Nothing But Reading Challenges discussion

Shatter Me (Shatter Me, #1)
This topic is about Shatter Me
Previous BRs - Authors; M - P > Mafi, Tahereh - Shatter Me - July Start Date July 2nd 2012

Comments Showing 1-50 of 60 (60 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (last edited Sep 13, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
description
This topic will be open for discussion of Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi at a yet to be determined date in July.

Goodreads synopsis:
Juliette hasn't touched anyone in exactly 264 days.

The last time she did, it was an accident, but The Reestablishment locked her up for murder. No one knows why Juliette's touch is fatal. As long as she doesn't hurt anyone else, no one really cares. The world is too busy crumbling to pieces to pay attention to a 17-year-old girl. Diseases are destroying the population, food is hard to find, birds don't fly anymore, and the clouds are the wrong color.

The Reestablishment said their way was the only way to fix things, so they threw Juliette in a cell. Now so many people are dead that the survivors are whispering war-- and The Reestablishment has changed its mind. Maybe Juliette is more than a tortured soul stuffed into a poisonous body. Maybe she's exactly what they need right now.

Juliette has to make a choice: Be a weapon. Or be a warrior.

In this electrifying debut, Tahereh Mafi presents a world as riveting as The Hunger Games and a superhero story as thrilling as The X-Men. Full of pulse-pounding romance, intoxicating villainy, and high-stakes choices, Shatter Me is a fresh and original dystopian novel—with a paranormal twist—that will leave readers anxiously awaiting its sequel.

message 2: by Moderators of NBRC, Challenger-in-Chief (new)

Moderators of NBRC | 30934 comments Mod
Reading schedule:
TBD

message 3: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 01, 2012 05:19PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll be posting the schedule for this one shortly. Is anyone reading this one with me?

message 4: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 03, 2012 09:45AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Reading Schedule

Date Chapters Pages PPQCs

July 2 1 - 9 1 - 55 Rachel
July 3 10 - 17 56 - 107 Laura
July 4 18 - 25 108 - 171 Lisarenee
July 5 26 - 32 172 - 224 Stefani
July 6 33 - 40 225 - 278
July 7 41 - Epilogue 279 - 338

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am going to be reading it Lisarenee!

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments It looks all good to me.

message 7: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments I'm in on this one! I might be a tad behind at first, as I'm trying to get caught up on other things, but I'm definitely in.

message 8: by Mary (new) - added it

Mary (merinwe) | 1043 comments Ack, I don't think I should join this one after all. I'm too behind on my other buddy-reads and I have a lot of unpacking to do in the meantime. Sorry!

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments I'll be reading. Picking the book up today from the 'brary.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I'll be reading it, I picked it up from the bookstore the other day.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments If anyone would like to make questions for any of the days, let us know. We would love to hear and answer them!

I am almost done with today's reading and will do questions if no one else wants to.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments I am just now beginning the reading and probably won't be able to get questions done before late tonight but I will take tomorrow's questions if that would help.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I haven't started today's reading yet, but I could take the 5th for sure.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments That sounds awesome. I'll take today and y'all can do them for those days. I love to see others questions. Mine always feel like the same questions over and over.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Questions for Chapters 1-9

1.) What do you think of the strikeouts in the text? Unique!

2.) Can you imagine being locked up for 264 days? WOW.

3.) Why are all the numbers not spelled out? You think the story would read differently if they were spelled out instead of numerically written (Example: Would you be as astonished at being prisoned for 264 days if it was simply written out?)

4.) I wasn't expecting Juliette to be set up so quickly. Were you?

5.) I found it weird that Juliette finally got a cellmate after all this time and now we know why. Do you think Adam cares for her or is he just doing his job?

6.) What do you think Juliette's actual "power" is. Apparently she can't touch anyone without a barrier between. Does she kill them like the clues lead us to believe or do you think something else happens?

7.) The world has been used up. Temperatures are wacky and what we know today as birds doesn't exist. I couldn't help but think that we might be in this predicament one day.

8.) I don't like Warner already. One more greedy, power hungry person only looking out for himself. What do you think he is going to use Juliette to do if her power really is death by touch?

9.) First predictions of the book? Do you like the writing style? The descriptions?

