Chicks On Lit discussion

Archive 08-19 > July and August reads

Comments Showing 1-50 of 64 (64 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
If you've been following this thread you know we are working on a new way to do monthly reads. Thanks to your input and discussion between Sheila and myself we'd like to try something new.

Rather than doing a poll after nominations we are going to do it contained within this thread. We will do a newer read for August and a not so new (but not classic) read for July.

We hope this accomplishes a few goals.
1. We hope that people who take part in the nomination obviously will commit to leading it or perhaps finding someone who wants to lead it with them.
2. We can get some prediscusion going and excitement about the book because you have the chance to say what book and why youd like for it to be up for discussion.
3. If you say "Yeah, I'd like to be in on that discussion" you actually will be in on that discussion.
4. A vote for a book is really voting on a book you want to participate in the discussion of.

To get a clear view of what the group wants to discuss we ask that you only vote if you intend or hope to be in on the discussion. If you vote just to vote then perhaps a book that would have won, that people wanted to discuss, is missed because the votes are inaccurate.

So, please let us know what book(s) youd like to read for July (older book ie one thats in PB and wide circulation) and August (a newer book). We encourage you to say why you are suggesting that book and if you're voting for a book let us know why. We want to get a good discussion going and get people excited for the reads.

Thanks,
T~

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments I am not sure if it is newer or older but I liked "Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder". It is a cozy mystery and it is pretty good. It is a fun, easy read. It takes place in a small town atmosphere where you feel like you know everybody. It also has delicious recipes of the cookies and desserts the main character makes.

message 3: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Jun 02, 2012 07:43AM) (new)

Sheila  | 3485 comments Mod
Jayme, Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder (Hannah Swensen, #1) by Joanne Fluke looks like it could be a fun read, and I like that you say it includes recipes. Yummy things to bake! :o) Looks like the hardcover version was published in 2006, and is available in many formats including mass market paperback, so I think it would go in the older read catagory. It is available for $3.19 for a kindle version for those with kindle, and I would imagine it could be easily available at libraries.

Would anyone be interested in this book for a monthly read? If not, what would you be interested in?

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments It is available from the library.

message 5: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

And just to get the discussion going on some possible "newer books", I am just going to throw out the names of some newer books I have heard about lately. If anyone is interested in any of these, or in anything else, please just start talking! :o)

Some newer books (not necessarily nominations, unless someone is interested in one of these):

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail Wild From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail by Cheryl Strayed : Oprah's newest pick, and sounds like something along the lines of Eat, Pray, Love??

In One Person In One Person by John Irving : An Amazon Best Book for May. Deals with bisexuality and transgenedered people. Could be controversial?

The Paris Wife The Paris Wife by Paula McLain : Novel about Ernest Hemingway, his first wife, and Paris in the 20's.

The Language of Flowers The Language of Flowers by Vanessa Diffenbaugh : Sounds like a nice woman's novel.

Any of these interest anyone? If they do, speak up! If they don't, please make some other suggestions. :o)

And if you are afraid to speak up because you are afraid to "lead" a discussion, just say so, and ask for volunteers for co-leaders. :o)

message 6: by Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) (last edited Jun 02, 2012 03:51PM) (new)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I read both The Paris Wife and The Language of Flowers. They were wonderful and full of things to talk about.

message 7: by Nell (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

Nell I'm interested in reading and discussing The Language of Flowers. This book just came out in paper. The author has been a foster parent and drew on her experience in creating the main character.

I read the Joanna Fluke mystery about three years ago and several others in the series. It's a cozy mystery, the main character owns a cookie bakery. The early ones were fun reads but I'm not sure how much there is to talk about.

message 8: by Vicki (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:52PM) (new)

Vicki I would give Chocolate Chip Murder a go. It looks fun. I also just started The Language of Flowers but can put it on hold as I would love to discuss it with a group.

I have been looking through some of my to-read books and I have a few ideas. I know traditionally you only nominate one book, but it looks as if we are throwing out ideas so for now, I am going to list a few ideas I have, and if you want me to change it to just one book, please let me know.

Older books:
Life of Pi by Yann Martel
A Prayer for Owen Meany by John Irving.

Though I have not read either yet, I own them and would be willing to lead a discussion and they look as if they would have some interesting discussion.

