ONTD Book Club discussion

American Gods (American Gods, #1)
This topic is about American Gods
Fiction > June - American Gods - General Discush

Comments Showing 1-40 of 40 (40 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Wigs (wigsnatcher) | 556 comments Mod
Discuss Non-spoiler American Gods stuff here!

message 2: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) I think I'm going to be going for this one this month. Looks interesting.

message 3: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments I didn't like this book at all, haha. I think maybe it's because I did it as an audiobook and the narrator was boring. I feel like maybe I should try again, but it's so long.

As you know I loved it. I think the one chapter that I almost stopped was Chap 4 with all the Russian names I was like omg I can't keep up with this but after that it was smooth sailing. I just really really loved the imagery and I have always thought that Regina Spektor's Blue Lips was inspired by American Gods. Maybe not but the book mentions blue lips like three times and Blue Lips the song is about 'all the gods in all the worlds colliding' with imagery of American immigrants. Just a thought.

Has anybody started this? I also wanted to mention I named my cat Bast after this book lol

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments Wigs wrote: "Has anybody started this? I also wanted to mention I named my cat Bast after this book lol"

Aww you're so excited! I read this book last summer and I loved it! I couldn't put it down. It's fantastic! If I didn't have so many other books I wanted to read I would reread it.

Same! I would totally be at it again if i wasn't in the middle of game of thrones. One epic book at a time!!

Sarah (sarahchute) | 3 comments I'm not quite 3/4 through it, I feel like I'm just kind of trudging along. I really like the concept, and the mythology, but there's something about it that I just can't get into...

Maybe it's because Shadow bores me. I've seen detached narrators work really well, but this just doesn't really feel like one of those times.

message 9: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) I'm about 10% into it and not really feeling it. I'm guessing cos it hasn't taken off yet, but I'm not really intrigued yet.

Nessa Lynn (nesssalynnn) I am on page 87 and the first couple chapters were amazing but like "Wigs" stated, chapter 4 was hard to push through. I am on chapter 5 right now and its picking back up again. Shadow bores me but Mr. Wednesday keeps me intrigued. :-)

message 11: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol "Wigs" this proverbial person we speak of.

What helped me get super into it by the by, is I imagined Shadow as Robert Downey Jr. Everything was automatically perfect and interesting.

haha

Zoe Elizabeth (Booksatlunch)  (booksatlunch) | 52 comments Wigs wrote: "lol "Wigs" this proverbial person we speak of.

What helped me get super into it by the by, is I imagined Shadow as Robert Downey Jr. Everything was automatically perfect and interesting.

haha"

omg it's so great. I love it. It really is perfect

message 13: by Emy (new) - rated it 1 star

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments I'm not really feeling it so far and I'm 15% in.
I did enjoy the scene with the "prostitute" and the fact that it was written in a non cheesy way, but that's about it so far.

message 14: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) I'm 27% in and it's just a bit...I want it to move along a bit. It seems to be dragging.

message 15: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina Rivera (linarivera) | 12 comments I'm 7% in and hoping to get a lot of reading done tonight. I'm slow. Blah.

message 16: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) 48%, still struggling. Is there a 'pick up' point or do you just have to plough through?

message 17: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

For me, and I apologize as I can't remember the order of events, I got really excited about the Egyptian funeral home and Sam and stuff. But I'd say American Gods is all about subtlety.

message 18: by Emy (new) - rated it 1 star

Emy (emy0lee) | 92 comments Zeeba wrote: "48%, still struggling. Is there a 'pick up' point or do you just have to plough through?"

I pretty much found myself struggling thoughout the whole book, it never picked up.

message 19: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

oop

Alicia (is beyond tired of your *ish) (ostensiblya) | 71 comments Hmm. It's definitely more interesting to me than this other book I'm reading that has me so bored I'm not sure if I want to go back to it. But I was hoping it was going to pick up. I only just hit the second chapter and I feel like I've been reading forever, haha.

Also, the happening at the end of the first chapter had me thinking of this Tumblr post (NSFL). Yikes.

message 21: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Wigs (Kween Mel's Ex-Fiance) wrote: "lol "Wigs" this proverbial person we speak of.

haha"

IIRC wasn't Shadow half-Black/Native American? This came up in casting discussions for the proposed HBO show.

And @ Zeeba. I was not a fan of this one, but other Gaiman stuff really gets me.

message 22: by Wigs (last edited Jun 27, 2012 02:28PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

hm I don't remember there ever being a mention of his race.

