J.D. Robb discussion

In Death Unplugged > Lef-tenant or loo-tenant

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jonetta (new)

Jonetta (ejaygirl) | 12974 comments Mod
I'm in the "Loo-tenant" column! Of course, I hail from the west (USA).

message 2: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments Loo-tenant as well, good old California USA for me (: i wasn't even aware there WAS another way of saying it...

message 3: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (gmbygrl) | 8 comments I thought saying it as left-tenant was a joke or something lol. I've always pronounced it Loo-tenant.

message 4: by Jen (new)

Jen | 3 comments Loo-tenant for me also. I'm from Central Ontario.

message 5: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (gmbygrl) | 8 comments I always liked bollocks myself. and yes now that I think about it my brother referred to his army LT as left-tenant. But my brother is a sarcastic ass sometimes so I thought it was his way of mocking..... but it might be the military

message 6: by Karen (new)

Karen Allen (tetaknits) | 2 comments Loo-tenant here as well. (Arizona in the US)

message 7: by Grace (new)

Grace  | 42 comments Loo-tenant for me too. I thought that's how everyone said it LOL

message 8: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments Loo-tenant for me. I'm from Arizona. Of course when I met my husband he was a loo-tenant (police officer). Being a smart aleck, I just called him boss.

message 9: by Alex (new)

Alex (alexe11) | 3 comments I think you will find that it is lef-tenant for those of us from the UK and loo-tenant for our North American cousins.

message 10: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments ♨Miz♨ wrote: "Dee wrote: "Loo-tenant for me. I'm from Arizona. Of course when I met my husband he was a loo-tenant (police officer). Being a smart aleck, I just called him boss."

LOL

You should call him "Lo..."

Never thought of it. But now that we're married I am now the boss, of course I let him think he still is. He becomes such a crochety old fart if he thinks he is not in control.

message 11: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments I love Jane Austen movies, and I didn't realize until VERY recently (last few months) that "lef-tenant" was an alternate pronunciation of Lt, rather than some special British rank...

message 12: by Mo (new)

Mo | 22 comments ♨.Miz ♨ wrote: "@ Sarah

My grandparents say "lef-tenant" when talking about anything army etc lol

Oh, I alos love it when Roarke says ''blimey"."

Just started this series .. not a lot of Irish people would say Blimey - that is more British thing and if he was from the slums of Dublin he definitely would not say it - hope I am not going to come across some discrepencies with Roarke in his Irish character.... am only on Book 3 and so far so good.

I would say Lootenant also.

message 13: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth (ezepeze11) | 582 comments I say "Loo-" I wasn't even aware "left- tenant" was a thing!

message 14: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (wynchs) | 19 comments While it is pronounced left-tenet over here in Ireland because Dallas is American I have always pronounced it with the loo part. One thing that sometimes jars the storyline for me is the Irish references which can be wrong. For example the punt line where Roarke says he would give Trudy a punt. well in his time in Ireland there would have been the Euro not the punt. And some of the s!phrases like blimy he would not have used. Saying that it in no way takes away from the story line and I understand when the J D Robb started the series it was the punt. Oh loved the freedom of the 6 counties day which showed how well Robb knows Ireland and the issues here. I love this series and can't wait to read the next one. :-)

message 15: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments Sarah wrote: "While it is pronounced left-tenet over here in Ireland because Dallas is American I have always pronounced it with the loo part. One thing that sometimes jars the storyline for me is the Irish refe..."

Since you have first hand knowledge of the language differences...I think Roarke most often says 'bollocks' is that one right? I don't think I remember him saying blimy though.

message 16: by Sarah (new)

Sarah (wynchs) | 19 comments Yeah that one would be right for the area Roarke was from in the books. I like the fact that in the books it says that the Irish language makes a come back among the rougher part of the Dublin streets which would be nice.

message 17: by Sandra (new)

Sandra | 5 comments Here in Aus its Lef-tenant, but as Sarah said, Dallas is American so I've always used the Loo-tenant for her voice.

I think it originally came from the French, so that would account for the mess. LOL.

message 18: by Sara ♥ (new)

Sara ♥ (saranicole) | 1038 comments Sandra wrote: "I think it originally came from the French, so that would account for the mess. LOL. "

Hahaha! Amen to that!

message 19: by Chelsealuv (new)

Chelsealuv Krigbaum one thing I do wish about the series is J.D. Robb wrote Roarke with his Irish accent. sometimes I forget he even has one.

message 20: by Judy (new)

Judy (bigfootgal) | 106 comments Chelsealuv wrote: "one thing I do wish about the series is J.D. Robb wrote Roarke with his Irish accent. sometimes I forget he even has one."

Listen to the audio books read by Susan Erickson. For me it sounds just Irish enough for the "hint of Irish" in Roarke's speech. I love hearing it.

message 21: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I love listening to the in death books rather than reading them. I suppose it is in part listening to Roarke's voice and the other voices like Feeney or Summerset. Other authors it is the opposite. Do other people feel that waY?

message 22: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments I have them all on audible.com and listen all the time. I think if Susan Ericksen ever stops doing this series before Nora does I wouldn't be able to though

message 23: by Elizabeth (new)

Elizabeth | 116 comments I'm about 50/50. I started the series in audio, so I loved hearing the voices (especially Roarke's accent -- I don't think I'd be able to hear it in my head when I'm reading without that, and that's one of my favorite aspects of him!) But I have a copy of every one in actual book form too. Like the option of switching back & forth!

message 24: by Dawn (new)

Dawn | 3237 comments I think I have about 25 of them on my kindle. I do read them as well, it depends on my mood. They are my bedtime routine though

message 25: by Dee (new)

Dee Sauter (indeathaddict) | 1070 comments I also have the pb versions, but I usually listen to the audio. I think I have about 25 or 30 CDs. I have about 15 or 20 of the PB versions.

message 26: by Vera (new)

Vera Maslow | 446 comments I have only listened to 1 of the audio books. I'm bigger on reading it, but been getting more and more into audio books so that I can multitask and enjoy the book!