Newer Books:
Snow Child
Defending Jacob

There appears to be high interest in these in other groups currently reading threads and on my GR friends list, maybe they would be worth a shot.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments I would be open to Snow Child because I think I am reading that for another challenge. I also be up for "Language of Flowers"

message 10: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments Id be interested in the Paris Wife or The Language of Flowers! I havent read either one

message 11: by Kristie (new)

Kristie (spedkristie) | 385 comments A prayer for Owen meany is one of the best books I've read.....I'm looking forward to reading In one skin.....

Owen Meany gets a vote for me!

message 12: by Nell (last edited Jun 03, 2012 04:36AM) (new)

Nell Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan Maine by J. Courtney Sullivan looks like a perfect summer read. Published last summer, it just came out in paper.

message 13: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Both the Paris Wife and The Language of Flowers look interesting to me and I would read either.

message 14: by Nancy (Colorado) (new)

Nancy (Colorado) I would be up for The Language of Flowers, Snow Child, and Defending jacob as the newer book. I am flexible on the older book choice!

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) How about A Moveable Feast by Ernest Hemingway. It does tie in with The Paris Wife.

Nancy, I am reading Defending Jacob right now and it is excellent, one of those books that is hard to put down.

message 16: by Abby (last edited Jun 04, 2012 05:56AM) (new)

Abby | 119 comments "The Paris Wife" sounds interesting to me too. So often in bookclubs it's all fiction - this would be a nice change. And "Maine" does sound like a good summer read. These two get my votes.

message 17: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4030 comments I would like to suggest/nominate "Brooklyn" by Colm Tobin. This one keeps appearing on "you must read" lists every where I look the past 2 years. It is a story of a young woman who moves from Ireland to Brooklyn in the 1950s looking for work. It is described as gorgeous prose and spell binding characters by critics I respect.

message 18: by Rebecca (new)

Rebecca I would be for Brooklyn too Irene. I have a copy my sister in law gave me and would like to get it read.

message 19: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Irene wrote: "I would like to suggest/nominate "Brooklyn" by Colm Tobin. This one keeps appearing on "you must read" lists every where I look the past 2 years. It is a story of a young woman who moves from Ire..."

Have not heard of this, but I'm open to it, also. Sounds interesting!

message 20: by Jessica (new)

Jessica | 68 comments I have seen The Paris Wife around and it looks interesting. If that was the August read, I'm sure I could get it read in time and would discuss.

message 21: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4030 comments I read "The Paris Wife" last year and would not give it a second read. But, I might be able to make a comment or two just on my memory. I have never red "A Movable Feast" and would be open to it.

message 22: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4030 comments Rebecca, If "Brooklyn" does not make the vote, would you be interested in doing a buddy read of it with me? Amy, would you be interested?

message 23: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments Sure - I'd be interested in a buddy read.

message 24: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I would love to discuss Life of Pi. It's a really interesting book.

I'm on hold at the library for a non-fcition book. We don't usually read non-fiction, but this one is pretty new and seems really interesting: Quiet: The Power of Introverts in a World That Can't Stop Talking by Susan Cain. By the time August rolls around, hopefully I'll be at the top of the list!

message 25: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:35PM) (new)

Okay, just trying to get a feel for where we are right now. :o)

It looks like for the August New Book read, we have two books so far with 6 or more people interested:

The Paris Wife: Marialyce, Christine, Amy, Stacey, Abby, Jessica

The Language of Flowers: Marialyce, Nell, Jayme, Christine, Amy, Nancy, Zoe

(I would be willing to read either, so didn't list myself)

If there is a big interest in both of these books, we could do one for our August New read, and the other for our October New read, which would save on nominations and votes for awhile, and give people time to acquire copies. Thoughts?

As for the July Older read, we have several nominations, all with two or three readers, so we need more of a decision on these. It would be nice to get at least 6 or more people commited to a read any book, so we know we are likely to have a decent discussion. And again, if we get two books with high willingness to read and discuss, we could do them both, one in July, one in September.

So thoughts on these books please ladies? Chime in on which you would be willing to read. Name more than one if there is more than one you would be willing to join a discussion on. If you have read the book in the past, and would be willing to just chime in and comment (even if you don't want to re-read) please say so to, just as long as you are wiling to participate in the book discussion. Nominations for older books are:

editing names as people chime in

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder: Jayme, Vicki,
Life of Pi: Vicki, Jennifer, Nell
A Prayer for Owen Meany: Vicki, Kristie, Jennifer, Marialyce
Maine: Nell, Abby
A Moveable Feast: Marialyce, Stacey, Irene
Brooklyn: Irene, Rebecca, Amy, Christine, Nell

(And if I have wrongly listed your name for a book, or accidently not listed your name, just say so. I'm only human! LOL)

message 26: by Christine (new)

Christine | 1311 comments Looks great to me, The only book I would be interested enough in to participate in July is Brooklyn.

message 27: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments At some point I'd like to read both The Paris Wife and The Language of Flowers, I just can't say I'd get to them for sure by August.

