Happily Ever After Cafe discussion

Chatting About Books > What Books Did You Read in High School?

Comments Showing 1-50 of 100 (100 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Okay, so I am in high school and we are always reading new books in my Language Arts class. I was just wondering, what books do/did you read in you LA class? Or just high school in general? Have fun!

message 2: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Well, I did high school in the 70s. So, unfortunately, it was too far back to remember much. I remember some of the classics (Shakespeare, Twain and that sort) but not sure what was read for school and what I read 'cause I wanted to.

message 3: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments We read some good books in my LA class this year, like Of Mice and Men and Anthem by Ayn Rand. I especially enjoyed anthem. We also read Shakespeare, Romeo and Juliet, and I ended up reading The Tempest on my own time.

message 4: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I can't remember them all, either... But here are some.

Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck 1984 by George Orwell The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck

message 5: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments I remember vividly reading "The Lady in the Lake" by Raymond Chandler. It lit a fire that's never gone out.

message 6: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Oh yes, I had to read animal farm by George Orwell. My teacher was insane about anything to do with communism.

message 7: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I know we read William Shakespeare too. I'm trying to remember which ones... but all I remember is Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare .

message 8: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments If she made you read "Anthem" she must have been!

message 9: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "I know we read William Shakespeare too. I'm trying to remember which ones... but all I remember is Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare."

We read 12th Night, Macbeth and Julius Caesar and brilliant they were too.

message 10: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Well, I've read most of Shakespeare since then; however, from high school R&J is the only one I really remember. Lord, I remember that class. I can still picture it. LOL!

message 11: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Well, I've read most of Shakespeare since then; however, from high school R&J is the only one I really remember. Lord, I remember that class. I can still picture it. LOL!"

Likewise I've read most of them but the school one's really made an impression.

message 12: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Yes, he was a mess! In my junior high LA class we read To Kill a Mockingbird. That book was phenomenal! And Also tangerine. Tangerine

message 13: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Loved To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee . I'm pretty sure I read that one before high-school. I'm thinking of revisiting it via audiobook.

message 14: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Romeo and Juliet and Julius Caesar were the two Shakespeare plays I do know we read.

message 15: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Jordan wrote: "Yes, he was a mess! In my junior high LA class we read To Kill a Mockingbird. That book was phenomenal! And Also tangerine. Tangerine"

Mockingbird is class I've just re-read it. That book will stay with me forever.

message 16: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Ah! Yes! **Lisa Kay dusts off cobwebs** I definitely remember reading Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare in HS. LOL! Lord, what a class.

message 17: by Hayley (last edited Jun 02, 2012 11:23AM) (new)

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 951 comments Let's See! In my HS, here are a few that I read/had to read:

The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne Hamlet by William Shakespeare Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald Lord of the Flies by William Golding Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston

Now these were just required books. Funny thing is, my school didn't once do Romeo and Juliet, Crazy huh?

message 18: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments We read The Giver also. But to Kill a Mockingbird was definetly a favorite!

message 19: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Good list that although I haven't read Their Eyes Were Watching God.

message 20: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Its really weird because I have never read Julius Caesar! Wuthering Heights is one of those books I know I will have to read on my own, though.

message 21: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments JC is a fantastic play and really speaks about the nature of greed tyranny and the abuse of power. WH is just a must read for anyone who wants to be able to write and tell stories.

message 22: by Hayley (new)

Hayley (mrsjohnson1985) | 951 comments I really enjoyed Their Eyes Were Watching God. I actually read it after high school too! And Julius Caesar is good!

message 23: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments My teacher picks random books for us to read that really have nothing to do with what we are learning. if I had to be honest with myself, we should have read Julius Caesar months ago, especially since, from what I have heard of it, matched our learning curriculum to tee this year.

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) OHHHHHHH I can remember what we read because it was usually books that I didn't care for LOL These are the ones I remember ranging from Middle School-High School.

