What's the Name of That Book??? discussion

Suggest books for me > The Wizard of Oz with original illustrations

Comments Showing 1-4 of 4 (4 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sharnie (new)

Sharnie | 16 comments Hello, I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask, but I'm looking for an illustrated copy of The Wizard of Oz but with the original illustrations. I've seen many for sale in my local book store with bright colourful pictures but they are new, and I don't like those quite so much because a lot of the soul of the novel is in the way the illustrations mingle with the text.
Anyhow, what I mean to ask is has anyone seen a copy such as that for sale?

message 2: by Joseph (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:31AM) (new)

Joseph  (bluemanticore) | 441 comments This isn't exactly the right place to ask for what you are looking for, but in any case, I think what you want is this copy found here: http://www.goodreads.com/book/show/60...
This lavishly produced facsimile of the rare first edition contains all 24 of Denslow's original color plates, the colorful pictorial binding, and the 132 two-color illustrations that help make the classic so enduring. Emerald-foil edging and an emerald ribbon marker have been added.

message 3: by Snail in Danger (Sid) (last edited Jun 02, 2012 09:30AM) (new)

Snail in Danger (Sid) Nicolaides (upsight) | 289 comments The Wonderful Wizard of Oz

I've got that edition, originally published in 1987. It has the Denslow illustrations. Though mine has this cover. I keep meaning to create an alternate edition (if one doesn't exist already) and not getting around to it.

Edited to add: have you tried looking to see which editions have W.W. Denslow listed as illustrator? Probably he is not listed on all the ones which use his illustrations but it'd be a place to start.

message 4: by Kaion (new)

Kaion (kaionvin) | 389 comments The Books of Wonder imprint seek to reprint all the Oz books with the original illustrations. Their edition of Wizard of Oz is quite lovely.

unread topics | mark unread

Books mentioned in this topic

The Wonderful Wizard of Oz (other topics)

Authors mentioned in this topic

W.W. Denslow (other topics)