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments 1.) What do you think of the strikeouts in the text? Unique!

I really like them. It is a nice change up from the way thoughts are usually presented. It gives me more of a feeling that she is thinking that while saying what she needs the person, or herself, to hear and believe.

I know I would go officially crazy. Good thing I would already be in the asylum or they would definitely have to call for transport.

3.) Why are all the numbers not spelled out? You think the story would read differently if they were spelled out instead of numerically written (Example: Would you be as astonished at being prisoned for 264 days if it was simply written out?)

I don't know about yall, but I tend to pay attention to numbers more when they are written numerically. If you write one million vs 1,000,000 I think "wow, that's a lot" quicker for 1,000,000 than if you had written one million. I hope that makes sense. Lol.

5.) I found it weird that Juliette finally got a cellmate after all this time and now we know why. Do you think Adam cares for her or is he just doing his job?

I really want to think that he cares or even remembers her like Juliette supposedly remembers him. Wishful thinking...

6.) What do you think Juliette's actual "power" is. Apparently she can't touch anyone without a barrier between. Does she kill them like the clues lead us to believe or do you think something else happens?

I want to say it is death by touch, but perhaps triggered by emotion. I can't imagine even being able to live if EVERYTHING you touched no matter what state you were in died.

7.) The world has been used up. Temperatures are wacky and what we know today as birds doesn't exist. I couldn't help but think that we might be in this predicament one day.

8.) I don't like Warner already. One more greedy, power hungry person only looking out for himself. What do you think he is going to use Juliette to do if her power really is death by touch?

I would assume kill those that are in opposition to him, but he already has enough soldiers to do that. Why enlist a poor girl to be his fetch toy?

9.) First predictions of the book? Do you like the writing style? The descriptions?

I love the writting style and the descriptions. I enjoy an author that can take something generic and essential, like thoughts, and present them diferently such as in the strikeouts. Clever.

message 17: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll do tomorrow's Rachel. I started reading and accidentally got so enthralled I didn't notice I'd read through to tomorrow's or I'd have had questions up earlier. Loving this one so far.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments No problem, Lisarenee! I am enjoying it to, but trying to stay on track because if I read too far ahead it is hard for me to remember what happened between the pages that we were supposed to read, not to mention I already know what happens next so I find it hard to make questions and pretend I didn't know! :)

Laura offered to make questions for 7/3. If she can't do it than feel free. Always good to have a back-up or two for those unexpected things!

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 1-9

It took a bit of getting used to at first, but I think because it is so different, I like it a lot. I agree with Rachel, it does give us a better feeling of what she is really thinking and what she is saying.

I could survive it, but I would probably have some serious emotional scars like Juliette.

I think all of the numbers may have a different meaning in the future of the book. It also gives us an idea of how she has coped being by herself for so long. I think that it has also does have a shock factor.

It was a shock. I thought that the story between her and Adam was more going to be about the past. I was surprised when he ended up betraying her, but I think he is going to be an ally in the end.

I think he cares for her but he doesn't want Warner to know it. It could also be one of those things where he starts to care for her as he spends more time with her.

I am not sure yet about this, it could go either way. I think that she is going to learn to control her power as the book goes along.

It does sound like it could be possible. It makes you wonder why we don't worry more about taking care of our environment.

I think he is going to have her do all of his dirty deeds. I think he must be working for the reestablishment. If anything Adam said at all is to be believed then they are evil incarnate.

I like the writing style. Her way with words is amazing. She has such a different way of describing feelings, thoughts, and events. I can't wait to read more.

message 20: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 03, 2012 06:42AM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Answers Questions for Chapters 1-9

I liked it. I have to wonder if what we're reading is what she's writing in her notebook or just her muddled thoughts.

No. That sounds brutal.

Um, I didn't even notice. I think usually they say you should stick with which ever way you write numbers either spelled out or numerically written. That's what I was taught at least. I honestly didn't even notice.

I thought it strange they locked her up with a guy. Wasn't sure what was going on. The betrayal did come as a shock though.

I have to say I'm unsure of anything at this point and if I was Juliette, I'd question everything and be leery of everyone.

Maybe a touch of death. She touches you and you die?

