting as well.

What amazes me is that this is her first novel. Which won a Pulitzer. Can you imagine having to then write ANOTHER book? And when she does, she comes out with "The Namesake", which was incredible!?! WOW!!

And while a lot of the stories are sad (and many leave you wanting MUCH more), it truly is a great read. YAY!!

message 27: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 08, 2009 10:48PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 27. Her Last Death: A Memoir by Susanna Sonnenberg

Why do people do the things they do? Why do MOTHERS do things that hurt their children irrevocably? WHY do children feel they have to write it all down and share it with MILLIONS of people? I don't know the answers to ANY of those questions, nor did I even remotely find the answers in this book.

The author's mother is crazy. She is a drug addict. She is most likely bi-polar. She is a sex-addict who enjoys trying to turn her children into little "mini-Daphne's (her mother's name is Daphne). She is narcissistic to the EXTREME. And she totally damages her children. And is unrepentant about that.

That the author has maintained a somewhat normal life (though MUCH later in life...her early years are fraught with wanting to please her mom, yet hating her at the same time, drugs, sex and affairs with married men) is amazing to me. But I didn't feel this story as much as I felt "The Glass Castle".

LOTS of sexual references and LOTS of language, much of it crude. Makes me grateful for where and how I grew up.

message 28: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:57PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 28. The Winning Hand by Nora Roberts
Re-read. Needed a SERIOUS break from the book listed NEXT. WOW!

29. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (3.5 stars)

Well.
I don't know WHEN I started liking this book, but it sure wasn't at the beginning (I believe it was around Chapter 13 that things picked up some for me!)!!

This was a L O N G book.And in many parts, tremendously confusing. There are parts that even now, I do not understand. But I DID learn quite a bit as well. And mostly what I learned was interesting. Some of it anyway.

This book is about a war. But not between people. Well, people yes, but not real people. Does that make sense?

If you love Sci-fi AND Neil Gaiman AND don't mind some pretty strong language (which for me was totally unexpected as I have only read "Coraline" and "Stardust" by him)AND a really, really long book, then you will LOVE this. And to be honest, I really enjoyed the end. Didn't understand most of it, but enjoyed it nonetheless.

message 29: by Susan (new)

Susan Dawn wrote: "
29. American Gods by Neil Gaiman (3.5 stars)

Well.
I don't know WHEN I started liking this ..."

American Gods was the first book I read by Neil Gaiman and turned me into a big fan of his. The book was a little confusing at times, but I just loved the concept that as people migrated to America, they brought these old gods along, forgot about them, and now they are these old, somewhat powerless characters trying to regain some of there former glory. "Anansi Boys" isn't really a sequel, but is the story of the sons of Anansi (Uncle Nancy) who is in American Gods. It is much lighter than American Gods and you might get a kick out of it. Stardust is probably my favorite by Gaiman.

message 30: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments I actually bought "Anansi Boys" before "American Gods". And the checkout guy at the bookstore told me I needed to read "AG" before I read "AB". So I went and found it at a used bookstore and read it. And I did like the concept of the book. I think it was the length and how confusing it was at times that threw me off at times.

I LOVED "Stardust". I saw the movie first, so the book was a bit different for me, but I just loved it and didn't think either one took away from each other. And "Coraline" was amazing. Hard to believe that is a YA book. I have several more I want to read by him. I believe I am now a HUGE fan!!

message 31: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 30. The Saffron Kitchen by Yasmin Crowther

This was a really good book. Very sad in parts and also very touching.

Set in both London and Iran (for the most part in flashbacks until the end of the book), this story is mostly Maryam's, but is also her daughter Sara's ans she struggles to overcome sadness of her own and also struggles to understand who her mother really is ans why she acts the way she does, especially when her mother unexpectedly leaves all she knows in London and goes back to Iran.

Very thought-provoking, sad and vivid in its descriptions, this was a really good read and I really enjoyed this book!

message 32: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 03, 2009 02:56PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 31. Decaffeinated Corpse by Cleo Coyle
Another clever book in the Coffeehouse Mystery Series. I have to say I really enjoyed this one. LOTS of red herrings. A fun, quick read!

32. A Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews
Ehh.
I am (once again) TOTALLY disappointed. To be honest, I am really getting tired of being excited to read a book only to be totally let down by it. It seems to be happening more and more lately. Ugh!

