UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Read Sales in the Sunset

Comments Showing 1-50 of 99 (99 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments I thought it might be useful to have somewhere to compare notes about sales? For example, is it just me or have anyone else's sales fallen off a cliff this weekend?

message 2: by Patti (baconater) (last edited Jun 02, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sorry Phil, I don't understand the thread title? It's a bit obscure.

message 3: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Sorry Phil, I don't understand the thread title? It's a bit obscure."

Ok. I'm probably trying to be too clever for my own good - sorry! Shall I change it?

message 4: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 02, 2012 08:09AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments They are authors patti. Why would they say "sales are down' when they can say 'the sales figures danced into the sunset with the amazonian goddess, beautiful, enchanting but unfortunately destined to wither and die like a spring flower in the autumn"

Hmmm, I think I am getting the hang of this....

message 5: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Admittedly my baseline is pretty low, but I've had more US sales this month than last month... bearing in mind that this month is less than 2 days old!

message 6: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "They are authors patti. Why would they say "sales are down' when they can say 'the sales figures danced into the sunset with the amazonian goddess, beautiful, enchanting but unfortunately destined ..."

Yeah, that sounds about right.

I guess I imagined this thread could be somewhere to celebrate triumphs and commiserate over disasters, but we'll see if there's any interest.

message 7: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Philip wrote: "I thought it might be useful to have somewhere to compare notes about sales? For example, is it just me or have anyone else's sales fallen off a cliff this weekend?"

Philip, I don't believe this! This is just what I was discussing with my husband - is it just me, or is it a weekend thing, this weekend? In the UK, Jubilee stuff - ist weekend of the month so everyone's out spending money - who knows, but so glad not just me!

Oh, go on, tell me it's just me, then. I'm horrible, and my books are rubbish, right? What's that? Paranoid, over-sensitive creative type? Nah!!

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Terry wrote: "Philip wrote: "I thought it might be useful to have somewhere to compare notes about sales? For example, is it just me or have anyone else's sales fallen off a cliff this weekend?"

Philip, I don't..."

That's two of us then! Beats me. It was as if someone had thrown a switch.

message 9: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments J.S. wrote: "Admittedly my baseline is pretty low, but I've had more US sales this month than last month... bearing in mind that this month is less than 2 days old!"

Well, that's encouraging. Regrettably, my books about growing up in Burton upon Trent are not wildly popular in the U.S. Can't think why ;-)

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments The word read is confusing the heck outta me. Just cause you buy a book doesn't mean you technically read it........

message 11: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Well I thought it was a damned clever thread title. I guffawed. I felt bad about it though when I realised it was about falling sales.
Commiserations, she said, stifling a titter!

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "The word read is confusing the heck outta me. Just cause you buy a book doesn't mean you technically read it........"

Probably not, but I guess we authors can hope?

message 13: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Philip wrote: "Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "The word read is confusing the heck outta me. Just cause you buy a book doesn't mean you technically read it........"

Probably not, but I guess we authors can hope?"

I try not to obsess over sales. Because all you can do is your best work, and do your best to promote. I don't even check my chart positions and sales every day - I don't want to start being driven to twittering frenzies of desperation. You know, those thinly veiled 'buy my book, please buy my book' !!! tweets!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Simon (Highwayman) wrote: "They are authors patti. Why would they say "sales are down' when they can say 'the sales figures danced into the sunset with the amazonian goddess, beautiful, enchanting but unfortunately destined ..."

That would be the beer you've got the hang of.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I think he got the hang of beer many years ago.

message 16: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Ignite wrote: "Well I thought it was a damned clever thread title. I guffawed. I felt bad about it though when I realised it was about falling sales.
Commiserations, she said, stifling a titter!"

Thanks for the vote of confidence, Ignite. For the avoidance of doubt (as all good solicitors say) the purpose of this thread was not just for me to have a good old moan about falling sales (although that is a happy side-effect) but to give authors somewhere to discuss sales trends, to consider what may or may not work in terms of promotion and accessing other markets, and to celebrate success in all its forms.

While I'm at it, it would be interesting to know from the readers out there if they have been less inclined to purchase books this weekend and, if so, why?

message 17: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments Red Sails in the Sunset is one of my favourite Colm Wilkinson songs. He does a rock'n'roll version. Now I can't get it out of my head.

