Relaxing Fun discussion

anything goes > Eats Shoots & Leaves

Comments Showing 1-22 of 22 (22 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Jennifer (aka EM) (last edited Jan 05, 2009 05:00PM) (new)

Jennifer (aka EM) Okay, let's give this a whirl...

Feel free to post here your pet peeves, wry observations or age-old dilemmas with respect to spelling, punctuation, grammar and usage.

Included are those common faux pas, mistakes and malaprops that make your teeth grit à la Eats Shoots and Leaves.

I'll start us off:

I am Canadian and as a result you will find my comments peppered with "our"s and "re"s as in favourite, labour, centre, theatre, etc.

Question:

If you are American, does seeing this spelling throw you for a loop?

If you are Canuck, Brit or Aussie (or anywhere else the Queen's English is favoured), do you Americanise (Americanize?) your spelling when writing to a U.S.-based audience?

Just curious ...

message 2: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments I do the same thing. This is the result of having an English mother, though. When I was first learning to read and write, I took after her ways. Ha, it's funny.

I had to train myself out of spelling "realize" as "realise"

message 3: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) I spell everything the English way, all the time. I put up with American spelling just about everywhere, and I certainly notice it, though I don't really care, so why should I change the way I spell for someone else's convenience? It's just habit, nothing more.

Thanks to studying linguistics and being indoctrinated with descriptivism, I ignore most grammatical errors these days. The only one that really annoys me is the rapidly-disappearing distinction between 'less' and 'fewer'. It seems fewer and fewer people these days are even aware that there is a difference.

message 4: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) well, I'm from a country that spells things like colour with a "our" and I do that often for my school things.i'm always cautious about it though.

message 5: by Matthieu (last edited Jun 28, 2017 10:19AM) (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Yes, that bothers me as well. Mmm, descriptivism... I reckon you'd get along well with my cousin She's a grad student studying linguistics.

message 6: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Yui, I see that you're from Palo Alto. That's my hometown!

message 7: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) really!? i don't know any one on goodreads form PA!!!!! yay!!!!!

message 8: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments I moved when I was 6. I really miss living there. I go back every summer to see what's changed (and what hasn't). Make Paly proud, Yui!

message 9: by C. (new)

C. (placematsgalore) Wow, you must really have a strong attachment. I moved to Melbourne when I was 8 (from England), and it's well and truly home now.

message 10: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Ha, yeah, I really can't explain my attachment to Paly after all these years... I suppose I have a strong connection to my early childhood.

I love living in Pennsylvania, though. It's really beautiful here. As much as I love Paly, I don't think that I'd ever move back. That door has long since shut.

What part of England are you from, Choupette? My mother hails from Oxford.

message 11: by Jessica (new)

Jessica  (jessicaafrank) | 257 comments Mod
Eccentric Muse wrote: "Okay, let's give this a whirl...

Feel free to post here your pet peeves, wry observations or age-old dilemmas with respect to spelling, punctuation, grammar and usage.

Included are those commo..."

I am used to the alternate spellings so I don't usually notice them.

Jennifer (aka EM) Less and fewer make me crazy, too, Choupette.

How about your and you're?
Then and than?

I see these ALL the time.

message 13: by Yui (last edited Jan 06, 2009 10:42PM) (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) Matthew wrote: "I moved when I was 6. I really miss living there. I go back every summer to see what's changed (and what hasn't). Make Paly proud, Yui!"

really? i'm a future Paly student!

message 14: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Hooray! I'm sure you'll love it, Yui. It's a wonderful school in a wonderful town.

message 15: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) i live really close to Paly.

message 16: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Ah, the time will fly by, just you watch and see! It seemed like only yesterday that I was starting high school, and now I'm a freshman in college. It's crazy how these work. 4 years gone in the blink of an eye.

message 17: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) what college do you go to?

message 18: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Princeton University.

message 19: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) Cool! My dad went there.

message 20: by Matthieu (new)

Matthieu | 26 comments Oh, cool! My dad was also an undergrad. He graduated in 1983, I believe.

message 21: by Yui (new)

Yui (ilovegrendel) I don't think I know when my dad graduated

message 22: by Elena (new)

Elena | 31 comments I usually write using the Standard British English spelling (realize, theatre and the like) because that's how we're taught at school here... But since I happen to read a lot of American stuff (books, websites etc) I tend to slip the AmericaniSed spelling here and there even if I don't mean it. perhaps that makes an odd mix with my old-fashioned vocabulary (that's because the use of prhasal verbs and slang is hard to learn, and formal, Latin-rooten words/expression are easier to our Italian ears...)