The Book Thief The Book Thief discussion

AMAZING [spoiler]

Comments Showing 1-43 of 43 (43 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Maci This book is the best book i have ever read. I loved how this book played with your emotions even if you knew what was going to happen, it still made you sad when it happened. Like when it told you that Rudy was going to die and then when he actually died you still felt like crying.

Kirby yep, one of my all-time favorites! :D

message 3: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Yep, this is one of my favorite books of all time.

Maci I read a lot and this is my all time favorite

Kirby Kirby wrote: "yep, one of my all-time favorites! :D"

Amy wrote: "Yep, this is one of my favorite books of all time."

ha ha!! did that really happen coincidentally?!

Maci What is your favorite part of the book?

Mine is when she is saved by writing in the basement and the bombing happens, and when she goes out and finds everyone dead. It my be sad but it will be something i remember forever.

Also my favorite part of the book is the Word Shaker.

message 7: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Kirby wrote: "Kirby wrote: "yep, one of my all-time favorites! :D"

ha ha!! did that really happen coincidentally?!"

Yes it did! You must have hit "post" right before I did, ha ha!

Maci Is it good?

What is it about?

message 9: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Unpredictable wrote: "Is it good?

What is it about?"

I Am the Messenger is nothing like The Book Thief, but I also enjoyed it. It's about a young male who is not all that ambitious but very hilarious and witty who stops a bank robbery. Soon after his sort-of-unintentional act of heroism, he receives in the mail a playing card with a list of addresses on them. He visits the addresses and realizes that the residents of each address desperately need something and he feels compelled to help them. I won't give anything more away in case you read. It's definitely worth reading and is funny in many parts, but it is not fully up to the level of The Book Thief, but that would be pretty hard to top!

Kirby Amy wrote: "Kirby wrote: "Kirby wrote: "yep, one of my all-time favorites! :D"

ha ha!! did that really happen coincidentally?!"

Yes it did! Y..."

that is hilarious!! it will go down as one of my all-time favorite goodreads moments! :D

Kirby Amy wrote: "Unpredictable wrote: "Is it good?

What is it about?"

I Am the Messenger is nothing like The Book Thief, but I also enjoyed it. It's about a young male who is not all that ambitious but very hilar..."

I would really like to read that one, too! and thanks for the reminder to not keep my expectations too high!

message 12: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Kirby wrote: "Amy wrote: "Unpredictable wrote: "Is it good?

What is it about?"

I Am the Messenger is nothing like The Book Thief, but I also enjoyed it. It's about a young male who is not all that ambitious bu..."

Definitely worth reading! Zusak creates really laugh-out-loud dialog and descriptions. I wonder if he is that funny in real life - if so, he'd be awesome to meet.

Lorna Soooo good - once you get through the first few pages and realise you don't have to be smoking something mind altering to understand what's going on. Powerful and different - gives the reader something to think about for ages.

message 14: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci I will put The Messanger on my book list

Marian Valles Loved this book, it seriously AMAZING!

message 16: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci What is your favorite part?

message 17: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy There are so many favorite parts. I loved the part with Rudy standing in the river to retrieve the book - and then of course asking for a kiss. It was funny and so sad at the same time because it crushed him when she turned him down. And even though it was so sad and I had to read through the tears, I felt the emotional charge of the ending when she said her goodbyes to Hans, Rosa, and of course Rudy who finally gets his kiss. It's hard to call such a devastating part of a story a "favorite," but it's a favorite of mine because it made me feel so much.

Marian Valles Thats my favorite part too! :)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

I actually think I Am the Messenger is more powerful and original, but The Book Thief is a close second. Can't wait for Bridge of Clay!

message 20: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci My favorite part was the bombing part too

Stacy Amy wrote: "There are so many favorite parts. I loved the part with Rudy standing in the river to retrieve the book - and then of course asking for a kiss. It was funny and so sad at the same time because it c..."
I think it was one of the most authentically romantic things I have read ever, I loved the river scene.

Stacy I put this in a category I call one of the best books ever. I hated it at first and called to question anyone who told me to read it. However, I had to read it for book club and hung in there. I gulped when I realized they were going to hide Max, I knew at that moment I was going to love this book and was I ready for it, darkness and all? I love how it brings you in, even in darkness and weaves the most beautiful story. I respect his story telling because it's more like real life. It isn't beautiful where everything is nice, people are good or bad and the hero or heroine is flawless. This is just a beautiful story without all that other crap. I loved it.

message 23: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci I agree that The Book Thief is beautifully written book. I also love how Death Talks.
This is my favorite quote from Death

“A human doesn't have a heart like mine. The human heart is a line, whereas my own is a circle, and I have the endless ability to be in the right place at the right time. The consequence of this is that I'm always finding humans at their best and worst. I see their ugly and their beauty, and I wonder how the same thing can be both. Still, they have one thing I envy. Humans, if nothing else, have the good sense to die.”
― Markus Zusak, The Book Thief

chey One of my favourites. I adore this book. Yes when you first start to read it, its kind of odd but once you get into it the story it is so addictive and amazing and yeah I love it to!