7.) The world has been used up. Temperatures are wacky and what we know today as birds doesn't exist. I couldn't help but think that we might be in this predicament one

He'll use it to threaten people and kill them.

I like it so far. No predictions yet.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Will be posting questions shortly. I am having a difficult time thinking of some good ones for some reason.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 10-17

10. We now know that Juliette remembers Adam, but we don't know their past together. Do you think they were friends at one time and do you think Adam remembers her?

11. What do you think is the secret with Warner's mother? Do you think something happened to her or do you think something else is going on?

12. We finally know a little more about Juliette's power. Were you surprised by her thoughts as it was happening? She seemed to like/hate her power at the same time. What affect do you thin this will have as the story plays out? Do you think she will learn to control it?

13.Other than to make people fear he do you think Warner had another purpose for making Jenkins touch her? Do you think he was being truthful about his intentions? What other games do you think he has up his sleeve?

14. I loved the fact that Adam saved her journal for her. Do you think they will keep up communication this way? Or can Juliette not trust Adam at this point?

15. The military scene makes me think of the Hitler Regime. As a matter of fact the description of the posters, buildings, etc. give me a fee of that entire era. Do you feel the same way? Do you think the author did this on purpose?

message 23: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 10-17

10. We now know that Juliette remembers Adam, but we don't know their past together. Do you think they were friends at one time and do you think Adam remembers her?
I think if they'd been friends she would have acknowledged him as one. I have no idea what made her remember him or what exactly their connection was back then. Maybe she had a crush on him?

11. What do you think is the secret with Warner's mother? Do you think something happened to her or do you think something else is going on?

Since he is so fascinated with Juliette I wonder if somehow he involuntarily killed his mother. His reaction to her "Your poor mother." statement was just plain weird.

12. We finally know a little more about Juliette's power. Were you surprised by her thoughts as it was happening? She seemed to like/hate her power at the same time. What affect do you thin this will have as the story plays out? Do you think she will learn to control it?

This one seems like it would be uncontrollable to me. Since the gloves seem to work I wonder if she covers as much of herself as possible if she could use it only when deemed necessary by removing gloves? Does cloth work to contain her touch or would something a little heavier be needed?

13. Other than to make people fear he do you think Warner had another purpose for making Jenkins touch her? Do you think he was being truthful about his intentions? What other games do you think he has up his sleeve?

I thought the guy got off on pain inflicted in others. Maybe he singled the guy out for a special type of punishment? I also wonder if he did it to insure people feared her so to keep anyone from wanting to help her. You would think by her reaction, however, that everyone would know she didn't like doing it.

14. I loved the fact that Adam saved her journal for her. Do you think they will keep up communication this way? Or can Juliette not trust Adam at this point?

I kept wondering if he read it and what in the heck she actually writes in it?

15. The military scene makes me think of the Hitler Regime. As a matter of fact the description of the posters, buildings, etc. give me a fee of that entire era. Do you feel the same way? Do you think the author did this on purpose?
I thought the same thing and I tend to see that regime as the poster child for all flawed dystopian governments. This one, however, did the whole fist to the chest thing and that really got the Hitler vibe going.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Questions for Chapters 1-9

It is incredibly unique. I wasn't sure what to think about it at first. But I think it's what she's thinking and writing in her notebook, then changes her mind and writes back something that's more "acceptable"

Honestly, I would probably love it lol. I am kind of a loner anyway, I prefer my own company over being forced to be around people I may not feel like being social with. I also get really drained being around people for too long, I find it exhausting. So while I like being around people for short periods of time, I really wouldn't mind being alone all the time either.

I think the author is trying to make it feel like a journal, and in one's journal I think it would be more normal to write out numbers numerically.

I wasn't! I knew we wouldn't spend too long with her alone, or with a friend, in her cell...that would be a wickedly boring story. But I wasn't expecting that at all, it caught me off guard totally.

I think it started out as his job. But he got to see her as a human being rather than a tool, so I think that changed his view a bit.

For some reason I keep thinking of Touch of Power, only the opposite. What if rather than giving energy and power to someone, she takes it away? That would make sense to me and be a really interesting angle I think.

That might happen at some point but it'll be hundreds of years from now. But it is an interesting portrayal of the world, I like it.

