UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Author Zone - Readers Welcome! > Amazon Author Central

Comments Showing 1-34 of 34 (34 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments I've been playing around,updating my author page on Author Central today. I must admit that this is something I have completely neglected. Does anyone else make good use of this facility and, if so, has it worked for you?

message 2: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments It took me months to spot that there was/is a separate .com version, where you can change the blurb and add stuff like italics, which does (eventually) filter through to .co.uk as well.

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments I have put a photo up, short bio and linked my blog to it.

I don't think there is much else to be done really.

Mind you I do wonder why the stats stuff available there isn't also available in the general KDP area. What is the point of having the two separate sections?

message 4: by Philip (last edited Jun 02, 2012 03:12AM) (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Michael wrote: "I have put a photo up, short bio and linked my blog to it.

I don't think there is much else to be done really.

Mind you I do wonder why the stats stuff available there isn't also available in the..."

BTW - how do you link your Blog to it?

Good point! I hadn't even noticed that existed until I had a mooch around today.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Okay...

So what is it? What does it do for punters?

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Okay...

So what is it? What does it do for punters?"

Probably not a great deal. It's like clicking on someone's Goodreads profile.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Oh okay.thanks.

message 8: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments J.S. wrote: "It took me months to spot that there was/is a separate .com version, where you can change the blurb and add stuff like italics, which does (eventually) filter through to .co.uk as well."

You see, I didn't know that either!

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Philip - if you sign into the Author Central bit and then go to the profile tab, it should allow you to link your blog up.

Might only be the .com version though.

message 10: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Okay...

So what is it? What does it do for punters?"

Well, it's clearly designed to be accessed by readers and I suppose it handily groups the author's books together in one place. I suspect that more could be made of this facility, but I'm not sure I know what yet!
;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thanks Phil! Is it the page that shows when I search on an authors name rather than a book title then?

I know sometimes the page that comes up when I do that is more comprehensive than other times, depending on who I search.

I always assumed it was something amazon put together, not the author.

message 12: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "Thanks Phil! Is it the page that shows when I search on an authors name rather than a book title then?

I know sometimes the page that comes up when I do that is more comprehensive than other times..."

Yes, that's the page. I guess 'proper' authors probably have minions who look after such things ;-)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'd love to have minions...

message 14: by Sadie (new)

Sadie Forsythe Michael wrote: "Philip - if you sign into the Author Central bit and then go to the profile tab, it should allow you to link your blog up.

Might only be the .com version though."

I have both a .com and a .co.uk - the blog link is only available for the Amazon.com.

message 15: by Philip (new)

Philip Whiteland | 3130 comments Patti (Stir Crazy) wrote: "I'd love to have minions..."

I'm working on bunions.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I'd be happy with minced onions.

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments Patti, I thought you had a minion. Called Simon.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I think it's the other way round, actually...

message 19: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments I have an author page which has the exact same content as my Goodreads page, which is linked to my blog, twitter and facebook. But I'm far from convinced it does much unless of course you're already selling enough that people are actively looking for you. Then the idea of your books being grouped together is great.

So far this month I've done more promo stuff than in the last two months but I've sold sod, bugger and all. On the plus side, my author pic is me in Central Park and it always makes me smile to see it because I remember that day vividly.

message 20: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments The Author Central facility to edit my paperback's blurb is very useful. Unfortunately that only seems to be on the US version. I still have to email Amazon if I want to change the UK blurb.

message 21: by Michael Cargill (new)

Michael Cargill Cargill (michaelcargill) | 2998 comments Rosen, I am sure that you can change the blurb for a book in the KDP area.

message 22: by J.S. (last edited Jun 12, 2012 05:52AM) (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Rosen - it eventually filters-through to the UK site.

NB the italics here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0...

Michael - she is referring to the ability to add italics etc. which you can't do in the KDP area.

EDIT: Micheal - we were both wrong - she was referring to editing the blurb for the paperback!

message 23: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I may be wrong, but I think the KDP area is just for Kindle books. I meant changing the blurb for my paperback.

I hadn't realised that Author Central (US) allowed the addition of italics - very useful info.

message 24: by J.S. (last edited Jun 12, 2012 05:51AM) (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Ooops - I am wrong - the Kindle blurb edited on AuthorCentral.com filtered through to the Kindle blurb on Amazon.co.uk, but the paperback blurb did not... even though everything else (reviews etc.) is linked.

message 25: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments All very confusing if you ask me.

message 26: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Barnes (rubybarnes) | 40 comments It is confusing. Now I've three books, all in ebook and paperback, it took a bit of work to get them all to appear on my author page on all sites. I had to ask Amazon UK to amend the blurb for one paperback as the format was all over the place.
The dot com central is great for adjusting the blurb as it offers format capabilities (bold, bullets, numbers, italics) and does generally filter across to UK for ebooks at least.
The UK site is handy for 'claiming' books so that they appear on the author page, for contacting Amazon if different editions aren't merged (shared reviews) and stuff like that.

message 27: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Ruby: How did you contact Amazon? Just via the regular customer services email?

message 28: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Barnes (rubybarnes) | 40 comments J.S. I used the 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the logged in Author Central page. Always had very good and quick response that way, because they know you own the books.

message 29: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 33 comments Just updated my Author Central page. Took me a rather long time to get round to it!

message 30: by Ruby (new)

Ruby Barnes (rubybarnes) | 40 comments There are just so many pages and stuff these days, makes my head spin. I bookmark everything but it's neverending.

message 31: by Robert (new)

Robert Clear (robertclear) | 33 comments I know, I lose track. It's a bit strange when you see one of your author profiles that now has you down as the wrong age. You realise it's been gathering dust for too long!

message 32: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Ruby wrote: "J.S. I used the 'Contact Us' at the bottom of the logged in Author Central page. Always had very good and quick response that way, because they know you own the books."
This worked very efficiently, by the way - thanks for the tip :)

message 33: by Jason (new)

Jason Stadtlander (jpstadtlander) Philip wrote: "I've been playing around,updating my author page on Author Central today. I must admit that this is something I have completely neglected. Does anyone else make good use of this facility and, if ..."

I've worked very hard, since before my book was published to get Author Central perfected. The only thing that bugs me... is that I have to update Author central for each country (UK, USA and Germany). I wish they would centrally link them all. Or perhaps I'm missing something?

message 34: by Will (new)

Will Macmillan Jones (willmacmillanjones) | 11721 comments Jason, the DR site seems linked to either the US or UK one in some way, and I didn't have to alter my author page there.