Not Just Young Adult discussion

Sweet Evil (Sweet, #1)
This topic is about Sweet Evil
Book Reviews > Review of Sweet Evil

Comments Showing 1-9 of 9 (9 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Julie New to the team today and figured I'd jump right in with my review of a new favorite!

I have a HUGE problem with Wendy Higgins. HUGE. Why in the world hasn't she written a book before now?!? I absolutely adored her style of writing. Not that it was anything different from other great writers ... but being that she IS a great writer is the style that I adored, I guess.

I've read so many of these YA writers that seem to talk down to the reader. If that even makes sense. It's almost as if they think that the YA readers, who their book was intended for, are stupid or slow. But I didn't get that feeling from Higgins. And if part of the book wasn't in a high school, I think that it could easily transform into an adult book. Not adult like 50 Shades ... but adult as in not young adult. Anyway, this book was really great.

I haven't read a lot of the angel/demon books that are out there, but if I had, I'm sure that this book would be at the top of my favorite list - as it is now. The character progression was amazing. Is that even a phrase? The way that the character was introduced to you was wonderful. Higgins really made it feel like you were meeting a new friend when she was describing everyone.

Just an amazing book. I could go on and on about it, but I'm afraid if I start delving too deep, that I will give all of the secrets away.

LOVE! I can't wait for the next one ... hopefully it won't be too long ... hint hint nudge.

message 2: by Daphne (new)

Daphne (daphnes) | 102 comments Mod
Thank you for joining the group and writing a review! I have checked this book out before but now I will add it to my TBR list! I prefer YA that is not sooo YA that I feel like I should be 15, so this one sounds great to me! Have you read Hush, Hush?

Julie I hope that you love Sweet Evil as much as I do! I haven't gotten to Hush, Hush yet ... I have it, but I just haven't gotten to it yet. I've heard a lot of great things about it though. I won't even tell you how many books I have on my Nook right now in the to read section ... it's embarrassing! I think that will be my next one though.

Kerry *Pale Daughter* Great review! "Sweet Evil" is high on my list of summer reads.... it's in the towering pile on my bedside table.

Kimm (sistahsunflower) | 5 comments I kept looking at the gorgeous cover and kept telling myself..it can't be as good as it looks..lol My poor book budget for the summer is almost gone but I want to read this NOW...Thank you for the review, this will help me choose wisely.

Julie They should have it at your library!

message 7: by Kerry *Pale Daughter* (last edited Jul 03, 2012 01:28PM) (new) - rated it 2 stars

Kerry *Pale Daughter* OK. Was I the only one bothered by the fact that Kaidan had to have sex with Marissa's so-called "nieces"? They were actually young girls being forced into prostitution. Even Kaidan felt (shame? remorse?) as he refused to talk to Anna about the subject. At least he drew the line at taking the virginity of a 12 year old "niece". I feel that this part of the storyline was totally unneccessary as it did nothing to drive the plot forward. It had already been established that Kaidan's job was to have sex with as many girls as possible as the son of the Duke of Lust. Loss of virginity in preparation for teenage prostitution just made me feel "icky".

Julie I totally forgot about that! Yes, I agree with you, Kerry. I think after it was established that Kaidan was forced to be a man whore, she didn't need to take it to the low that she did.

But on the other hand, I think that if she had gone about it a different way - not that I have ideas how lol - it could have still brought forth the sinister side that I think the author was trying to hit on.

The way that part of the story was presented made it feel like the author was taking teenage prostitution lightly when in these times, we're having a hard time keeping our children as innocent as possible for as long as possible. Anyway ... I know what you mean though!

Kerry *Pale Daughter* I did like Wendy Higgin's concept of angel/demon mythology - the offspring of demons (nephs) whose sole purpose was to spread their fathers' particular vice. Making the son of the Duke of Lust her main male character was a stroke of genius on her part.