Probably as an enforcer of sorts. Don't answer my questions and I'll turn you over to her type of thing. Or perhaps her power isn't as lethal as she believes, it doesn't sound like she's tested it much.

I find the writing style to be a bit abrupt and its taking some getting used to. But so far I am really hooked by this book.

message 25: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Stefani said, "For some reason I keep thinking of Touch of Power, only the opposite. What if rather than giving energy and power to someone, she takes it away? That would make sense to me and be a really interesting angle I think."

You may be right. I like that thought.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Questions for Chapters 10-17

I was thinking along the same lines as Lisarenee, that she had a crush on him at one point and just kind of watched him from afar. It would explain why he doesn't seem to remember her.

I think something definitely happened between the two. Maybe his reaction was because her comment reminded him of something his mother said to him once.

I wasn't surprised by her reaction to it. It sounds like the power itself makes her like it, but when she's not under the power's influence she hates it. I wonder if she would be able to control it apart from controlling who touches her. Nobody who touched her clothing has been affected, so it seems that skin to skin contact is required, that could be a way of controlling it.

13.Other than to make people fear he do you think Warner had another purpose for making Jenkins touch her? Do you think he was being truthful about his intentions? What other games do you think he has up his sleeve?

I can't help but wonder if he was making an example of Jenkins. Maybe he was a troublemaker and he wanted to put him in his place and have everyone know it. Warner did say that he has a reason for everything.

I still wouldn't trust him, we can't be 100% certain that he's the one who put the journal there or left the message. Warner may be playing her because he realizes that she trusts Adam more than the others.

It does feel that way, it feels very Hitler/Stalin to me. I think it was done intentionally since this Reestablishment is meant to evoke that same kind of feeling

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Laura wrote: "Questions for Chapters 10-17

1..."

Great questions! I'll answer as soon as I finish reading. Thanks for doing them, Laura.

message 28: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll have today's questions up shortly.

message 29: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 04, 2012 01:34PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 19 - 25

16) Adam can touch Juliette without getting zapped. Plus, he has the bird she kept thinking of tattooed on his chest. Any thoughts? Is he the only one who can touch her?

17) I kind of like Juliette's description of killing time. Do you think she's transferring her aggression to the time that she would normally have had for Warner?

18) I like how Juliette attempted to barter with Warner to get the cameras out of her room. Before the last couple of chapters of today's reading why did you think he gave in to her request?

19) Do you think Warner's obsession is only because of the power he can wield if he can control her or do you thing there's more to it?

20) We now know what happened to get her confined to the mental ward. Why do you think no one told her about her ability to kill others? Did they not know?

21) So we now know Adam volunteered to be Juliette's roommate. Does this change your opinion about him? Do you think she can ever trust him? Did you believe what he said to explain?

22) Warner is the lowest of the low. Gah! How could he put her through such a test?

23) The scene with Juliette breaking the wall reminds me of the Hulk, but she also reminds me a little of Katsa from Graceling. Did it remind you of anything or any characters?

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Questions for Chapters 19 - 25

16) Adam can touch Juliette without getting zapped. Plus, he has the bird she kept thinking of tattooed on his chest. Any thoughts? Is he the only one who can touch her?

That threw me off totally. I wonder if maybe her emotions are the trigger. Anger and fear and people can't touch her, but if its someone she is calm and comfortable with then there is no danger. Maybe this is a defense mechanism?

17) I kind of like Juliette's description of killing time. Do you think she's transferring her aggression to the time that she would normally have had for Warner?

Definitely. She doesn't want to show too much anger to Warner if it might mean Adam being hurt, so she's taking it out other ways.

18) I like how Juliette attempted to barter with Warner to get the cameras out of her room. Before the last couple of chapters of today's reading why did you think he gave in to her request?

I think he believes there is no danger of her escaping, so there was no reason to not give in to her request. And it might garner him some good will from her, which he obviously wants.

19) Do you think Warner's obsession is only because of the power he can wield if he can control her or do you thing there's more to it?

I think it's all about the power. I also keep getting the idea he's trying to impress his dad and Juliette is his way of doing that.

