Basically Books! discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
Former Group Reads > American Gods by Neil Gaiman (June 2012 Group Read)

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
GoodReads Description

After three years in prison, Shadow has done his time. But as the days, then the hours, then the minutes, then the seconds until his release tick away, he can feel a storm building. Two days before he gets out, his wife Laura dies in a mysterious car crash, in apparently adulterous circumstances. Dazed, Shadow travels home, only to encounter the bizarre Mr. Wednesday claiming to be a refugee from a distant war, a former god and the king of America. Together they embark on a very strange journey across the States, along the way solving the murders which have occurred every winter in one small American town. But they are being pursued by someone with whom Shadow must make his peace... Disturbing, gripping and profoundly strange, Neil Gaiman's epic new novel sees him on the road to finding the soul of America.

Feel free to talk about the whole book but please use the spoiler brackets where necessary.

< spoiler > write your message here < / spoiler >

(without spaces)

Mirvan. Ereon (mirvanereon) | 16 comments I love this book so much! One of my favorites. Surreal and urban at the same time, I love how it makes me feel that this can really happen in the real world and we just do not know that is.. =P

Jeshu (jeshusauria) I love this book too! It immediately became one of my favourites. However, it was a little bit difficult to follow at the beginning :P

Jessika (jessika_56) I read it a few months ago, but I thought it was difficult to follow at the beginning, as well. Overall, it was kind of a slow read for me. Not my favorite Gaiman book.

Jeshu (jeshusauria) I agree with that. It was very hard to follow at the beginning, but I was very intrigued by the story so, despite the "slow motion" of the events, I kept turning pages like mad.

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Tara, I hope you don't mind me taking over the group discussion (winter holidays are approaching, which is a synonym of TIME!)

message 7: by Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥) , The Great & Mighty Mod! :P (new)

Tara-Jayne (♥ I Read, I Love ♥)  Bell (tjchocolate) | 1628 comments Mod
Of course you are a mod too :D

Paula I am loving the book and almost done. It helps if you have some background in mythology, I think you get more out of it. That said, I'm planning on brushing up on my mythology and then re-reading American Gods.

Jeshu (jeshusauria) Sounds like a good plan! It is actually very hard to understand if you don't know who is who in which mythology. It happened to me with some characters at the time.

message 10: by Liz (new) - rated it 4 stars

Liz (lizbrewin) | 2 comments I really liked this book. it was pretty heavy and complex and not a book i would recommend to everyone. Going over many of the themes and scenes in my mind. Do want to look up mythology bg.

Paula I'm finding that "Don't know much about mythology" is a great primer. Reading it now.

Stephanie (ramblingfish) | 8 comments Sorry it took so long to put this up. I kind of forgot. Plus it took me almost a whole month to read the book! Which is very odd for me...

I actually wasn't sure if I liked this book or not until the last few chapters. I just really couldn't get into it that much. I did like it though, it's just not one of my favorites. I didn't really like the extra parts that weren't really part of the main plot. I think those could have been left out.

Paula I kept seeing the main theme as the American melting pot of gods from all these countries and people's beliefs. The book was pretty amazing.