And since he's (view spoiler) Or am I like completely forgetting what happened....

message 23: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Wigs wrote: "hm I don't remember there ever being a mention of his race.

And since he's [spoilers removed] Or am I like completely forgetting what happened...."

It wasn't overt, but there was something about his mom having Sickle Cell and something about his skintone. It's been forever since I read, but I know Gaiman confirmed and there was a kerfuffled during and ONTD casting rumor post lol

message 24: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Found teh quote: "[I]n my head at least he’s one of those people whose race doesn’t read easily — in the celebrity world, Vin Deisel’s an example of the same kind of look. But it seemed appropriate in a book about America that the hero was of mixed race."

message 25: by Wigs (last edited Jun 27, 2012 02:44PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Mia wrote: "Wigs wrote: "hm I don't remember there ever being a mention of his race.

And since he's [spoilers removed] Or am I like completely forgetting what happened...."

It wasn't overt, but there was som..."

oh okay i guess i never noticed! it's been a while! I think i had just seen Iron Man and was like ROBERT DOWNEY JR immediately in my head

message 26: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Hey that's fine. I never police people's mental images, just get worried when casting calls come out (don't want ANOTHER Bane and Katniss situation).

message 27: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

lol you're talking to a tom hardy stan

but i understand what you mean

message 28: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Wigs wrote: "lol you're talking to a tom hardy stan

but i understand what you mean"

I don't tend to blame the actors, unless they say something assisine in an interview about it.

message 29: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

er have they? :o

message 30: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Wigs wrote: "er have they? :o"

JLaw did, but it was more ignorant than anything else. No idea about Hardy, tho. Seems like a decent dude.

message 31: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

oh no jlaw ;__; didn't know. i thought she did a good job in the movie though

message 32: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) Mia wrote: "And @ Zeeba. I was not a fan of this one, but other Gaiman stuff really gets me.
"

Can you recommend something? I'm about to give up on this one though, every time I think it's starting to pick up, we're back to travelling.

The ~away stories are more interesting than the main. Shadow's such a non entity at the moment there, he seems to be purely there for the purpose of a narrative, so you don't really care about him.

message 33: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Zeeba wrote: "Mia wrote: "And @ Zeeba. I was not a fan of this one, but other Gaiman stuff really gets me.
"

Can you recommend something? I'm about to give up on this one though, every time I think it's startin..."

Try Stardust or Coraline, especially if you haven't seen the films. I LOVED Neverwhere, but it's a long 'un.

He does great audiobooks too, esp if he's narrating.

message 34: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

That's funny cuz everytime i pick up neverwhere i can't seem to keep going...isn't that interesting?

Coraline definitely. Graveyard Book is adorable too, but both of these are more middle-grade books. But easier for short attention spans.

message 35: by Mia (new) - rated it 1 star

Mia (mia-culpa) | 67 comments Try the audiobook! Gamain does amazing narration. It does take a bit to really get going, tho. I might give American Gods another chance one of these days.

message 36: by Z (new) - rated it 2 stars

Z (ladybellatrix) I love both the Coraline and Stardust movies, will defo look into them.

message 37: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments I've just started this. I'm way behind on my June reading because I decided to read Far From the Madding Crowd. I'll blatantly be finishing this in July. Still, I did manage to read 11% in one day, so maybe I won't be too slow.

message 38: by Fran (new) - added it

Fran (narflet) | 36 comments Also, I found this really useful website that I've sent to my kindle to have handy while reading. http://www.frowl.org/gods/gods.html

Adds an extra something, because although the obvious Gods are obvious, there's a lot that are subtle and I don't know them.

message 39: by Wigs (new) - rated it 5 stars

yes! i totally went crazy on that website after i finished :) good for posting it!

message 40: by Lina (new) - rated it 3 stars

Lina Rivera (linarivera) | 12 comments I finally finished! As I wrote in my review: I thought the concept was interesting and I loved the little snippets in between the chapters that we got of the gods. My only real problem was that I felt the concept was too big for the story told. I don't even know if that makes sense, but that was what I was thinking the entire time I was reading it. It's well written though it has some slow parts. It wasn't bad, but I didn't love it like I was hoping to.

Also, I'm way behind on Supernatural, but I just watched the episode from Season 5 where all the gods are assembled and wondered if it was an ode to this book. That would be funny.