20) We now know what happened to get her confined to the mental ward. Why do you think no one told her about her ability to kill others? Did they not know?

I think they knew, because they kept telling her not to touch anyone and told everyone else not to touch her either. So they knew, but I don't think they understood it enough to go beyond just being afraid of it.

21) So we now know Adam volunteered to be Juliette's roommate. Does this change your opinion about him? Do you think she can ever trust him? Did you believe what he said to explain?

I believe him. I could be completely wrong and he's a deceitful little rat, but I want to believe he's being sincere.

22) Warner is the lowest of the low. Gah! How could he put her through such a test?

That made my skin crawl. He really has no conscience whatsoever. Disgusting example of a human being.

23) The scene with Juliette breaking the wall reminds me of the Hulk, but she also reminds me a little of Katsa from Graceling. Did it remind you of anything or any characters?

I got a Hulk vibe from it too. It also makes me wonder just what else she's capable of that she doesn't know. Clearly Warner didn't see that one coming either, so he doesn't know everything about her any more than she does.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Rachel wrote: "Laura wrote: "Questions for Chapters 10-17

10. We now know that Juliette remembers Adam, but we don't know their past together. Do you think they were friends at one time and do you think Adam rem..."

No problem, just got home and I am going to catch up on today's reading.

Rachel (treychel) | 1484 comments Warner wants Juliette to eat alllll the freaking time. It makes me wonder if he has drugged her food with some chill pillls or something of the sort. I understand that she needs to keep her health up and all, but after eating that slop in prison and sometimes only having one meal a day, I don't think she is going to shrivel up anytime soon. Just a thought...

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 19 - 25

I wondered about that bird too. I wonder what significance it has. I wonder too if the reason Adam can touch her is because he has some kind of power too. Other than that I have no clue.

I liked that also. I thought it was a reference to how she had gotten used to dwindling the time away in her cell, although it sounds like a good way to let out aggression towards Warner also.

I thought it had something to do with his feeling like they were similar. Maybe he thought that allowing her that freedom would make her want to join him even more.

He is obviously a nut job. I think it is all about power, but there is no telling with his crazy self.

It sounds like they didn't know. If she hadn't touched anyone in years, maybe as a child her power wasn't as strong as it was when she was 14.

I like him and he obviously cares for her a great deal. I think she can trust him and I believed his story. It makes sense and it seemed heartfelt.

I was so angry when reading this scene. I couldn't believe that he would do something so cruel.

Hmm, I didn't think about any characters or other books for some reason. I think it might be because I thought she was doing it with her mind, not her strength. I would think she was more like Katsa than the hulk.

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments I read this a while ago so I'll answer the questions I think I remember enough to answer. :)

I listened to the audiobook. The strikeouts were indicated by a swiping sound. It took me a while to realize what it was (after reading a couple of reviews). I thought it was interesting and the swiping sounds didn't really bother me that much.

I'd go crazy with nothing to do. I would need at least pen and paper.

err. I didn't realize this. This wasn't obvious in the audiobook. ^_^

I wasn't expecting a set up at all!

I wasn't really paying attention too much but I suppose it was a bit weird. I guess that I just thought, "Oh, they finally get a new prisoner."

I couldn't really visualize the world that the author was trying to convey. I really couldn't see the dystopian side of it all.

I found Warner just a bit fascinating, but it could partially be the way the narrator read him. :)

The writing style and descriptions were interesting but weird. I didn't understand half of what all those metaphors and personifications were supposed to mean.

huh? I...don't remember this.

I don't remember her thoughts much. She seemed to like/hate her power at the same time? Hmm. I just got the impression that she hated her power.

Not sure.

I liked the fact that Adam saved her journal, too. It was really sweet of him.

In a way, I guess it does.

hmm, another thing I don't remember.

Good question. I was a bit confused because it seemed more like the former, but there was a slight...sexual? feeling to Warner's obsession with Juliette.

If they had, that meant that she would have killed before, no? Or that there were others like her. I remember wondering how the parents managed to raise her if she had that ability crippling touch.

I had slightly ambivalent feelings over him. I didn't like his deception; I didn't understand it. But he won me over.

Psychopathic...