As for sales - in the UK, not brilliant at the moment. I'd forgotten the Jubilee. But I rely on Amazon US (default for us Aussies), so I hadn't been worrying.

message 18: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Philip wrote: "Ignite wrote: "Well I thought it was a damned clever thread title. I guffawed. I felt bad about it though when I realised it was about falling sales.
Commiserations, she said, stifling a titter!"..."

Yes, that would be very interesting to know! Mine picked up for one, but not the two that are usually the best sellers - weird! Now I want to be getting on with number 4, but feel I should be tweeting all morning instead! (Nb, and no I DON'T just do those 'buy my book' tweets!!!)

message 19: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Katie wrote: "Red Sails in the Sunset is one of my favourite Colm Wilkinson songs. He does a rock'n'roll version. Now I can't get it out of my head.

As for sales - in the UK, not brilliant at the moment. I'd fo..."

It's very hard for us in the UK, as we need to post links to US too - virtually all my sales are in the UK, and that's fine with me - it's where I want to become more known. The US is too big a market for me to attempt, really!

message 20: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I haven't bought anything for a few days because I've been proofreading something. I am now continuing with the book I interrupted to do that. I don't think the day or weekend or time of year affects my purhcases. I don't know if I'm typical though.

message 21: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Back when I was running my makeup retail business on the side, there would always be a slump in sales near the summer. People save for their holidays go out more because they haven't seen any sunshine for six months etc. Maybe it's the same for books? If they have less time to read due to other activities, so because they read less they just buy books less often?
As a reader, same as Ignite. I buy when I need to buy, and it's more on impulse. Doesn't mean I'm going to read it right away though.

message 22: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Back when I was running my makeup retail business on the side, there would always be a slump in sales near the summer. People save for their holidays go out more because they haven't seen any sunsh..."

Thanks, yours and Ignite's comments were helpful and interesting.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Erm. I've bought (paid for, not freebies) three books in the past two days.

Two yesterday, one this morning. Two yesterday were indie, today's was trad.

They've all gone into my TBR pile. No idea when I'll get to them.

message 24: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Erm. I've bought (paid for, not freebies) three books in the past two days.

Two yesterday, one this morning. Two yesterday were indie, today's was trad.

They've all gone into my TBR pile. No idea..."

We need more like you, Patti ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Katie wrote: "Red Sails in the Sunset is one of my favourite Colm Wilkinson songs. He does a rock'n'roll version. Now I can't get it out of my head.

As for sales - in the UK, not brilliant at the moment. I'd fo..."

Ha! I had no idea it was a song title!!!

Now the thread title makes sense!

message 26: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Katie wrote: "Red Sails in the Sunset is one of my favourite Colm Wilkinson songs. He does a rock'n'roll version. Now I can't get it out of my head.

As for sales - in the UK, not brilliant at the ..."

I'm too obscure, sometimes Patti ;-)

message 27: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Phillip, I've just been reading a book about the whole process that says that summer is a bad time for book sales, period!

message 28: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Red sails in the sunset, way out on the sea,
Oh carry my loved one home safely to me - from memory?

message 29: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I tend to read less in the Summer months as I spend more time on other hobbies.I bought three books this weekend,1 Indie and 2 Trads.

message 30: by Terry (new)

Terry Tyler (terrytyler) | 16 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "I tend to read less in the Summer months as I spend more time on other hobbies.I bought three books this weekend,1 Indie and 2 Trads."

Philip (sarah) - what makes you buy an Indie, as opposed to a trad (I love this!)? V interested. Sometimes if I see a book and I haven't heard of the author I don't know if it's Indie or Trad - some 'Indies' are getting v good at it - ie, publicising themselves as 'published authors' without adding the 'self-' bit in front. All hail to them for doing it, I just can't quite DO THAT! Ditto those who call themselves 'Amazon Best-sellers' because they were number #1 on the sub-sub-sub-genre "romantic>suspense>urban>MiltonKeynes>super-grunge for, like, one DAY!

I realise I have gone off-topic, and apologise. :D

message 31: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I buy mainly indies Terry. That's because I find they don't need to be as formulaic as trads because they aren't writing what the publisher demands but what they are inspired by. That's more likely to inspire me.

I tend to find things either here on the New Releases board, or on Amazon's Meet Our Authors forum. I check out the blurb, the reviews (I'm always a bit iffy if there are lots of 5* by people who've only reviewed that book!) and sometimes the 'Look Inside'. If I'm happy and the genre appeals I'll go for it. I mainly review with highish ratings, something the Amazon brigade aren't keen on, but then, I choose wisely!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments We must remember though that the amazon brigade are a VERY small sample of readers and not to value their opinions too much.

