Bright Young Things discussion

Chit Chat > Book Sale Find

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Just love book sales. Got an original edition (1918) of the hardback The Black Opal by Maxwell Gray for $2. It's listed online for anywhere between $20-$30. Don't know much about it, can't find anything either. All I know is that it passed the 'flip' test-I scan through the pages and if I am sucked into the reading, it's a keeper.

message 2: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 8 comments I like that "flip" test....and I love book sales. I also find treasures in some of the antique shops I wander into occasionally. In our area, garage sales are very popular, and one can find unusual things here...as well as books. I like the small books printed between 1890 and 1930. So many of this era were self published, and rather obscure authors and titles...but I have found some gems.

message 3: by Ally (new)

Ally (goodreadscomuser_allhug) | 1653 comments Mod
The 'Garage Sale' hasn't really made it across the pond but we do have great organised car-boot sales in most towns on Sundays during the summer. The books available at these are usually a bit disappointing though. I'm lucky to like near a place called Barter Books in Alnwick which is a big old converted victorian railway station jam packed with second hand books an you can pick up some really unusual finds.

message 4: by Jill (new)

Jill Hutchinson (bucs1960) I found a wonderful (and disturbing) travel guide book at the Portobello Road market on British South Africa, published in 1923. It is a window on another time and the advice given to the traveler regarding the indigenous population is the disturbing part but it makes fascinating reading nevertheless.

message 5: by Judy (new)

Judy Olson | 8 comments My favorites are the books that describe parlor amusements at the turn of the century (1900); etiquette books from the same period; and any books on medical procedures for common ailments.

message 6: by Michael (new)

Michael (mikeynick) | 239 comments We've been emptying an deceased eldery relative's house and we found an old family diary which had an entry about a wonder speech by William Gladstone in Southport.But it is the routine day to day entries that are a real insight. One entry referred to post natal as 'in her confinement'. Also if you do family history you might find that a lady relative was accompanying a well to do lady on her holiday in the Isle of man, not quite Monaco but you get the idea.

message 7: by Sarah (new)

Sarah | 3 comments Michael wrote: "We've been emptying an deceased eldery relative's house and we found an old family diary which had an entry about a wonder speech by William Gladstone in Southport.But it is the routine day to day ..."

what a treasure!!