Not really. I was just going, "Where did this come from?" Haven't read Graceling.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Rachel wrote: "Warner wants Juliette to eat alllll the freaking time. It makes me wonder if he has drugged her food with some chill pillls or something of the sort. I understand that she needs to keep her health ..."

That's interesting. That thought hadn't crossed my mind, but now that you mention it there had to be a reason...even if he's not drugging her there has to be some ulterior motive.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments I am writing questions and thinking now, I should have them posted shortly.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Questions for Chapters 26-32

24. Adam says Warner wants her to believe a normal life is impossible. For 17 years it has been. Could Warner be right?

25. So, Warner can touch Juliette too?! Do you believe that she was mistaken? Is he immune like Adam? How many others might be and why?

26. On the same note if there is more than one person immune to Juliette's power, could there be more with powers like hers? Could immunity be a sign of your own unique power?

27. Subduing Warner and escaping seemed way too conveniently easy. Could this be a set up? More going on to this scenario?

28. A tracker toxin in the soldier's blood. It makes logical sense, and so did Adam's explanation of how to disable it. Is it possible that Warner allowed their easy escape because he changed the formula for the toxin after the last time Adam came back? Could Warner be tracking them right now?

29. Does it seem to anyone else that James knows much more than he should if they haven't seen each other in 6 months and only spoken on questionably secure phone lines? According to Adam he didn't know the details of Juliette's power until he saw it, so how did James know if they can't talk that openly?

30. Juliette thinks Adam joined the army for his brother. Do you agree? What would the advantage of army life be for James' wellbeing? I suspect Warner may come into play here, guaranteeing James' safety for Adam's loyalty. Am I being too suspicious?

31. James promised not to tell anyone they're there but he is just a kid. Think he'll slip up?

The UHQ Nasanta (uhqs) | 829 comments Questions for Chapters 26-32

26. On the same note if there is more than one person immune to Juliette's power, could there be more with powers like hers? Could immunity be a sign of your own unique power?

That's a good question. I wondered whether Warner too might have some kind of unique power - or Adam.

28. A tracker toxin in the soldier's blood. It makes logical sense, and so did Adam's explanation of how to disable it. Is it possible that Warner allowed their easy escape because he changed the formula for the toxin after the last time Adam came back? Could Warner be tracking them right now?

Interesting questions.

29. Does it seem to anyone else that James knows much more than he should if they haven't seen each other in 6 months and only spoken on questionably secure phone lines? According to Adam he didn't know the details of Juliette's power until he saw it, so how did James know if they can't talk that openly?

Don't know. I didn't quite catch that when I listened to the book.

30. Juliette thinks Adam joined the army for his brother. Do you agree? What would the advantage of army life be for James' wellbeing? I suspect Warner may come into play here, guaranteeing James' safety for Adam's loyalty. Am I being too suspicious?

I'm thinking that the advantage of army life would be earning some money to help support James. I want to say also maybe guaranteeing James' safety for Adam's loyalty but...I don't remember. Did Adam say that no one knew about James or that no one knew about the home Adam had found for James? Or...is this a spoilerish question? If no one knew about James, point is moot regarding the guarantee for his safety. If no one knew about the home Adam had found for James, same thing, sort of - at least in Adam's POV.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 26-32

24. Adam says Warner wants her to believe a normal life is impossible. For 17 years it has been. Could Warner be right?
I don't think a completely normal life will be possible for her, but I think it could be close to one. It could definitely be more normal than becoming a killing machine.

25. So, Warner can touch Juliette too?! Do you believe that she was mistaken? Is he immune like Adam? How many others might be and why?
I think she just wanted to believe that it was a mistake. I think he is immune like Adam. My first thought was that he was immune because of the radiation zone. I think Warner went their too but I can't remember. It could be so many other things though.

I have wondered that myself. I am not sure though.

27. Subduing Warner and escaping seemed way too conveniently easy. Could this be a set up? More going on to this scenario?
It did seem very convenient, but at the same time I think Warner is the type to be overly cocky. I could see where it would be easier than you would think. I guess I don't want to believe that it would be a set up.

I guess it could be possible. Warner is definitely devious enough for something like that. I would think though if he was that he would immediately come to get them. I don't think he would want to take the risk of them getting away permanently.