Treasure Island by Robert Louis Stevenson Lord of the Flies by William Golding Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee A Raisin in the Sun by Lorraine Hansberry The Red Pony by John Steinbeck 1984 by George Orwell Where the Red Fern Grows by Wilson Rawls Animal Farm by George Orwell The Call of the Wild by Jack London A Clockwork Orange by Anthony Burgess A Separate Peace by John Knowles The Old Man and the Sea by Ernest Hemingway The Clan of the Cave Bear & The Valley of Horses (Earth's Children, #1-2) by Jean M. Auel The Legend of Sleepy Hollow by Washington Irving The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank The Hiding Place by Corrie Ten Boom Beowulf A New Verse Translation by Unknown The Canterbury Tales by Geoffrey Chaucer The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger Flowers for Algernon by Daniel Keyes Kidnapped by Robert Louis Stevenson Kim by Rudyard Kipling Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes The Scarlet Letter  by Nathaniel Hawthorne A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens Wuthering Heights by Emily Brontë The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald The Good Earth by Pearl S. Buck Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare Hamlet by William Shakespeare

message 25: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I remember Johnny Tremain from school. I read Call of the Wild too but I think it was because I wanted to. I think I also had to read Island of Blue Dolphins but I didn't care for it.

message 26: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments You know I read Island of the Blue Dolphins, and its weird because I assumed no one had ever heard of that book, until I started reading that everyone read that book in school.

message 27: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (last edited Jun 02, 2012 12:57PM) (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I've never read Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes , but I do remember The Grapes of Wrath by John Steinbeck Animal Farm by George Orwell The Diary of a Young Girl by Anne Frank A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens

Some of those that Robin listed I read before high-school.

message 28: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments I read Anne Frank too but I think I read it because I wanted too.

message 29: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Ive never read Anne Frank, but you'd think that we would.

message 30: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Great book. I saw her sister's suitcase at Auschwitz. Very moving

message 31: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments You saw Ammeter Frank's sisters suitcase. That is cool!

message 32: by Ian (last edited Jun 02, 2012 02:04PM) (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments I believe every every young person should see Auschwitz to see the barbarity of Nazism

message 33: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments *Anne Franks. Stupid auto correct

message 34: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments I've kept a reading list since HS, so I'm not going to try to link any of these right now, just C&P. I also had a lot of lit classes in college, so if you really want me to, I can come back later and share those titles with you.

High School

Freshman Year:

The Witch of Blackbird Pond by Elizabeth George Spear
Good Old Boys by Willie Morris
Animal Farm by George Orwell (half the freshman read this, half [i]1984[/i])
To Kill a Mockingbird by Harper Lee (reread this last year)
Jane Eyre by Charlotte Bronte (Read on my own, read again in college)
Lord of the Flies by William Golding (did not like)
Romeo and Juliet by William Shakespeare (and watched movie)
West Side Story by Arthur Laurents (and watched movie)
Hiroshima by John Hersey
All Summer in a Day by Ray Bradbury
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Salinger (I think this first reading was on my own, did not like it)

Sophomore Year:

Tisha by Robert Specht
The Book of the Dun Cow by Walter Wangerin, Jr. ("Marrrrroooonnnneeeedddd!")
Last of the Wine by Mary Renolt (for history class)
A Midsummer Night’s Dream by William Shakespeare
Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck (Watched older movie; I recently saw a newer version I liked, too)
You Come Too by Robert Frost
Brave New World by Aldous Huxley
The Clocks by Agatha Christie (Okay, read this on my own, but it's a classic mystery, so have to include it)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker
Ordinary People by Judith Guest (We also watched the movie)
The Catcher in the Rye by JD Sallinger (Yes, again...didn't like it any better the second time)
Julius Caesar by William Shakespeare

Junior Year:

The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain (first book we read junior year, and every subsequent book was compared to it. In short, I ended up hating it this first time through.)
Never Cry Wolf by Farley Mowat
One Flew Over the Cuckoo’s Nest by Ken Kesey (watched movie)
Anthem by Ayn Rand
Thirteen Stories by Eudora Welty (I only remember one story in the entire book)
Night Shift by Stephen King (Yes, we read this for English class, and it is the reason I cannot sleep at night if the closet door is not closed)
The Death of a Salesman by Arthur Miller
And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie (Again, read on my own, but it's a classic!)
The Bear by William Faulkner
The ABC Murders by Agatha Christie (read on my own)
The Color Purple by Alice Walker (yes, again)
Love Story by Erich Segal (I don't recall if this was for class or on my own)
The Autobiography of Benjamin Franklin by Ben Franklin
My Antonia by Willa Cather
Walden and Civil Disobedience by Henry David Thoreau
The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald (Did not like)
A Tree Grows in Brooklyn by Betty Smith (think this was on my own)
Les Misérables (the unabridged 1463 page version) by Victor Hugo (I took this abroad with me during the summer; it lasted all two months I was gone)