For July I could definitely participate in Life of Pi as I just reread it this spring. I would also be interested in reading A Prayer for Owen Meany.

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments I stick with the Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder. I think since Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder and Brooklyn both have three votes we should do a tie breaker on those because they both have three votes instead of just the two on the others.

message 29: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
I'm just throwing this out - but - I totally am loving this way of doing it. I know it seems a little hectic but it's making me hungry to read a few of these because of the discussion they have already generated. I have been a in a slump lately so that is so welcomed. I would vote but I'm going to be on vacation for all of July and part of August and my online time will be limited so I think it would be unfair of me to vote, but so many of these sound good.

message 30: by Amy (new)

Amy Neftzger (neftzger) | 240 comments I'm liking this, too. My TBR list is growing :)

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) I have read and was quite disappointed in Brooklyn as well as Maine so I would not want to reread those two. I could reread A Prayer for Owen Meany though. Not so interested in Rereading Life of Pi either nor The chocolate Chip Cookie Murder(just not into mystery nor cooking either.) would not hold any interest either for me.

Sorry to be such a pill, but I will probably skip the group read should any of the above be selected.

message 32: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Jun 04, 2012 09:11PM) (new)

Marialyce wrote: "Sorry to be such a pill, but I will probably skip the group read should any of the above be selected."

You are not being a pill, Marialyce, you are being honest, and it is appreciated! Plus, you said both Paris Wife and Language of Flowers were wonderful, with lots to discuss, so your participation in those New Read discussions will be welcomed!

We don't expect anyone to want to read or discuss every book selected for a group read. Some will interest certain people, others will interest others. We are just hoping to find some books that enough ladies are willing to read and discuss to keep the discussions interesting. And when Tera suggested this format of choosing books to me (as opposed to the prior nominate and vote), I thought it was a great idea because I figured many people might be willing to vote but then would never post a comment, but at least by holding the selection this way, we can guarantee that there will be some people who are willing to post a comment, because they were willing to post a comment in this thread. :o)

Plus, Marialyce, since you say you have read Brooklyn, and Maine, but would not want to reread, you are welcome to still join in discussions for those (if they are picked) just to share what you didn't like, and why you didn't want to reread them. No discussion has to be all flowers and sunshine. Hearing why someone thought a book was not worth revisiting can be just as interesting.

message 33: by Nell (last edited Jun 05, 2012 03:37AM) (new)

Nell *I commented on reading Joanne Fluke's mystery but my vote is AGAINST it as a group read.

I am in favor of group reads for: Maine, The Language of Flowers, Brooklyn or Life of Pi.

Since you are separating this between new and old publications, Maine was published last year about the same time as The Language of Flowers.

I am in favor of posting a poll for the group read with the choices given so that more group members will have an opportunity to vote and more interest can be generated for the discussion. The post can refer to our discussion thread here.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Sheila wrote: "Marialyce wrote: "Sorry to be such a pill, but I will probably skip the group read should any of the above be selected."

You are not being a pill, Marialyce, you are being honest, and it is apprec..."

Thank you, Sheila, for your understanding and kindness.

message 35: by Irene (new)

Irene | 4030 comments Marialyce, Thanks for the comments on Brooklyn. I would love to know why you did not like it. Maybe I should not bother with it if it is disappointing.

I would not read a cozy mystery, just not my type of book.

Read Owen Meany for a book group a couple of years ago and was not thrilled, so would not re-read. Doubt I recall enough to chime in a discussion, but would lirk around reading other's posts. Life of Pi was interesting, perplexing, but not a re read for me.

I would be willing to read Movable Feast also.

Marialyce (absltmom, yaya) Irene wrote: "Marialyce, Thanks for the comments on Brooklyn. I would love to know why you did not like it. Maybe I should not bother with it if it is disappointing.

I would not read a cozy mystery, just no..."