I was a little surprised by this myself. It made me wonder if he had gotten information from someone else and was paid to be quite about it or to notify them if Adam showed up. The whole thing just seems a bit fishy.

I think it is easier to speculate in this book because it still feels like we don't know that much about the world or how it runs. While I feel a connection to Juliette and a small one to Adam and his brother, we don't feel connected to a large group of characters, so maybe we feel more like anything can happen. I think it is very possible that Warner bribed Adam into joining the military by bribing him. I don't know that Adam would do it though if it wasn't something good for James. He seems very protective of him.

31. James promised not to tell anyone they're there but he is just a kid. Think he'll slip up?
He seems pretty smart and I think he realizes how much danger his brother is in.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Laura wrote: "I think it is easier to speculate in this book because it still feels like we don't know that much about the world or how it runs. "

I thought that too. I mean we are coming up within 100 pages of the end and I feel like I have no idea what the plot was or the world is like. The bits we have are intriguing but it needs to start coming together.

message 41: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Answers to Questions for Chapters 26-32

I don't know. From what we've learned of the world would anyone be able to have a normal life? I think it would be possible especially now we know there are people who can actually touch her.

This is very curious.

Ahhh, are you thinking like in the Poison Study?

I thought the same thing. It made me not trust Adam again.

After Rachel's comment I wondered if perhaps that could be why Warner wanted Juliette to eat. Could he have put the toxin in her food?

I didn't at the time, but now you mention it....

I don't think there are many if any jobs besides military, but we really don't know enough about the world outside of what we've seen so far.

I think that's a goo possibility. He'd be so excited he couldn't help himself.

message 42: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments I'll write today's questions. Sorry these are so late. I've been doing stuff with my kids all day.

message 43: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 06, 2012 06:14PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Questions for Chapters 33 - 40

32) What does it mean that both Adam and Juliette dreamed of the bird and once they were together the dreams stopped?

33) I laughed at James, "You're touching a girl!" So is Adam getting a little ahead of himself in declaring her his girlfriend or do you think he's just stating the obvious?

34) "But being around so much love has managed to thaw my frozen parts into something human. Like maybe I could be a part of this world. Like maybe I don't have to be a monster. Maybe I'm not a monster." I loved that!

35) We've like had one mention in the book of Kenji when he wanted to get a look at Juliette. What is going on? Why is he at Adam's house? Would you trust him? Would you trust him with James?

36) She shot Warner! Is it okay if I do a little happy dance? Do you think he's dead?

37) Do you think they'll get to where they want to go? Do you think it will be a safe place for them?

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Questions for Chapters 33 - 40

32) What does it mean that both Adam and Juliette dreamed of the bird and once they were together the dreams stopped?

I have been wondering that myself. It made me think that perhaps they have some kind of psychic connection, but that hasn't even been hinted at so I dunno.

33) I laughed at James, "You're touching a girl!" So is Adam getting a little ahead of himself in declaring her his girlfriend or do you think he's just stating the obvious?

Just stating the obvious in my opinion, and also staking his claim on her. Very alpha male of him, but cute.

34) "But being around so much love has managed to thaw my frozen parts into something human. Like maybe I could be a part of this world. Like maybe I don't have to be a monster. Maybe I'm not a monster." I loved that!

That was sweet. And thank god its not the insta-love we usually see in YA novels, that has been really refreshing.

35) We've like had one mention in the book of Kenji when he wanted to get a look at Juliette. What is going on? Why is he at Adam's house? Would you trust him? Would you trust him with James?

I don't trust him. It was odd that he would just appear out of nowhere, when he didn't know where Adam was or lives. Who brought him to Adam's house?

36) She shot Warner! Is it okay if I do a little happy dance? Do you think he's dead?

He is definitely not dead in my opinion, but I had a little yay moment myself. He is such a creepy perv.

37) Do you think they'll get to where they want to go? Do you think it will be a safe place for them?

Since it's nearly the end its possible they'll get there, but that would be a terrible ending. So for the sake of a good ending I am going to say no, something will go badly wrong and keep them from their safe place.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Questions for Chapters 33 - 40

32) What does it mean that both Adam and Juliette dreamed of the bird and once they were together the dreams stopped? I have wondered about this. I thought the same thing that Stefani thought, maybe they have a psychic like connection with each other. It also made me wonder if they were made for each other and that maybe Warner has a match like this somewhere else.

