The Pen Is Mightier Than The Sword discussion

Writing > Writing Chat

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱ (charlie_awesome) | 766 comments Mod
Chat about writing here:

Work through writers' block etc

message 2: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (fabledhattress) I would love to get over my writers block lol

message 3: by Just Joe (new)

Just Joe (justjoe) Well what usually helps me is reading and or hearing other people's stories or ideas. I can usually get over it like that but sometimes you jut have to wait

message 4: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I usually slap myslef and sit myself in front a computer until I write. screaming usually help

message 5: by Sherri (new)

Sherri (fabledhattress) Lol well I dont have a computer anymore and I've been reading stories, a lot lately

message 6: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I like reading. Yes. That's good

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments I actually don't have writer's block at the moment but when I do it is very very bad.

message 8: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Aw that stinks

message 9: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments I know right. Writer's block just plain stinks. It is a pain in the butt.

message 10: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Yes. Yes it is.

♠Nightmares of Dreamer♠ (nightmaresofdreamer) | 11 comments Okay, this may seem stupid, BUT... Now I started to wonder what to write in chapter. Like feelings and action, or something else?

message 12: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I guess it depends on your story, but I would break it up throughout

♠Nightmares of Dreamer♠ (nightmaresofdreamer) | 11 comments Like what?

message 14: by Holly (new)

Holly | 69 comments Well, you could have an action scene, but keep slipping in references to the emotional side, like the character sees something that reminds them of something or someone from their past. That way you learn more about the character and you can do the whole 'traumatic past' thing pretty easily

♠Nightmares of Dreamer♠ (nightmaresofdreamer) | 11 comments So for example, this girl meets a guy and he reminds her of someone when he asks her out?

message 16: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Yeah like don't just give the surface, give what's happening inside the character(s) head

message 17: by Holly (new)

Holly | 69 comments Yeah, that would work. But like Charlie said, what the characters thinking is more important than what's going on for something like that

♠Nightmares of Dreamer♠ (nightmaresofdreamer) | 11 comments Oh, alright! Thanks!

message 19: by Holly (new)

Holly | 69 comments Sure:)

message 20: by Just Joe (new)

Just Joe (justjoe) Something that could help is by writing out a character write up. Give basics about how the character acts and look back on it when you arent sure about something, then you could let your mind wander and take on the character and delve deeper into his background with flashbacks and you could even foreshadow which is fun ^_^

message 21: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

lafon حمزة نوفل (lafon) | 178 comments Mod
It's so funny. Usually when I go back and look at some of my old writing I cringe and think to myself: "Oh my God! How could I have written such, well such... tripe!"
But this outline for a story I wrote for NaNoWriMo is actually readable. I think I'll go back and rewrite it.

message 22: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Haha yeah.

Hey it's almost the end of the month, got any ideas for the poetry contest?

message 23: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

ᑕᖺᗩᖇᒪᓰᙓ ˚Gale˚ wrote: "Hey it's almost the end of the month, got any ideas for the poetry contest?"

Oh yeah, I do. However every time I sit down to write my thoughts on each, somehow something comes up for me to do (like dishes, or my computer or internet crashes, or it's dinner time. Odd). Do you mind if I PM you my thoughts after writing "reviews" of each poem in the submission thread?

message 24: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Yup thanks! Just a reminder!

message 25: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie Are you going to set a theme next round?

message 26: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I don't think so, I think it's going to be short stories but I'm not sure if I'm going to do a theme.

message 27: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie short stories... eugh! Can't write a poem at the moment, let alone a short story... I'll probably give that one a miss. Need to find that muse and handcuff her to the bed!

message 28: by lafon حمزة, Pensmaster! (new)

Lynxie wrote: "Need to find that muse and handcuff her to the bed!"

I have found that doing so makes them irritable and rather vindictive. The last time I tried to do that they purposefully gave me writers' block for four months. Usually the best way to get them to help is to bribe them with chocolate.

message 29: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie LOL! Chocolate is banned from the house at the moment. Doing a 10 week fitness challenge! Trying to lose at least 10kgs in 10weeks... maybe that's why the muse has fled. Cranky writer probably doesn't help either!! :P

message 30: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments Charlie this is just a suggestion but instead of a theme, maybe have a writing prompt? I am excited for this contest!!!! :)

message 31: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

That's a good idea! I might do that!

message 32: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie That's a good idea... maybe have like a line or some words that have to be in the writing? One of my other groups did that... they got some fantastic results!

message 33: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments You could have it have a sentence that is required to start the story that we can build off of creatively.

message 34: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Yeah! Okay!

message 35: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments YAY! I can't wait! When are you going to post the winner of the poetry contest? And then when are you going to post the new contest? I am very excited!

message 36: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

Very soon. I believe we have come to a descision but I must make sure before. I post. It will probably be tomorrow, and I'll post the new one!

message 37: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (sarah1324) | 328 comments Yaaaaaayyyyyyyy!!!!!

message 38: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie woohoo!!

¤ᒪᗩﬡᗴ૪¤ What kinds of questions do you guys ask yourself when you're planning a novel? I got the basics down, and now I'm kind of stuck.

message 40: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I wait for the premise to wash over me totally and once I'm totally absorbed in my characters feelings and world, it all begins to make sense.

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments Cool. That's really awesome. I like to get in some way "Attached" to the characters I write about. I give some of them my personality traits, and let them react in a situation like I would.

message 42: by ℂᖺαᖇᒪἷ℮ ⊰1017 &Tardis⊱, This is my witty title (head mod) (new)

I do that a lot.
There's a small peice of me in all my characters.

message 43: by Leah (new)

Leah | 64 comments I know that when I'm writing something, my main character is at least somewhat like me, he/she (usually she) thinks like I do, and I can relate to this character very easily. That makes delving into the character's thoughts and personality a lot easier.

message 44: by Will (new)

Will | 9 comments I've noticed alot of beginner weighters give there charactars to many positve traits and strenghts. They forget to add weaknesses. Weaknesses and fears as well as making them do mistakes makes characters feel more human, It helps people to relate to them.

message 45: by Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ (last edited Aug 12, 2012 01:42PM) (new)

Lucy ~Graphite Wizard~ | 217 comments My character "Quinn". She strongly fears of losing friends. She fears being alone. She also has many good traits. She in a way is based of me. And in a way based of my friends.

☽❣≾Кἆяἆ ☾இ☽ סℯἆด ฬỉฑcჩℯธセℯԻ≿❣☾  | 85 comments My book that i just started, i thin Friday, is The Ritual:

Description for 'The Ritual'

Serena couldn't wait until it was her turn to do the ritual. So when her name finally appears at the opening she is ecstatic. Only if she knew that her destiny, wasn't what she that it was. She that that she would she go and do the ritual and get her wings, but no something much greater was written in the stars for Serena. Something that will test her will to live,and to be good. for the power she receives puts both her and the she loves in grave danger.

Tell me what you think of the plot, or whatever

☽❣≾Кἆяἆ ☾இ☽ סℯἆด ฬỉฑcჩℯธセℯԻ≿❣☾  | 85 comments ok i need help with thinking of a word. it's just one of those times that i can't think of the right word i want to use.

the sentence is: My tears (?????) my reflection.

she is crying and her tears are falling on the mirror, what would be a good word for there. my brain just isn't working.
Thnx

message 49: by Lynxie (new)

Lynxie Distorted?
Refracted?
Caressed?

I personally quite like caressed, it sounds sensual, but isn't really.

« previous 1 3