The Rory Gilmore Book Club discussion

Music, Movies, & Miscellany > "Bunheads" New Series by Amy Sherman Palladino

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Kathryn (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments There's a new series by "Gilmore Girls" co-creator Amy Sherman Palladino coming this month! It's called "Bunheads" and is about a ballet studio. The lead is played by Sutton Foster (fellow Broadway fans will probably recognize her name; she's a huge Broadway star, Tony Award winner, etc.) I think it looks great, but then I love dance and I want to be super optimistic that it will be a good series :-)

http://abcfamily.go.com/shows/bunhead...

message 2: by Jenna (new)

Jenna | 4 comments So is Gypsy, the mechanic from Gilmore Girls!

message 3: by Kathryn (last edited Jun 05, 2012 03:28PM) (new)

Kathryn | 361 comments Oh, yay! I didn't catch all of that from the preview. Hooray :-)

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

Does anyone here know when it comes out in the UK?

message 5: by Lori (new)

Lori Walker I'll catch the show because ASP is doing it. I have to admit though that my hopes aren't terribly high because GG set the bar so high.

message 6: by Rincey (new)

Rincey (rinceya) I got to see the pilot early through a special preview and I posted my thoughts on my tumblr in case anyone is interested:
http://rinceya.tumblr.com/post/234802...

message 7: by Gabeline (new)

Gabeline | 2 comments Great. This is why I try not to watch new shows. I hate waiting between episodes! Thanks for sharing--I loved the first episode. :)

message 8: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa111) | 20 comments I kind of suspected the main character was going to be very Lorelai-esque. I was not wrong. I liked the pilot, but I'm not sure that the show will hold my attention for long. Nothing on ABC Family ever does.

message 9: by Rachel (new)

Rachel | 1 comments Melissa wrote: "I kind of suspected the main character was going to be very Lorelai-esque. I was not wrong. I liked the pilot, but I'm not sure that the show will hold my attention for long. Nothing on ABC Fami..."

And Sasha is a slightly more out-spoken and ruder version of rory, there's also a strong physical resemblance.

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa111) | 20 comments All the ballerinas will probably show some Rory and some Paris eventually. A bunch of precocious teen girls ... who would have guessed?

message 11: by Megan (new)

Megan (meg1620) | 1 comments I want to love it. But ABC Family always does this to me - I get excited over the hype of a show but by the 3rd or 4th episode I'm deleting from my DVR without even watching.

message 12: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca | 50 comments Sasha is the Paris character, without a doubt. The 'chubby' girl, can't remember her name, is the Rory. The difference is that the sidekicks ('Madeleine & Louise') are on the Rory-character side of things rather than Team Paris.

And I am not liking it really. Sutton Foster is not really carrying off the Lorelai thing very well, and Fanny's character is nearly unlikeable. Kelly Bishop is brilliant but they aren't giving her too many great opportunities -- just making her look like a hag. This last episode was better for her.

I basically want it to be all about the dancers, with a LOT less showgirl widow.

message 13: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) | 57 comments I just started watching this show on Hulu and love it! Of course, it's no Gilmore Girls, but I definitely see some similarities and am enjoying it so far. I love how all these actors from GG keep appearing in the show. Though I have to say, watching all these ballerinas makes me wish I stuck to ballet; I've been a baton twirler for eight years, but it's not the same. So jealous, lol :)

message 14: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) | 22 comments So far, I've watched up to episode five. =) I've been enjoying the show very much. I feel like in this series though compared to the beginning of Gilmore Girls, you get a feel of the characters faster.

message 15: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) | 22 comments Danielle wrote: "So far, I've watched up to episode five. =) I've been enjoying the show very much. I feel like in this series though compared to the beginning of Gilmore Girls, you get a feel of the characters ..."

Oh, also!
If you have Comcast, you can watch Bunheads Ep.1-9 (exception of 7. It'll probably be posted in a couple of days though) on demand for free under TV series. The only commercials are at the beginning where ABC is trying to get you to watch some of their other series.

Also, I noticed this upcoming Monday they will be re-airing all the episodes so far.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary Dolata | 1 comments Love this show! I can't wait to see which actor from Gilmore Girls will appear from week to week- Gypsy, Zach, Jason, Kirk and all in very different roles from their Gilmore days. The background music is the same as Gilmore Girls. The characters are great, the town is fun, and the dialogue is intelligent and humorous. There is a lack of shows like this on TV and I am happy to have this one for however long it lasts.

message 17: by Marie-pier (new)

Marie-pier | 51 comments The second season is starting Monday!

Kirk is in it!

message 18: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) | 22 comments There was an article I read that said there would be only one day of the second season (I was hoping the article wasn't serious and that there would be more than one episode).

message 19: by Marie-pier (last edited Jan 07, 2013 12:54PM) (new)

Marie-pier | 51 comments Danielle wrote: "There was an article I read that said there would be only one day of the second season (I was hoping the article wasn't serious and that there would be more than one episode)."

