Action/Adventure Aficionados discussion

Off Topic Discussion > Food, Food, Glorious Food

Comments Showing 1-50 of 58 (58 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
What are you eating? What's good? Like Napoleon's Army, I traveled Europe on my stomach, with arguably similar results. Experience life through food.

Post the good stuff here.

message 2: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

The Pirate Ghost (Formerly known as the Curmudgeon) (pirateghost) | 5327 comments Mod
Currently making Hugh Stew (Texas style) (I call it chili).

Tex-Mex Chili with carrots, bell pepper, mushrooms and sweet purple onions (red) served on a bed of rice covered with cheese and sometimes jalapenos.

message 3: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Sounds delicious. Pizza Friday at my house today.

message 4: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Cool... Made at home in the wood burning, brick kiln or from Pizza the hut (in keeping with those Star Wars fans).

message 5: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

My son said I get to have some Chili. Since he helped make it, he now thinks he owns it.

message 6: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Dean, that sandwitch...darn, Nanna! .. I mean, that sandwich sounds good.

It got me wanting a nice Ruben served from a corner Deli... of course I live on a Culdesac, so, there would be no corner Deli here...

message 7: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Speaking of mustard...

There's nothing I enjoy more then soft pretzels and mustard. Mouth watering delicious!

message 8: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm not sure about other parts of the country, in my part we have a mustard called Weber's mustard made with horseradish. It has a nice little kick to it.

message 9: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I see a theme developing....

I think we need something to wash this down with, any ideas?

message 10: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Lisa P | 1984 comments Mod
So I'm here hanging out on Goodreads right now putting off going to the grocery store (not my idea of fun but a necessity-the grocery store that is...Goodreads is fun AND a necessity). Thinking I'm going to go simple tonight...steak, baked potato, and salad...my husband's favorite!

message 11: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Never had a philly pretzel. Yes, the recipe would be nice, Dean.

message 12: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Just wondering...

Do you have a favorite recipe you always love cooking or a dish people always ask you to make?

message 13: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yes, my steaks and chicken for the grill. It's a shocker, I'm not known as a great cook (that would be my brother) but, once people eat it they want more of it. It's good. (and easy). (It's all in the marinade and what you do in the first minute of cooking.)

message 14: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Do you make your own marinade? What do you do the first minute of cooking?

message 15: by Eileen (new)

Eileen This is great. Thanks for all the cooking ideas. Sometimes I get in a cooking rut and need new ideas and you guys are sure helping fix that.

Dean, sending positive thoughts to you and your family. Whenever you have the time to post, no hurry.

message 16: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Eileen wrote: "Do you make your own marinade? What do you do the first minute of cooking?"

Yes, I do. It's equal parts Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce and Olive Oil. Add some sugar (maybe 2 table spoons per cup of liquid) chop up red onion (my preference) bell pepper and add canned mushrooms (if you add fresh mushrooms they'll soak up all of the marinade and you'll have oily steak and potent (but good mushrooms). I use garlic, fresh or powder and basil (fresh or dried).

They say you waste time marinading over so long...it may be all in my head, but I still think it works best if it marinades at least for 6 hours, I prefer overnight in the fridge. Make sure the meat (chicken or steak-beef) gets a chance to soak all sides.

In the first minute, get the grill really hot (if it's a gas grill just turn it up, if it's not then lower the grill as much as you dare). put the meat on the grill, baste it, let it cool for 20 seconds on one side, flip it, baste it, let it cook for 20 seconds (or so) then turn the heat down and cook normally. Baste a lot, (at least every time it's turned) grill till it's done. It should look "brazed" when it's cooked with a dark almost candied look on the outside (if it's chicken).

While your grilling and basting, take the vegetables out and a few tables spoons of the marinade and saute' the vegetables in a separate pan. They usually taste very good as a relish, but, sometimes turns out salty (due to the soy, I imagine). if you cook some rice (I like brown rice) and dump the cooked veggies on top of the rice. for a trio-some vegetables work well. I like Broccoli steamed with cheese lemon (a small amount) and cheese (cheddar). A piece of lightly toasted french bread (not garlic) usually goes well also.

If you drink, red wine with the beef, what ever you please with the chicken. (Dry works best).

(you can tell, I don't cook much, but this tends to surprise. I've had people (wife and husband) fight over who got the left over veggies.)

message 17: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Sounds really yummy...I'll have to try it!!! Ummm...where do I get a cheese lemon? :)

message 18: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Lisa wrote: "Sounds really yummy...I'll have to try it!!! Ummm...where do I get a cheese lemon? :)"

are you trying to make fun of me Lisa?... that was a typo... it should be Cheese..., (comma) ... lemon. (and a little sugar, not too much).

Cheddar works best for or maybe some kind of cheddar and something else mix. Shred it, lay it on while it's hot and the cheese well melt. Put the butter lemon, sugar, (maybe lemon pepper) on first.

message 19: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Dean wrote: "Eileen wrote:
Dean, sending positive thoughts to you and your family...."

Tell you what, I'll stick it up on my recipe blog I've got but I'm not sure when. I am moving recipes from another site ..."

That's fine and I didn't give amounts for the oil, wooster and soy because it depends on how much your cooking. I find for three boneless-skinless breasts a cup works. For two Ribeye (thick cut) steakes, a cup works (if they aren't too big).

message 20: by Lisa P, My weekend is all booked up! (new)

Curmudgeon wrote: "Lisa wrote: "Sounds really yummy...I'll have to try it!!! Ummm...where do I get a cheese lemon? :)"

are you trying to make fun of me Lisa?... that was a typo... it should be Cheese..., (comma) ...."