Did that sound harsh? Don't mean it to.

message 33: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Ignite wrote: "Red sails in the sunset, way out on the sea,
Oh carry my loved one home safely to me - from memory?"

That's the one!

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I'm older than I (think I) look!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments You are incredibly young compared to rocks.

message 36: by Elle (last edited Jun 04, 2012 08:14AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Katie wrote: "Red Sails in the Sunset is one of my favourite Colm Wilkinson songs. He does a rock'n'roll version. Now I can't get it out of my head.

As for sales - in the UK, not brilliant at the ..."

HERE HERE! Makes complete sense now.

LOL

message 37: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments PS: RE: not buying this weekend.

Well I did buy a lot on Friday I think it was but they were all trad's.

But anyway, weekends for me always mean going outside. I get much more reading done during the week. When Summer hits especially I spend a lot of time out doors when there is natural light (and even sometimes in the pitch black)

message 38: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Things have picked up a little today (but not much). Seems odd really - you would have thought that 24hrs of torrential rain yesterday would have encouraged the purchase of books, whereas today...

message 39: by Philip (sarah) (last edited Jun 04, 2012 12:49PM) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Terry wrote: "Philip (sarah) wrote: "I tend to read less in the Summer months as I spend more time on other hobbies.I bought three books this weekend,1 Indie and 2 Trads."

Philip (sarah) - what makes you buy an..."

Sorry for the late reply Terry.
Prior to having my Kindle I had never even heard of Indie authors.I joined this group and a whole new reading experience was revealed to me.80% of the books I read are now written by Indies and I just can't get enough of them.The originality and diversity not to mention the quality of the writing has left me in total awe of the talent that is out there and so many people are still unaware of it.This past year I have read some of the most memorable books of my life thanks to Indie authors and recommendations from people in this group.

message 40: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments Philip (sarah) wrote: "Terry wrote: "Philip (sarah) wrote: "I tend to read less in the Summer months as I spend more time on other hobbies.I bought three books this weekend,1 Indie and 2 Trads."

Philip (sarah) - what ma..."

Sarah, you have just completely summed up my experience too xx

message 41: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments A well written Indie book is the delight of my life. Fortunately there have been many delights recently!

GL that's why it's good to be married to a geologist. The older you get the more interested he is!

message 42: by Gingerlily - The Full Wild (last edited Jun 05, 2012 03:51AM) (new)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments I suppose a wine or cheese expert would be similar.

message 43: by Andrew (new)

Andrew Lawston (andrewlawston) | 1791 comments I think I've sold a stonking four copies so far this month. Obviously I'd rather it was more, but that's actually not a bad start for me...

message 44: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Ignite wrote: "A well written Indie book is the delight of my life. Fortunately there have been many delights recently!

GL that's why it's good to be married to a geologist. The older you get the more interest..."

Very good! And he rocks too, I guess?

message 45: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments He does indeed. Do you know him? ;)

message 46: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments I can't sell anything in the US at all. I think it's down to that uniquely British sense of humour not travelling.

My sales were never anything very much until I somehow ended up on some of those filtered lists (you know kindle>fiction>lifestyle>recovery guides>remote control down sofa sort of thing)and they have been relatively steady since then.

I'm not going to be giving up the day job any time soon, but getting on those lists really made a difference.

message 47: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Ignite wrote: "He does indeed. Do you know him? ;)"

Only by reputation ;-)

message 48: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Darren wrote: "I can't sell anything in the US at all. I think it's down to that uniquely British sense of humour not travelling.

My sales were never anything very much until I somehow ended up on some of those..."

Interesting. I have no idea at all what (if anything) drives my sales. They were in the gutter for the two months leading up to Christmas and then bounced right back from Jan. to March. Since then, a bit of a mixed bag. Perhaps I should take up casting runes ;-)

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Apparently if you throw asparagus stalks in the air the pattern they land in reflects your sales. For poorer authors celery stalks might be an acceptable alternative. As far as interpreting them goes, I can't help.

message 50: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3146 comments Gingerlily (or Cyberlily..) wrote: "Apparently if you throw asparagus stalks in the air the pattern they land in reflects your sales. For poorer authors celery stalks might be an acceptable alternative. As far as interpreting them go..."

Celery it is then

« previous 1