Brewing Tea Bag discussion

The Peach Keeper Discussions

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Debra (last edited Jun 02, 2012 10:56AM) (new)

Debra (debrasbookcafe) | 29 comments Mod
So this is the book that we are reading for the month of June 2012...

I absolutely love Sarah Addison Allen... After reading her other books, this is the last on my list to read. When I was about 40 pages inI could feel the magic in the air.... Now I am 162 pages in and I can't seem to put it down.....

If any of you guys are reading this at the moment, I would love to hear how you are doing?

Debs :-)

message 2: by Annette (new)

Annette I can't believe this is June's book - it's fate, I just ordered it from Waterstones; I've read Garden Spells (which I loved, and which reminded me of Practical Magic the movie, just a tad).

I'm looking forward to reading this one - when it arrives.

message 3: by Carolyn F. (new)

Carolyn F. I read it in March and loved the book too - 5 stars. Debra I've also enjoyed every Sarah Addison Allen book I've read. I love how the magic almost feels like a soft wind in all of her books. Can't wait to see what you guys think!

message 4: by Debra (new)

Annie wrote: "I can't believe this is June's book - it's fate, I just ordered it from Waterstones; I've read Garden Spells (which I loved, and which reminded me of Practical Magic the movie, just a tad).

I'm lo..."

Excellent!! Looking forward to hearing how you get on with it.... :-)

message 5: by Annette (new)

Annette Okay, picked up my copy this morning!

I have lots to do today, so I only allowed myself to read the first 22 pages. I'm going to try and make some comments without giving away spoilers!

I love the opening pages - beautiful. I also loved the way SAA sprinkles magic into her prose (and ordinary events) "if anyone had been paying attention to the signs...".

SAA seems to get inside of her character's heads and squeeze out the things that make them human. She might write in the third person, but it feels like it's the first to me...
"This was what her daydreams had come to. She fantasised about keeping a box of donuts on her kitchen counter and having no one comment on them."

Collin is a really interesting development! Does Willa get a Happily Ever After ending?

I love the sense of community and connection tying these pages together. The book's utterly charming so far - I'm a fan! And the gorgeous green paperback cover doesn't hurt at all.

Anyone else reading it for the first time?

message 6: by Annette (new)

Annette Anyone know what kind of font TPK is published in? (Strange question, I know, sorry!)

message 7: by Debra (new)

Annie wrote: "Anyone know what kind of font TPK is published in? (Strange question, I know, sorry!)"

Sorry Annie, I don't know :-)

message 8: by Annette (new)

Annette Okay, all done now.

Umm... so some discussion stuff.

I thought Sebastian was the perfect hero for Paxton, I'm trying to think of how he could have been made better and I just can't...
I actually enjoyed Paxton's parts more than Willa's as the book progressed, but I can't put my finger on why exactly. Anyone feel the same?

The only slow part of the book for me was the trip to the waterfall, everything else held me captive. Does anyone else have a part they liked less than the rest (or more than)?

What kind of bird were the yellow and black ones?

I would have liked more whimsical magic moments (e.g. the club meeting) in the second half of the book, they seemed to fade off a little as the plot got underway. Anyone else?

message 9: by Debra (new)

Annie wrote: "Okay, all done now.."

Great updates Annie.... You read that one really quickly!! Once I picked up this one I could not stay away from it.... Completely agree about the Sebastian and Paxton thing....

I am afraid I have no idea what the yellow and black birds are, sorry...

I was so sad when I finished this story as I would have loved for it to go on longer.. The book wasn't very long so maybe another 100 pages would have hit the spot......

:-)

message 10: by Debra (new)

Carolyn F. wrote: "I read it in March and loved the book too - 5 stars. Debra I've also enjoyed every Sarah Addison Allen book I've read. I love how the magic almost feels like a soft wind in all of her books. Can'..."

The magic in her books is so wonderful... Its as if she has cast a spell over us readers... Love it! :-)

message 11: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (armchairdreamer) | 7 comments Annie wrote: "Okay, all done now.

I thought Sebastian was the perfect hero for Paxton, I'm trying to think of how he could have been made better and I just can't...
I actually..."

I also liked Paxton better. I think it was because she seemed like such a nice likeable person and I felt sorry for her because she found it impossible to break away from her mother's control. Willa on the other hand seemed very stand-offish and would not have been a very easy person to get to know.

message 12: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 4 comments Mod
Kelly wrote: "Annie wrote: "Okay, all done now.

I thought Sebastian was the perfect hero for Paxton, I'm trying to think of how he could have been made better and I just can't..."

I thought the same at the beginning I liked Willa more but I feel like Paxtons growth was more transparent and endearing.

message 13: by Drew (new)

Drew Constance (Authenticangelblissgmailcom) | 4 comments Mod
Debra wrote: "Annie wrote: "Okay, all done now.."

Great updates Annie.... You read that one really quickly!! Once I picked up this one I could not stay away from it.... Completely agree about the Sebastian ..."

I know right I got to the end and then there was the acknowledgments and I wished I could have had more because I was only really getting to know them.

message 14: by Paula (new)

Paula Although I liked this book, it wasn't a favorite for me. It just didn't have as much "magic" to it as the others did.

message 15: by Debra (new)

Paula wrote: "Although I liked this book, it wasn't a favorite for me. It just didn't have as much "magic" to it as the others did."

My favourite of hers has to be The Girl who chased the moon... Loved that one... :-)

message 16: by Paula (new)

Paula Debra wrote: "Paula wrote: "Although I liked this book, it wasn't a favorite for me. It just didn't have as much "magic" to it as the others did."

My favourite of hers has to be The Girl who chased the moon... ..

I think my favorite is "Sugar Queen".

message 17: by Kelly (new)

Kelly (armchairdreamer) | 7 comments Debra wrote: "Paula wrote: "Although I liked this book, it wasn't a favorite for me. It just didn't have as much "magic" to it as the others did."

My favourite of hers has to be The Girl who chased the moon... ..."

Although I like all her books, I would have to say The Girl Who Chased the Moon is my favorite as well.

message 18: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (mellareviews) | 4 comments Mod
Annie wrote: "I can't believe this is June's book - it's fate, I just ordered it from Waterstones; I've read Garden Spells (which I loved, and which reminded me of Practical Magic the movie, just a tad).

I'm lo..."

I don't know if you're still reading this book, but if you finished it did you notice that Clare Waverly(character from Garden Spells) was put in this story? I got so excited when they mentioned her name.

message 19: by Debra (new)

Melissa wrote: "Annie wrote: "I can't believe this is June's book - it's fate, I just ordered it from Waterstones; I've read Garden Spells (which I loved, and which reminded me of Practical Magic the movie, just a..."

Oooooh, I completely missed that one.... Now going back to take a look... :-)

message 20: by Annette (new)

Annette Yep, I noticed that one! :)