Mystery/Thriller Reading Friends discussion

Monthly "Reads" > may 2012 - sandi

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Only a so so reading month. I have been preoccupied by the NBA playoffs and I watched the complete 1st year of Game of Thrones which I really liked and made me want to get back into reading the series.

Top Read

The Draining Lake by Arnaldur Indridason The Draining Lake
Arnaldur Indridason
Another absorbing, if deliberately paced, police procedural set in Iceland. I am a big fan of crimes from the past type plots and was fascinated by the sections set in post World War 2 East Germany.

Good Reads

Summer Knight (The Dresden Files, #4) by Jim Butcher Summer Knight
Jim Butcher
An enjoyable audio. I do like Harry for the most part (though could do without all the self-recrimination he tends to wallow in) and was entertained, as always, by the narration of James Marsters.

House Secrets (Joe DeMarco, #4) by Mike Lawson House Secrets
Mike Lawson
Another highly entertaining political thriller featuring my favorite regular guy character Joe DeMarco. While the plot did go a bit over the top the writing and the characters were top notch and the narration by Joe Barrett was much improved from the previous book.

Sharpe's Havoc (Sharpe, #7) by Bernard Cornwell Sharpe's Havoc
Bernard Cornwell
Typically entertaining tale featuring the best British rifleman ever, Richard Sharpe. This book is set in 1809 and covers the French foray into Portugal. Listened to the audio read by the always impeccable Patrick Tull.

Did not meet Expectations

Cooking with Fernet Branca (Gerald Samper, #1) by James Hamilton-Paterson Cooking with Fernet Branca
James Hamilton-Paterson
Mildly amusing skewering of the Englishmen in Italy foodie stories that did have some funny lines but in the end did not really amount to a whole lot.

Boiling A Frog by Christopher Brookmyre Boiling A Frog
Christopher Brookmyre
A bit of a drag. Usually I love this author's work but this book was just too focused on issues (Organized religion, New Labour, the new Scottish parliament, and the PR industry) that did not really interest me and, since this was published back in 2000, it was a bit dated too.

message 2: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments I used to enjoy discussing Harry Dresden with Cheryl. She'd let me borrow her audios of the books. I'm glad you're still enjoying them.

message 3: by Marcy (new)

Marcy | 865 comments HBO's version of Game of Thrones has me hooked but I've not read any of the books. (I have to admit to fondling the 1st one last week at Barnes & Noble and also almost downloading it from audible.com just yesterday.)

I'm also a big fan of Joe DeMarco!

message 4: by Melodie (new)

Melodie (melodieco) | 3599 comments We were going to watch the first season of Game of Thrones when it was on HBO, but then talked ourselves out of it when DH started watching the Camelot series that was on Starz, I think. I've never read the books either, but have looked at them like Marcy has. I don't normally care for that type of fantasy, even though I read THE HOBBIT & THE LORD OF THE RINGS books a lifetime ago!

message 5: by Sandi (new)

Sandi (sandin954) | 1189 comments Marcy wrote: "HBO's version of Game of Thrones has me hooked but I've not read any of the books. (I have to admit to fondling the 1st one last week at Barnes & Noble and also almost downloading it from audible...."

I loved the first three books (read all three in July of 2001) but by the time the fourth book was published I had lost interest and had forgotten many of the various storylines.

message 6: by Ann (new)

Ann (annrumsey) | 14297 comments Sandi: Yes, like you, the HBO TV series (which we love!) has tempted me to read the books of the Game Of Thrones; and Marcy I did download the first from audible.com but haven't started it yet.
I have wondered how they differ from the show. I would expect a lot more details and back story, so am still tempted. I am ready for season three to start, and we'll have a good wait! I know what you mean about a delay in a book series sometimes causing us to lose interest.
I am still very interested in catching up with the Harry Dresden books. I love them on audio too. Melodie loaned me one of hers to help me catch up in the early part of the series.
Sandi wrote: "Only a so so reading month. I have been preoccupied by the NBA playoffs and I watched the complete 1st year of Game of Thrones which I really liked and made me want to get back into reading the series..."