Book Loving Kiwis discussion

Archives > July/August Group Read Nominations

Comments Showing 1-21 of 21 (21 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments During the months of July and August we have two challenges running.

Challenge 1: Young Adult - this can be any young adult novel; old/new, NZ/world, first in a series...

Challenge 2: Around the World - please nominate a book from a country beginning with 'J'. As usual, I will post a list of these countries. The book can be set in the country or well-known to that country, or by an author from that country.

Nominations to be in by 15 June please.

message 2: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Jamaica
Jan Mayen
Japan
Jersey
Jordan
Juan de Nova Island

message 3: by Darkpool (last edited Jun 02, 2012 03:23AM) (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments I'd like to nominate Twin Spica, Volume: 01 for the around the world challenge although it also fits the YA category. It was highly recommended to me by a friend in another group. (set in Tokyo)

message 4: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments And for the YA challenge I'd like to nominate Dead Radiance, which I just spotted on someone's shelf, and thought it looked interesting.

message 5: by Angie (new)

message 6: by Sweetp-1 (new)

Sweetp-1 | 402 comments Young adult nomination for The Bridge which is one of the finalists in the NZ post awards.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah YA: The Fault in Our Stars by John Green The Fault in Our Stars

Around the World: Jamaica, Wide Sargasso Sea Wide Sargasso Sea by Jean Rhys

message 8: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 5 comments The Scorpio Races by Maggie Stiefvater YA

message 9: by Lesley (new)

Lesley | 1569 comments Around the World: Jamaica, The Long Song

message 10: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments What great nominations. Keep them coming!

message 11: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 5 comments The Raging Sea The Powerful Account of the Worst Tsunami in U.S. History  by Dennis Powers About the Tsunami in Japan

message 12: by Beaulah (new)

Beaulah Pragg | 8 comments The Silver Hawk for YA =D

message 13: by Susanne (new)

Susanne | 3 comments Recommend to me in the YA category: Skinned by Robin Wasserman.
It's the first part of a series, so I'm courting trouble, because my reading list isn't long enough yet ;-)

message 14: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Barbara, that book you linked to seems to be about a tsunami in the US. Did you mean a different book, perhaps?

message 15: by Barbara (new)

Barbara (lv2scpbk) | 5 comments Darkpool wrote: "Barbara, that book you linked to seems to be about a tsunami in the US. Did you mean a different book, perhaps?"

I'm not sure. I never read that but when I was looking them up it said it was a tsunami in Japan. So, maybe I got a different one, not sure.

message 16: by Melinda (new)

Melinda Szymanik (writermel) | 160 comments Hi

Rapture by kiwiPhillip W. Simpson for the YA read and does The Hunt by Andrew Fukuda who is half japanese qualify?Andrew Fukuda

message 17: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments A couple more...

Shōgun - Japan
The Secret Garden - YA

message 20: by Darkpool (new)

Darkpool | 1020 comments Kerry wrote: "...Japan - Math Girls by Hiroshi Yuki"

OMGOMGOMG... that's going straight onto the 'to read' list.

message 21: by Angie (new)

Angie (seren-lucy) | 1147 comments Nominations have now closed.
POLLS ARE OPEN!