I think he is just stating the obvious. Although he didn't seem to ready to call her that later on in the reading. There is no doubt that Juliette wants them to be an item.

This author has a way with words for sure. There are many things that she has written that have made me smile or go back and read it again just because I loved it.

I wouldn't trust Kenji at all no matter what he said. He seems very self-centered and cocky. I am wondering what his role is going to be later in the book.

I wanted to do a little happy dance too, but I know he is not dead. We have too much book left and there has to be something for the ending.

I think they will make it there but that it may not be what they thought it was. There is a sequel so you know that they will have another task or something else is going to happen.

Laura (lglovett) | 1437 comments Stefani wrote: "Laura wrote: "I think it is easier to speculate in this book because it still feels like we don't know that much about the world or how it runs. "

I thought that too. I mean we are coming up with..."

I read some things about this book online and a lot of people said the entire book didn't really have a plot. It is going to aggravate me if we finish it all seems just as confusing as it did at the beginning.

message 47: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Laura said, "I read some things about this book online and a lot of people said the entire book didn't really have a plot. It is going to aggravate me if we finish it all seems just as confusing as it did at the beginning."

That would be bad. Will post questions after I'm finished. I hope this doesn't fall apart at the end.

message 48: by Lisarenee (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments There is a novella coming out in October called Destroy Me:

Perfect for the fans of Shatter Me who are desperately awaiting the release of Unravel Me, this novella-length digital original will bridge the gap between these two novels from the perspective of the villain we all love to hate, Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

In Tahereh Mafi’s Shatter Me, Juliette escaped from The Reestablishment by seducing Warner—and then putting a bullet in his shoulder. But as she’ll learn in Destroy Me, Warner is not that easy to get rid of. . .

Back at the base and recovering from his near-fatal wound, Warner must do everything in his power to keep his soldiers in check and suppress any mention of a rebellion in the sector. Still as obsessed with Juliette as ever, his first priority is to find her, bring her back, and dispose of Adam and Kenji, the two traitors who helped her escape. But when Warner’s father, The Supreme Commander of The Reestablishment, arrives to correct his son’s mistakes, it’s clear that he has much different plans for Juliette. Plans Warner simply cannot allow.

Set after Shatter Me and before its forthcoming sequel, Unravel Me, Destroy Me is a novella told from the perspective of Warner, the ruthless leader of Sector 45.

Stefani (steffiebaby140) | 807 comments Interesting. I would be interested in reading something from his point of view, though it isn't too difficult to identify what his plans would be. Find Juliette, make an example of the traitors, typical evil overlord type stuff.

message 50: by Lisarenee (last edited Jul 07, 2012 01:31PM) (new) - added it

Lisarenee | 7659 comments Well I think we managed to loose Rachel to her work.

Questions for Chapters 41 - Epilogue

38) So what did you think of the ending? Seems a little like the x-men which ironically is what my son is watching on TV. Do you like the super hero angle or did you like it more when she was unique?

39) Do you think Adam and Warner have super powers and, if so, what could they possibly be?

40) We still don't know a lot about the state of the world. We've been given a tunnel vision type glance at it. Were you disappointed this wasn't expanded upon or do you figure it's something to look forward to in the next book?

41) Thoughts on the title Shatter Me? Appropriate? Toward the beginning of the books she talked about shattering.

42) What did you think of the romance interrupted and the love triangle?

43) Do you feel the plot was left off or just building up to something in a later book? It seemed this book was an introduction to the world (what little we see of it) and Juliette.

44) Did the ending make you want to read the next book? What about the novella from Warner's point of view? Would you like it if we get a totally different picture of Warner and the reason he is the way he is? It looks like we get to meet his dad in that one.

45) Were you left with more questions than answers?

46) What will you rate this one. I kind of liked this one and will probably give it a 4. It kept me interested and distracted me enough to accidentally read 2 days worth of reading instead of one. I do kind of wish there hadn't been a superhero aspect to it.

« previous 1

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

Shatter Me (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

Tahereh Mafi (other topics)