Thomas Bieber I love how Zusak writes, and something about how he creates the characters makes them so loveable. I loved The Book Thief, and although I didn't like I am the Messenger as much, it is another great novel. My favorite quotes from each:
The Book Thief:
"I am haunted by humans."
"So much good, so much evil. Just add water."

I am the Messenger:
"Believe it or not--it takes a lot of love to hate you like this."
"Sometimes people are beautiful.
Not in looks.
Not in what they say.
Just in what they are."

message 26: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci Yeah Markus Zusak writes beautifully and the way he makes the story unfold and the characters so lovable is amazing.

Diala Kasir This Girl loves books wrote: "One of my favourites. I adore this book. Yes when you first start to read it, its kind of odd but once you get into it the story it is so addictive and amazing and yeah I love it to!"

This little excerpt has done enough to convince me that I should read I am the Messenger. I keep seeing it come up and honestly the only reason I read The Book Thief was because I heard two different friends mention it.

message 28: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci I still need to read the messenger. Although it does not seem as good as The Book Thief

message 29: by Dale (new) - rated it 5 stars

Dale Z Like everyone she loves dies.

That doesn't happen a lot of times. But it will play with your damn emotions.

message 30: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci I love this book for that reason too because i like books where something unpredictable happens and that does not happen in lots of books.

message 31: by Amy (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Here is something I just don't understand here on Goodreads. Almost everyone seems to have rated this book a 5, I only ever see a few 4 stars for this book, and I don't think I've seen any ratings below a 4 on comments. The overall rating is 4.33. Then there is the garbage 50 Shades of Grey, which is rated at 3.76, which is not all that far behind a 4.33 - less than a full star. What is up with that??

message 32: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci I would guess that if a couple people rate it bad [for the book thief] if will effect it's average

Ellen I also loved this book - I was not excited to read another World War II, Nazi Germany, good versus evil book. My daughter convinced me that this one was different and I am So glad she did. I had to give it 5 stars. I couldn't help it. I think all the relationships in this book were well crafted and all rang true. I'm so glad I read this book. I think I'll try another by this author.

Kirby Amy wrote: "Here is something I just don't understand here on Goodreads. Almost everyone seems to have rated this book a 5, I only ever see a few 4 stars for this book, and I don't think I've seen any ratings ..."

do you have the stats for how many reviews each book received? (sorry- I'm lazy and hope that perhaps you'd already looked at that data)

message 35: by Amy (last edited Jul 04, 2012 05:24AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Amy Kirby wrote: "Amy wrote: "Here is something I just don't understand here on Goodreads. Almost everyone seems to have rated this book a 5, I only ever see a few 4 stars for this book, and I don't think I've seen ..."

I think the Book Thief had about 196,000 and 50 Shades has about 119,000. I just can't imagine that BT has enough 1 and 2 star ratings to only put it .57 star above 50 Shades. Of course, I see plenty of people comment with 5 stars for 50 Shades. I reserve 5 stars for literature with merit :)

message 36: by Maci (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maci Some people do not like sad books i guess so i guess they rate it 4 or 3 stars

message 37: by Kirby (last edited Aug 12, 2012 04:53PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kirby Amy wrote: "Kirby wrote: "Amy wrote: "Here is something I just don't understand here on Goodreads. Almost everyone seems to have rated this book a 5, I only ever see a few 4 stars for this book, and I don't th..."

hmmmm...that is kind of disheartening.

and, I may actually be a little loose with my 5 star ratings...I think I usually give them for any book that I know I'll want to read again and again over the years. I might should be stingier! :D

Marija *Somewhere beyond this starless sky, Through the darkest days of mine, Another sun will rise* The best book I've ever read!It was so emotional and I cried when Rudy died and he breaks my heart like no body before...He was such a good guy and then die...It was terrible for me!I will always love this book and just don't get it when my friend don't want to read it just because it's too big...

Kirby Marija(Jordan Catalano 4ever) wrote: "I will always love this book and just don't get it when my friend don't want to read it just because it's too big... "

aw, that is a shame! tell your friend that some of the pages are pictures! :D

Kayla When Rudy died I cried my eyes out even though I knew it was going to happen. I was hysterical quite frankly. This book was the saddest book I've ever read, right next to because of Mr. Terupt.

Marija *Somewhere beyond this starless sky, Through the darkest days of mine, Another sun will rise* Kirby wrote: "Marija(Jordan Catalano 4ever) wrote: "I will always love this book and just don't get it when my friend don't want to read it just because it's too big... "

aw, that is a shame! tell your friend ..."

I told her but she still don't want to change her mind... XD

message 42: by Ann (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ann Amy wrote: "Yep, this is one of my favorite books of all time."

Mine too! I read this book a while ago, and still think of it now and again. It was such a sad book, but it was very well written, and the characters were wonderfully creative. I thought the way this book was presented was creative and interesting as well. It was nice to read a book from such an unusual perspective.

message 43: by Maya (new) - rated it 5 stars

Maya Putting it from Death's perspective, literally, made it just that much more amazing.