Delirity discussion

Author L > His Fair Assassin - R.L. LaFevers

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Heather (last edited Jul 29, 2014 11:44AM) (new)

Heather T (horrorvacui000) | 5931 comments Mod
Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by Robin LaFevers Dark Triumph (His Fair Assassin, #2) by Robin LaFevers Mortal Heart (His Fair Assassin, #3) by Robin LaFevers

message 2: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I was surprised by how much I liked this one. Historicals are iffy for me and I thought this might be one that I give up. It didn't take me long to get caught up in the book and try to find a way to turn the page faster.

At the start of the book I found myself to be slightly disturbed by the concept, these terrorized girls taken to a convent and raised to be assassins. That they were encouraged to learn the art as a way to get back at men like those that hurt them.

I really liked how my opinion of the main characters changed from the start of the book to the end. Each one was pretty sure of who they were and what they stood for, however at the end their eyes were opened and they were able to see more.

I was surprised by all the political intrigue. I found myself feeling sorry for Anne, the duchess. Here she is, still a girl, yet had all these hard things happening to her and people betraying her left and right. I was surprised to see who the bad guy was and his reasoning behind his actions.

I look forward to reading more in this series, especially if the next book has the characters I think they will.

message 3: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments I hope some members read this one. I was surprised by how much I liked it. It's a good story to discuss.

Like you Darcy, I'm looking forward to reading the next one.

message 4: by Heather (new)

My library actually has it so I might just try it.

message 5: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments I hope you do, Heather. It'd be interesting to see what you think.

message 6: by Joseph (last edited Jun 03, 2012 11:35AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 8 comments I gave it 4 stars. To me, it was a very fast-paced romantic young adult historical fantasy adventure. It has everything! It is a many-paged book, but it's not a long read at all. I'm really looking forward to the sequel.

message 7: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments That definitely makes me get to some books sooner, too. ;)

message 8: by Heather (new)

I just got it, but I also got a lot of sequels to good series I've been reading. What to read first?

message 9: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments How about tossing them in a box, shaking it and then start pulling out books. lol

message 10: by Heather (new)

It's looking good so far. I'm curious to see where it'll go.

message 11: by Heather (last edited Jun 17, 2012 02:10AM) (new)

I'm not sure what I was expecting going into this, but I really enjoyed it. It sounds like something I would read, and yet I had no will to read it, so thank you all for picking this one. Darcy, thank you too. If you hadn't recommended it, I don't know if I would have picked it up.
I'm very excited to see where this series will go.
Hmm...book 2 mentions a wounded knight. I'm very excited by this turn of events.

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments Don't you love it when a book surprises you by how much you like it.

message 13: by Brianna (new)

Brianna | 35 comments I guess this book took a lot of us by surprise! :) Honestly I didn't even really look at it before I started reading because it had been recommended to me, so I was surprised it was historical at all! Then I wasn't sure if I would like it, but I got sucked in. It was different than most of the things I read, so that probably helped it a lot.

I really liked Beast's character and I would love to see more of his and Ismae's friendship in the next book (view spoiler). The next book talks about Sybella and a wounded knight (view spoiler). I'm excited about this series.

message 14: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments It is an awesome story. I'm glad you liked it, Brianna and Heather, since I knew how much Darcy and I liked it. :)

After some snooping on her website, I found this:

"After Grave Mercy comes Dark Triumph, the second book in the His Fair Assassin trilogy. This book will focus on poor embattled Sybella. When the convent sends her an order to free a wounded knight, it sets her on a journey to face her dark past and find a way back to hope and forgiveness and redemption. While the book will focus on Sybella and Beast, Ismae and Duval are in it as well, but in a more supporting role. After that will be the third book in the trilogy, Mortal Heart, which will feature Annith's story. They are sequels to each other in that they continue the drama of the duchess trying to hold onto her kingdom, but the different stages of that struggle are seen through the eyes of the three different girls."

message 15: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I really am excited to read about Beast, Sybella not as much.

message 16: by Heather (new)

I agree with you Darcy. Although, maybe we'll learn to love her. How sad is it that we only care about the boy?

message 17: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments I think it is because she was written so crazy.

message 18: by Heather (new)

I can see that Amy. I spent most of the book wondering why I was intrigued and still curious instead of putting it down. I really enjoyed it and still questioned what made me interested in it to begin with. Hopefully the end balances it out for you.

message 19: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (sunnytat462) | 2770 comments That happens to me with some books. I like them, but can't read them all at once, I have to break them up with something more fun. It doesn't mean that I don't like them, just that they are harder for me to read.

message 20: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments The only part that was slow for me was when she was in the abbey and "training" but then it picked up quickly after that and I almost wished there had been more detail with the training. I guess the author just can't win with me sometimes.

message 21: by Samantha (new)

Samantha | 432 comments I'm glad you found some parts you liked, Amy. I thought Ismae and Duval worked well together. The author did a good job with their romance, imo.