This book really felt like I was wasting my time. I am unsure what the point of it was exactly. It just never really went anywhere. AND, I was totally taken aback by the language. I wasn't prepared for that either.

Hmm. In one word, YUCK!

message 33: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 33. Dead Until Dark by Charlaine Harris

WOW!! WOW!! WOW!!

FINALLY!! I am so glad to have read a book that I really, really, REALLY liked and enjoyed! And I am delighted that I not only have the next two in the series to read, but I also have three of another series by this author. I am excited because she is a good writer and it seems that those are hard to come by!

Sookie is such an interesting character. She trusts almost instinctively. And she loves life. And she is curious about things. But....her "condition/gift" makes it difficult to have real, meaningful relationships. Until she meets Bill (and his "friends"). Who has tons of issues of his own. But together, she finds, they make magic.

But someone is not liking that particular brand of magic and is killing people to prove it. Will Sookie make it out "alive"?

Great read. Fun, light (sort of) and easy. Lots and lots of fun!

message 34: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 34. Living Dead in Dallas by Charlaine Harris

WOW!
This was a really good (and fast) read! I am amazed at how good this one was (for as you all know, sometimes after the first book was so good, the second doesn't always live up to the first)!!

You learn so much more about the characters in this book. And not just more about Sookie. All the other characters too. Which I think enriches the book and the storyline. And you learn about the other "supernatural" beings, which aren't all as nice and friendly as Bill is.

Can't wait to see what kind of trouble Sookie can get herself into next!

GREAT read!!!

message 35: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Nov 23, 2009 09:16AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 35. Club Dead by Charlaine Harris

HOLY COW!!! These just get better and better.

And right now, I am REALLY glad I am not in Sookie's shoes! I thought having TWO Vamp's hot for you was awkward, but now (because of trouble with her main squeeze Bill), she has a "Were" hot for her too. AND, well, lots of other people are hot for her too, but not in the way she would prefer. And she is getting tired of running and all the other drama.

Lots more depth and complexity. It just amazes me how deep these books are getting. And how I am now completely sucked (uh..poor choice of words I guess) in with them.

GREAT read!!

message 36: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Nov 23, 2009 09:17AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 36. Grave Sight (Harper Connelly Book 1) by Charlaine Harris

I really like this author. With this series, she really likes to keep you guessing. My only complaint about her (with these books AND the "Sookie Stackhouse" books) is how she can go the whole book without any bad language and then all of the sudden, "WHAM!!", you get hit with tons of it. Which is disappointing, only in that the books are already really good without it, it seems unnecessary and it bothers me.

That said, this was a REALLY good book. I really enjoy how she writes and how she develops her characters, and how, even with their "gifts", they are so very human, in their choices and experiences. And that is what keeps me coming back.

Harper and her brother Tolliver are great characters. And the way this story unfolds around them, makes you feel all the emotions you would feel if you were watching a friend go through it. I cannot even begin to review this book without giving SO much of it away. It is one you have to experience for yourself.

Really good read!!

message 37: by Stacie (new)

Stacie (stacieh) | 1757 comments The Harper Connelly books are on my list of "Books I've been thinking about trying". I think you've just given me the push to get it from my library :)

message 38: by Meghanly (new)

Meghanly | 253 comments YEA for Charlaine Harris! YEA for SOokie Stackhouse! I have been on the waiting list FOREVER at my library for the new Sookie book. I think I am number 3 now.... still waaaaiting. If it wasn't hardback, I would just buy the durn thing!

message 39: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments Oh nooooo Meghan!! I hope you get it soon. I am on book 4 of those and book 2 of the Harper Connelly books. LOVE her!! What a great writer. I may try another one of her series.

Stacie, if you get them, let me know how you like them.

message 40: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 37. Aunt Dimity: Vampire Hunter by Nancy Atherton

I am now torn to which of these books I like the best. I still think the Christmas one is my favorite, but this one (which was amazing and better than the last one) is a VERY close second. Or maybe even tied.

The twins have started school. Lori is a wreck and not coping well with them being gone. But when Lori and Bill are called to the school and the boys are accused of lying about seeing a "vampire", Lori (with the help of Kit Smith AND the estimable Aunt Dimity) goes out to try and prove that her sons aren't liars and in the process finds, stories untold, people (who end up friends) and love she never expected to find. And she also finds that love, even from those you've known for forever, is the best love ever!!!