Irene, I do not remember much having read it two years ago. I do remember the main character as being very passive and I usually do not like characters especially women, who seem to melt into the wallpaper. I remember looking forward to it as what the main character goes through is part of my heritage. As I recall I found the book did not engage me at all and I was anxious for it to end. It was dull and since this book had been hyped at that time I was expecting more, better writing, experiences etc. I believe I rated it a two.

However, I do know others who really liked it. It was just not for me.

message 37: by Nancy (Colorado) (new)

Nancy (Colorado) With all these great book ideas, maybe we do need a poll!!

message 38: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Jun 05, 2012 06:34PM) (new)

The problem with posting a standard poll for people to pick the book is that people who vote in the poll for the winning book often never post a single comment in the discussion thread. So a book might win, with 10 voters, but only 2 or 3 join the discussion. :o(

That is why we are trying this route this time to pick a book, because at least we are hearing from people willing to post a comment. Anyone here on CoL is WELCOME to Post a Comment now in this thread to say which book they want to read. :o)

I would say since both The Paris Wife and The Language of Flowers have high interest and many people saying they are willing to discuss, we will plan on reading and discussing both of those books (on separate months).

So we really just need to decide on the "older" read. The books discussed so far, and their vote corrected vote counts, are:

Brooklyn: Irene, Rebecca, Amy, Christine, Nell, Nancy, Vicki

A Prayer for Owen Meany: Vicki, Kristie, Jennifer, Marialyce

A Moveable Feast: Marialyce, Stacey, Irene

Life of Pi: Vicki, Jennifer, Nell, Zoe

Chocolate Chip Cookie Murder: Jayme, Vicki,

Maine: Nell, Abby

All Chicks are welcome to chime in on this thread! Even if you have not commented up to yet. Which of the above book would you like to discuss for July. If you are willing to join in the discussion thread for a book, just post a comment saying so now. :o)

Jayme(the ghost reader) (jaymeiltheghostreader) | 4844 comments whatever is chosen I will make an effort to participate in the discussion.

message 40: by Zoe (new)

Zoe Brooks (potok) | 21 comments I vote for the Life of Pi and the Language of Flowers

message 41: by Nancy (Colorado) (new)

Nancy (Colorado) I would pick Brooklyn for the older book and The Language of Flowers for the newer one.

message 42: by Jennifer W (new)

Jennifer W | 2175 comments I do like this format for deciding books because it encourages comments. However, I would suggest in the future that maybe 2 separate threads for the "older" nomination and the "newer" one.

message 43: by Tera, First Chick (new)

Tera | 2563 comments Mod
Jennifer W wrote: "I do like this format for deciding books because it encourages comments. However, I would suggest in the future that maybe 2 separate threads for the "older" nomination and the "newer" one."

Brilliant!

message 44: by Nell (last edited Jun 05, 2012 01:36PM) (new)

Nell I'm confused about the separation between older and newer. Is it older after 1 year? Both Maine and The Language of Flowers were published last year, one in June and the other in September. Maine is listed as an older read, Language... as a newer one. Both came out in paperback last month.

message 45: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (new)

Nell wrote: "I'm confused about the separation between older and newer. Is it older after 1 year? Both Maine and The Language of Flowers were published last year, one in June and the other in September."

Then Maine should probably have gone under the Newer section, but we already have two newer books with 6 or more people interested in reading them, while Maine only has two votes. We can remove Maine from the older catagory if you would prefer, and you can renominate it next go around as a New book, if you would like.

Next time, we will have to do two separate threads for newer and older (like Jennifer suggested, and which I agree is a brilliant idea!). This thread is a new attempt at selecting group reads, so bear with us. :o)

message 46: by Nell (new)

Nell Sheila wrote: "Nell wrote: "I'm confused about the separation between older and newer. Is it older after 1 year? Both Maine and The Language of Flowers were published last year, one in June and the other in Sep..."

By then it might be an older book! LOL!!

I don't think it generated enough interest this time around to be a group read either way. Thanks for responding.

message 47: by Sheila , Supporting Chick (last edited Jun 05, 2012 01:49PM) (new)

You are cracking me up, Nell! LOL That seriously made me laugh out loud. :o)

message 48: by Vicki (new)

Vicki I would also be willing to participate in a discussion on Brooklyn too.

message 49: by Nell (new)

Nell Goodreads is hosting a live author chat with the author of The Language of Flowers on June 26th. Check it out.

message 50: by Mandy (last edited Jun 07, 2012 06:08AM) (new)

Mandy Petrocelli Hmmm...is it too late to chime in for The Snow Child?
I think there were a couple others interested...

« previous 1