I just read the same article, sounds like a typo, she doesn't give more detail, she might have messed up the month? I don't see why they would tease us and then leave up high and dry.

I would have to call them barbarians

message 20: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (tenshinekogirl) | 22 comments Yes didn't quite make sense unless they leash a whole seasons worth on one day? Which I would kind of doubt they would do.

message 21: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylamaurine) I really enjoy the show. It reminds me a lot of
Gilmore Girls with the music, characters, and fast chatting :) did anyone see the new episode this week?

message 22: by Rebecca, the princess of prose (new)

Rebecca Curtis | 70 comments Mod
I love this show, probably because it does remind me a bit of GG. I love Sutton Foster from her broadway life and now as a dance teacher I am a fan! I love this whole new cast and I think that the story lines are so funny and new. I love the Truly character, so random and reminds me a bit of Suki.

message 23: by Marie-pier (new)

Marie-pier | 51 comments Kayla wrote: "I really enjoy the show. It reminds me a lot of
Gilmore Girls with the music, characters, and fast chatting :) did anyone see the new episode this week?"

I did! I haven't sat down to watch t.v. at a particular hour in ages! (I normally watch netflix).

message 24: by Kayla (new)

Kayla (kaylamaurine) I jut watched it today, and thought it was a good episode. I read that A.V. Club named it one of the top thirty shows in 2012. Pretty impressive for a new series!!

message 25: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) | 57 comments Marie-pier wrote: "Kayla wrote: "I really enjoy the show. It reminds me a lot of
Gilmore Girls with the music, characters, and fast chatting :) did anyone see the new episode this week?"

I did! I haven't sat down to..."

I am the same way! Normally I just watch tv online or wait until it's on DVD. This is the first show in so long that I actually drop whatever else I'm doing to watch.

message 26: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa111) | 20 comments I'm still enjoying the show, although I agree with Salon.com's assessment that it is "the strangest, most flawed show I am totally head-over-heels for."

I like all the post-Stars Hollow guest stars that have been appearing. I really hope that Liz Torres shows up ... as Miss Patty.

message 27: by Marie-pier (new)

Marie-pier | 51 comments OMG that would be awesome.

message 28: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (ramblingbooks) | 57 comments Melissa wrote: "I'm still enjoying the show, although I agree with Salon.com's assessment that it is "the strangest, most flawed show I am totally head-over-heels for."

I like all the post-Stars Hollow guest st..."

That would be awesome! I love how Paris made an appearnace recently. Her character on Bunheads is pretty much just an older version of her.

message 29: by Shannon, the founder of fun (back from sabbatical) (new)

Shannon | 254 comments Mod
I'm on episode 8. The last few episodes I watched really pulled me in and I'm liking the dance element to all. The writing is great!

message 30: by Maria (new)

Maria Ch | 2 comments I think this is the show i love to hate this season. if it wasnt for its predecessor Gilmore Girls I would have loved it but the resemblances are too many to ignore. I've come to love Sutton Foster because she is really good at her role (though she is no Lauren Graham) and even though I've come to "accept" the bad acting from all the dancers, its incredibly difficult to accept that this is the way 15 year olds speak. It was easier for me to accept Rory as the precocious little girl because she loved reading so much etc but these are dancers who often talk like 40 year olds

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

Any ideas where I can find and watch the show in the UK? I've tried searching for it on Google, but I can't find any information of the series being broadcasted in England. surely there must be a way of seeing it somewhere - either TV or online?? x

message 32: by Taryn (new)

Taryn (anotherdesperatehousewife) | 81 comments Julia wrote: "Any ideas where I can find and watch the show in the UK? I've tried searching for it on Google, but I can't find any information of the series being broadcasted in England. surely there must be a w..."

http://www.free-tv-video-online.me/in...

message 33: by [deleted user] (new)

Taryn wrote: "Julia wrote: "Any ideas where I can find and watch the show in the UK? I've tried searching for it on Google, but I can't find any information of the series being broadcasted in England. surely th..."

Thank you!! :)

message 34: by Rachel (new)

Rachel The show isn't as fantastic as Gilmore Girls, but it still has a lot of heart. I love that it has the same score as Gilmore Girls, along with the quick dialogue. However, I feel the shows creators knows that each season they have to hype up the show to ABC Family executives because it is not as intense as Pretty Little Liars, The Lying Game and other shows that have a big following on the network.

message 35: by Mia (new)

Mia | 2 comments I definitely think its the more modern take of Gilmore girls but instead of smarts it's ballet.. It's still witty and all but it just spooks me out when I see Gilmore girls characters in other shows/movies acting completely different. Except the last one I saw Liza Weil (Paris) was in it and she was acting the same as per usual

message 36: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (sweetmelissa111) | 20 comments Sean Gunn pretty much plays Kirk again too.