The Seasonal Reading Challenge discussion

SUMMER CHALLENGE 2012: WIND/AIR > 20.7 - Shorter is Sweeter- Isabell's task: In Homage to MZB

Comments Showing 1-20 of 20 (20 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Dlmrose (last edited Jun 02, 2012 04:31PM) (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
20.7 Shorter is Sweeter- Isabell's task: In homage to MZB

My last task was centered around my favorite author Tamora Pierce. Another author whose work I enjoy is Marion Zimmer Bradley (MZB). For this task you will read a book in homage to MZB by choosing one of the following options:

1. Death. MZB died in 1999. Read a book written by an author who died since January 1, 1990.

Required: Please provide verifiable information about the author's date of death if the date is not listed on the author's entry on GR.

2. Award. In 2000 MZB was posthumously awarded the World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. Read a book by a winner of this award. A list of the award winners can be found here: World Fantasy Award for Life Achievement. (Please note that only the category of Life Achievement counts for this task, not any of the other categories of the World Fantasy Award.)

3. Series. Both her Darkover and Avalon series were continued after her death. Diana L. Paxson continued the Avalon series. Deborah J. Ross wrote further books in the Darkover series. Read a book by Marion Zimmer Bradley herself OR by Diana L. Paxson OR by Deborah J. Ross. Pen names of those authors count for this task, so books by Deborah Wheeler work as well.

Required: Please identify the option when you post

message 2: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Reserved

message 3: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Reserved

message 4: by Dlmrose (new)

Dlmrose | 17398 comments Mod
This thread is open1

message 5: by Deedee (new)

Deedee | 2052 comments For Option 1, do you mean 1990 or 1999?

message 6: by Dee (new)

Dee (austhokie) | 7512 comments i was wondering the same thing...lol!

message 7: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments I hope it stays 1990. I already chose my book for the task based on this date.

message 8: by Riya (new)

Riya (riyaishere) | 191 comments Any book by Kurt Vonnegut would work for this task, right? He died recently I belidve . . .

message 9: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Deedee wrote: "For Option 1, do you mean 1990 or 1999?"

1990 is correct. I include the whole decade of the 1990s.

message 10: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Mariya wrote: "Any book by Kurt Vonnegut would work for this task, right? He died recently I belidve . . ."

Yes, Kurt Vonnegut died in 2007, so any book from him works for option 1.

message 12: by mstan (new)

message 13: by Skandia (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:54AM) (new)

message 14: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Thanks for the suggestions, Katrina, mstan and Skandia. There are some great authors among those.

I noticed that Skandia's link doesn's seem to lead to the correct author page, but this one should be correct: Catherine Cookson

message 15: by Skandia (new)

Skandia (sfgirl) | 372 comments Isabell wrote: "Thanks for the suggestions, Katrina, mstan and Skandia. There are some great authors among those.

I noticed that Skandia's link doesn's seem to lead to the correct author page, but this one should..."

Thanks Isabell, I corrected the link in my post also.

message 16: by Fran (new)

Fran | 736 comments A few Romance authors to add to the list-

Kathleen E. Woodiwiss
Monica Jackson
Beverly Barton
Sandra Hyatt

message 17: by Connie (last edited Jun 03, 2012 09:40AM) (new)

message 19: by Sovotchka (new)

Sovotchka Isabell, will one of MZBs non-fantasy books work as well? Because I love Drums Of Darkness or The Catch Trap.

message 20: by Isabell (new)

Isabell (purzel) | 247 comments Yes, any book by MZB will work, so you are good to go with your choices.