I would never do such a thing! ...thought maybe it was some new hybrid fruit thing...that's my story and I'm sticking to it :)

message 21: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Dean wrote: "Eileen wrote:
Dean, sending positive thoughts to you and your family...."

Tell you what, I'll stick it up on my recipe blog I've got but I'm not sure when. I am moving recipes from another site ..."

Where's your recipe blog?

message 22: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Curmudgeon wrote: "Eileen wrote: "Do you make your own marinade? What do you do the first minute of cooking?"

Yes, I do. It's equal parts Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce and Olive Oil. Add some sugar (maybe 2 tabl..."

That does sound delicious, I will try that very soon.

message 23: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Eileen wrote: "Curmudgeon wrote: "Eileen wrote: "Do you make your own marinade? What do you do the first minute of cooking?"

Yes, I do. It's equal parts Worcestershire Sauce, Soy Sauce and Olive Oil. Add some ..."

It's also easy. Despite my best attempts to make it look hard.

message 24: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Hugh, I agree the longer you marinate the better it tastes and if I plan well enough ahead that's over night. I have never tried basting the first minute on the grill cause I'm afraid I'll burn the meat. I will give it a try and let you know if it works for me.

@Lisa, I wish thinking the same thing....cheese lemon? lol.

@Dean, don't have to rush on the cottage cheese recipe...not a fan of cottage cheese, lol.

message 25: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I keep a squirt bottle of water next to the grill with all the oil there are flare ups each time you baste. I think it's more important for the chicken. what you want is to Seer the outside of the meat or as it cooks the good tasting stuff drips out as the fat liquifies.

message 26: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Good tip..I will make sure I have a water bottle handy.

message 27: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

yep, good tip. and remember, squirt the grill/briquettes/charcoal...not the food.

message 28: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Dean wrote: "Where's the blog? I gave directions in a post but if you like just google Dr. House aka Philocrates Recipes and blogspot. It will pop up. I figure if anyone one is interested they can easily t..."

Sorry I must have missed it and thanks for posting again. I'll be sure and check it out. Considering I'm starving right now.

message 29: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Tonight's dinner is going to be Cajun chicken wings and a big glass of something cold.

message 30: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Thanks, Dean!

message 31: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Well, I've been marinating my chicken over night and will soon be putting it on the grill. I followed Hugh's directions and I hope it turns out okay. I'll post my thoughts after dinner.

message 32: by Eileen (new)

Eileen It does sound good and odd at the same time. I'm not sure how to serve that, is it a soup? Would you eat it with eggs?

message 33: by Eileen (new)

Eileen LOL, so true! I love my bread so, I think I would try that on toasted bagette's. Yes, let us know what you think. I'm not a big beer drinker, more rum and coke girl with my cheeseburger.

message 34: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Dean wrote: "Oh green eggs and ham is very easy to make. I had them almost every morning in Boot Camp. You simply set scrambled eggs made from powdered eggs under a sun lamp to keep them warm. The eggs will ..."

LOL, sounds yummy.

message 35: by Eileen (new)

Eileen Well, dinner is over and the chicken was a BIG success!!!! Everyone loved it. I would say the marinated veggies was my favorite. I will definitley make this again. And it's hard to find a meal that all five of us will eat AND like at the same time.

message 36: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Which Chicken Recipe did you go with? The Hughmanator or Jerk Chicken?

message 37: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I cooked the recipe from your post #32. It was delicious!

message 38: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

I'm glad that it worked for you. It's a great marinade for steak too. Worcestershire Sauce is my families favorite seasoning.

Maybe i can remember what i use to make barbeque sauce the lazy man's way and post it.

And remember...when cooking with fresh vegetables, my Grandmother say "you get more flavor out of them when you add sugar.

message 39: by Eileen (new)

Eileen What's everyone having for dinner?

Tonight I fired up the grill and making pork tenderloin rubbed in garlic and spices. Also on the grill are chopped up red potatoes, onions, black pepper and a little butter, wrapped in aluminum foil.

message 40: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Spaghetti made with whole wheat noodles and meat free sauce.

message 41: by Keri (new)

Keri (keri_45) | 110 comments Boneless BBQ ribs and smashed potato salad.

message 42: by Eileen (new)

Eileen All those meals sound delicious!

Haven't had Tilpia in ages.

message 43: by Tracy (last edited Jul 19, 2012 06:27PM) (new)

Tracy | 115 comments Eileen wrote: "What's everyone having for dinner?

Tonight I fired up the grill and making pork tenderloin rubbed in garlic and spices. Also on the grill are chopped up red potatoes, onions, black pepper and a li..."

Oh that sounds good Eileen. Hope your dinner was good. Something else I love grilled is corn, cabbage, and squash. I love just eating veggies grilled and not even sorry about the meat.

message 44: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

yea... all I had was PP&J and leftover past from last nite.

message 45: by Tracy (new)

Tracy | 115 comments Normally I don't like leftovers but I will eat grilled leftovers. Yum!

message 46: by Eileen (new)

Eileen I'm a huge fan of leftovers. I'm always curious why people don't like leftovers. Now leftover pasta is great. I'll agree, some foods just don't make good leftovers.

message 47: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Left over Chili is da-bomb!

message 48: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Pam wrote: "Some things are great as left overs ... Hugh, chili is one of those. Also lasagna and spaghetti."

And PIZZA!

message 49: by Eileen (new)

Eileen How about cold leftover meatloaf with ketchup?

message 50: by The Pirate Ghost, Long John Silvers Wanna-be (new)

Yum... and, even it it isn't great meatloaf, leftover anything with enuogh ketchup works okay.

« previous 1