SUPER great read!!!!

message 41: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Apr 25, 2009 12:12AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 38. Aunt Dimity Slays the Dragon by Nancy Atherton

Another really good read by this author. I have really been enjoying this series a lot.

In this book, Lori is feeling chastised for her "over-active" imagination. She still hasn't lived down the "vampire" incident--and she is especially feeling it from her beloved friend Dimity. So, she reigns herself in and strives to be more like her neighbor and friend Emma.

Trouble is, Lori is a "mystery-magnet" and as soon as its announced that a "Renaissance Fair" is coming to Finch (and along with it, hordes of tourists and all the problems they bring), trouble finds Lori (no matter HOW hard she tries to ignore it)---can she protect those she loves and those she has just met or will her "flights of fancy" be her downfall again???

Delightful!

39.Donovan's Daughter by Lori Wick
This was a re-read. I needed something light. There have been too many "dead" bodies lately (a hazard when you read Charlaine Harris). This is a quick and easy read. It is one of my favorites of the series. I read it when I need reminded that I need to be content with where I am and with what I have.

message 42: by Dawn Michelle (last edited Nov 23, 2009 09:19AM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 40. Grave Surprise by Charlaine Harris
I am really enjoying reading the different series by Charlaine Harris. I really like her writing style and how I never confuse Sookie for Harper and vice-versa.

The book finds Harper and her "brother"/best friends/traveling companion Tolliver in Memphis at a college to do a "reading" (for lack of a better word) at an old cemetery. They have been called/invited by a professor (who's college he works for is part of the cemetery, though on the outskirts of the actually college) who wants to debunk what Harper does (the records of the cemetery have been sealed and only recently discovered). Until she she gets them right. All of them. Then he starts believing. And then she find the body of a girl who she had been called in to "search for" in Nashville 18 months earlier and everyone freaks and thinks that Harper knows HOW the body got there.

And then, another body is found. And the questions keep coming. Can Harper find out who is doing all the killing before she OR Tolliver are the next victims?

Creepy and confusing. Good read!

message 43: by Angie H (new)

Angie H I love Lori Wick she is one of my favorite authors. Donavan's Daughter was from the first series I read of hers back in grade 9 I think! =)my favorite books by her are " The Hawk and the Jewel" and " Pretense".

message 44: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments I really enjoy her too. I have most of her books. My two favorites are "Sophie's Heart" and "The Princess". I could read those over and over again and never get tired of them!

message 45: by Dawn Michelle (last edited May 11, 2009 07:36PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 41. An Ice Cold Grave (Harper Connelly Book 3) by Charlaine Harris

WOW! This one had be guessing for quite awhile. And even then I wasn't sure. She (the author)uses "red herrings" very well.

This book finds Harper and Tolliver in rural North Carolina. They have been called in to try and find the bodies of 6 boys that have disappeared over the course of 8 years (and weren't thought to be runaways).

When Harper not only finds the 6 but also 2 unknowns (in a grotesque way that will haunt her for forever), she thinks she is done and they are out of there.

But then Harper is attacked and more strange things happen and you have to wonder, will Harper get out of this one alive!!

Best of the three!!!

message 46: by Dawn Michelle (last edited May 11, 2009 07:37PM) (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments 42. The Yiddish Policemen's Union by Michael Chabon

GACK!!! BLAH!!!!UGH!!!

Does that sufficiently explain how I feel about this book??? UGH!!! HOW can people think that this was a GREAT READ??? I didn't even remotely understand at least 98% of it!!!

DID NOT enjoy it and far from explaining things, the end just made it more confusing than ever!! GACK!!!!!

message 47: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulagrin) | 148 comments But tell us how you really feel. :)

message 48: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments OH MY GOSH!!! This book took me DAYS to finish. And I really didn't understand most of it. And it was just awful! GACK!! I DO NOT recommend this one to you at all.

message 49: by Paula (new)

Paula (paulagrin) | 148 comments Then I will be sure not to read it! What are you reading right now that you like?

message 50: by Dawn Michelle (new)

Dawn Michelle | 2669 comments I am reading the second of the Aunt Dimity books which my mom did not have and I finally got from e-bay. And then I think I will be reading "Holes". YAY YAY YAY!!! And Friday I am going to both B&N AND Borders and getting books (hopefully the Sookie books I need) because I have three good coupons!!! YAY!!

What are you reading?

« previous 1 3