Jodi Picoult Books Reading Group. discussion

Sing You Home
This topic is about Sing You Home
Books Under Discussion > Did you guys like Sing you Home?

Comments Showing 1-15 of 15 (15 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ali (new)

Ali Massey (aliharpermassey) | 3 comments I was looking forward to reading this book. Then I changed my mind. I went on amazon.com and looked at the reviews. I usually don't read them too closely. Why? Because some jerk will write a spoiler in the review. That's exactly what happened with this book! Now I don't want to read it. I don't know everything that happened, but I do know something key that happens at the end.

Don't you hate when that happens? I don't read every review for precisely this reason. I usually just see how many stars the book has and then move on.

I sent the reviewer an angry note and I noticed they had taken off their review. Hopefully they learned their lesson.

Anyway, did you guys like the book? You can post spoilers if you want. I already know what ends up happening for the most part.

Jenni I'm sorry that happend to you Alison. I dont like Amazon reviews at all. The people are so negative and rude. Thats why I come here. :)
I did like this book. I think you should read it anyway. Theres plenty that happens that I'm sure werent in that review.

Bridget | 9 comments I loved Sing You Home. It was actually the first book of hers that I read. I am totally obsessed now.

Alexis | 40 comments I also liked Sing You Home. I learned alot about topics I was only familiar with in passing, namely IVF and the gay lifestyle. Jodi writes with such authority on each topic she tackles that you know she's conducted thorough research.

Betsy (mistymtladi) | 36 comments I liked Sing You Home also.Like the above posts stated it was very informatively and compassionately written.I also feel that there were enough elements involved in this story to make several books from this one novel. And yes, you should read Sing You Home for that reason!

Beth | 2 comments Betsy wrote: "I liked Sing You Home also.Like the above posts stated it was very informatively and compassionately written.I also feel that there were enough elements involved in this story to make several book..."

I am a huge fan of JP, I have read all but 4 of her books and I really loved Sing You Home. I found it to be a bit of a departure from her typical style and I liked it. I've loved everything I've read by her. The only book I had a hard time getting into was Songs of the Humpback Whale. That one just didn't "speak" to me the way her others do. She is always so well thought out and her facts and such are so well-researched. Love her! It makes me mad when people describe her as writing "chick flicks" like something that would be on Lifetime, she is much deeper and far more well-rounded than that!

Alexis | 40 comments Beth, I agree with your comment regarding chic flics. I don't believe her work is anything close to that genre. JP is one of the best authors I've ever read.

Beth | 2 comments Alexis wrote: "Beth, I agree with your comment regarding chic flics. I don't believe her work is anything close to that genre. JP is one of the best authors I've ever read."

Agreed, she is in my top 3 fav authors....possibly even #1!

Kristyn (punkydoodle1) I HATE SPOILERS. Well, mostly I hate the assholes that spoil things for me LOL.

I loved this book! Here's my review:

"I admit that it has been a while since I have read anything by Jodi Picoult, but it was for no other reason than I had overdosed on her books for a while and I found that it was time for something less depressing. But then I needed something with substance and less fluff and I knew that I had to get back into my favorite author with a subject that I have also grown to be passionate about.

What Jodi has always done so seamlessly is let the viewer into the mind of each and every character and this is what has always drawn me toward her novels, but what makes me stay is her beautiful style of storytelling, tackling some of the most obscure and tough subject matters and personalizing it; not for her, but for her audience. You, me, your mom(s) or dad(s). This is definitely true for Sing You Home , a story about overcoming a judgmental society, and even having to try to prove your self-worth to people you never thought would give you the cold shoulder. It is a story of heartbreak, revelations (religious and otherwise), small triumphs and most of all, family."

Angie | 5 comments I loved this book and some of the others I've read of JP. She is in my top 5 favorite authors.

Donna | 27 comments Sing you home was very good!

Vikki (vikkibee) | 2 comments "Sing you Home" was the first Jodi Picoult novel I read and I thought it was an amazing! So well written - I was instantly hooked on Jodi Picoult after that. Reading "The Storyteller" right now - enjoying it so far!

Donna | 27 comments Definitely!

Jacqueline (musicalcookies) | 2 comments Loved Sing You Home a lot! You should read it. By the end of each chapter I always had to take a deep breath and said 'wow' - because it was beautifully written, it haunted me for at least two months - in a good way. It made me think and ask lots of questions that I have never thought of.

Rachel A. (abyssallibrarian) | 10 comments I liked it, but I didn't love it as much as most of her other books. For me, it felt like there were two competing ideas for storylines that each could have been explored in more depth on their own -- one about the treatment of same-sex couples who are looking to adopt, and then another smaller storyline about the impact of fertility treatments and how that can affect a marriage. I know the fertility issue was not the main focus of the story, but I found it pretty interesting how Max was impacted by his wife's decisions while they were together.

I loved the idea of a book about same-sex relationships and adoption, and I thought it was a very important topic to be addressed. I honestly don't remember very much of the book since I read it a few years ago, but I remember finishing it and feeling like it was missing something for me. It's also possible that some of the religious aspect put me off, since I'm not a huge fan of reading about fundamentalist religious ideas even though it fit the story in this case.