Senior Year:

Macbeth by William Shakespeare (was followed by seeing Hamlet at local theater)
The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles (Three connected plays)
Le Petit Prince (The Little Prince) by Antoine de Saint-Exupéry (Read in French class)
Emma by Jane Austen (The one Austen I do not like)
An Enemy of the People by Henrik Ibsen
A Separate Peace by John Knowles (Don't recall if this was for class or on my own)
Le Client le Plus Obstiné du Monde by Georges Simenon (Read for French class)
Faust by Johann Wolfgang Von Goerthe

message 35: by Ian (new)

Ian Butler (burgerbardad) | 98 comments Heather L wrote: "I've kept a reading list since HS, so I'm not going to try to link any of these right now, just C&P. I also had a lot of lit classes in college, so if you really want me to, I can come back later a..."

great list. well rounded

message 36: by Pamela(AllHoney), Fairy Godmother (new)

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) | 14526 comments Wow, great list, Heather!

Robin (Saturndoo) (robinsaturndoo) We read Hiroshima in high school and then I had to read it again in College and write a paper on it.

I remember reading these too in high school. The Oedipus Cycle by Sophocles (Three connected plays)
and My Antonia by Willa Cather

At the end of every school year, we were given a list of books with questions for each book. Over the summer we had to read like 6 books from the list, keep a journal and answer the list of questions for the books we read. When the next school year started, we had to turn the journals and Q&A sheets in. Does anyone else remember having to do this?

message 38: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Woah, Heather you are my hero. that is amazing! ypi read way more in your high school classes than I ever will!

message 39: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Neat list, Heather! It is all coming back to me now, LOL! I'm just having a bit of trouble remember if some were assigned reading or some I just chose to read.

I do remember everyone talking about The Catcher in the Rye, by JD Sallinger, and how we were going to have to read it. I kept waiting and waiting, but it never was. So, I picked it up on my own. I didn't like it either and never finished it.

message 40: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Robin wrote: "We read Hiroshima in high school and then I had to read it again in College and write a paper on it."

Gosh, how could I have forgotten that?

message 41: by Jordan (new)

Jordan Connell (tinkerer) | 271 comments Everyone I've ever talked to has said they didn't really enjoy catcher in the rye. i haven't gotten around to reading it, I don't even know what it is about!

message 42: by Lucy (new)

Lucy (DisneyPrincess354) | 1 comments I'm in eighth grade and this year we read Of Mice and Men, The Tempest, Great Expectations, Life of Pi, and Night. I don't remember everything we read last year but I know we read Lord of the Flies, Animal Farm, and And Then There Were None.

message 43: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I loved And Then There Were None by Agatha Christie and the movie. I may re-read it for my Lifetime in Books Challenge and see if it still holds up.

message 44: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Nix that. It was first published in 1939. I not that old. LOL!

message 45: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Thanks, everyone! Glad you all like the high school reading list. I also started Great Expectations end of senior year, but never got to finish it. Borrowed the book from the classroom, and had to turn it in 3/4 of the way through. No idea why I didn't borrow it from the public library and finish it. I did have to read it in college, though, and actually finished it.

And if you think this list is diverse, you should see the college list. Between a theater course, English, French and history, there was quite the variety. I had to sneak in the occasional romance just to stay sane!

message 46: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Lisa Kay wrote: "Nix that. It was first published in 1939. I not that old. LOL!"

ROFL.... It is a great book, though. I recently saw the movie again on PBS. Enjoyed it, though I had forgotten the ending. They (PBS) are showing Cat Among the Pigeons Sunday, noon central time. I have not read or seen that one, but always enjoy the Agatha Christie movies they show on PBS.

message 47: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Oh, yes! Love Agatha Christie. And her books go so well to screen. I'll have to look for Cat Among the Pigeons for Sunday. Thanks!

I've been catching a couple of her Miss Marple on PBS. I even caught David Suchet reprising his role as Hercule Poirot in the recent Halloween movie, which was a nice surprise.

message 48: by Heather L (new)

Heather L  (wordtrix) | 1193 comments Oh, that was a good one! I especially liked Suchet in Murder on the Orient Express, and the special that aired along with it.

message 49: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments I didn't see the special. Drat!

message 50: by Lisa Kay, Tinker Bell (new)

Lisa Kay (lisakayalicemaria) | 21897 comments Have you been watching Sherlock, Heather L? Yet another cliffhanger this year!

« previous 1