Its OLD School – Ancient Style! discussion

Fiction fascination! > Favorite ancient fiction

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Else (jelse) | 54 comments Mod
Share what your favorite fiction novel set in ancient history is! I've got a few that I just LOVE!

I would have to narrow it down to Cleopatra's Daughter by Michelle Moran and One Night with the King by Tinney and Olsen. What comes to your mind?

message 2: by Roshell (new)

Roshell | 12 comments This is such a great question! I'm always on the look out for new fiction novels set in ancient time but keep having to go back to Google everytime I need a new book! So I'm keen to know what everyone else thinks.

Mine: Thats easy...Christian Jacq's Ramses The Son of Light, Pauline Gedge's Child of the Morning and Michelle Moran's Nefertiti

ha ha....3 guesses as to which time in ancient history I love....

Nevertheless, I just finished Judith E French's The Barbarian as well as Constance O'Banyon's Sword of Rome and kind of got into Ancient Greece/Rome theme...would someone be so kind as to recommend what I should be reading next?

Happy reading everyone! :)

message 3: by J. (new)

Those sound like some awesome novels! Check out the group's (aka, MY) bookshelf so far. I LOVE amazon.com. They send me recommendations of similar books which has led me to some good ones!!! Plus if new stuff is coming out and you pre-order it, they'll send you a 1st edition!

Child of the Morning is very good. I will have to check out the Ramses book!!!

Thanks for sharing. These types of books can be hard to find as many are not massively printed!

message 4: by J. (new)

PS -- Ancient Egypt is my favorite time period as well!

message 5: by Roshell (new)

Roshell | 12 comments Excellent, I will review the group’s bookshelf for sure!

Again this is such a wonderful idea!

Let’s keep adding to the list!

My other recommendations are:

History with a Romance Twist:
Constance O’Banyon’s
1. Lord of the Nile (2007)
2. Sword of Rome (2007)
3. Daughter of Egypt (2008)

Judith E French’s
Alexander Trilogy
1. The Conqueror (2003)
2. The Barbarian (2004)
3. The Warrior (2005)

Mixed time setting with a Mystery to solve:
Paul Sussman’s
1. The Lost Army of Cambyses (2002)
2. The Last Secret of the Temple (2005)
3. The Labyrinth of Osiris (2012)

Pauline Gedge’s
King's Man Trilogy
1. The Twice Born (2008)
2. Seer of Egypt (2008)
3. The King's Man (2011)

Fictional Life stories
Margaret George’s
1. The Memoirs of Cleopatra
2. Helen of Troy (2006),

India Edghill’s
3. Queenmaker

Mary Renault’s
4. Fire from Heaven

I could go on and on…but I will not bore you too much 

Another tip for finding books to purchase online (if you do not already know), I use Bookdepository they are fantastic and very affordable and have plenty of books (only new books). Best of all is that it is FREE delivery to majority of countries in the world!

message 6: by J. (new)

I just got "The Empire of Darkness" and have started it tonight! Thanks for the recommendation. You could not bore me. I love discovering new authors in my genre of choice!! Thanks!!!

message 7: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margyw) I have so many favorites. I love "Out of the Black Land" by Kerry Greenwood. Also Mary Renault's "The Persian Boy", "The Praise Singer" and "Mask of Apollo".