Shut Up & Read discussion

Archives > Athena's 100 book goal

Comments Showing 1-14 of 14 (14 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by ~Thena~ (last edited Jun 01, 2012 08:38PM) (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments I've been meaning to start this thread since I joined this group a couple of months ago but kept forgetting. So here it is--finally! :)

My original goal at the beginning of the year was to read 50 books. I used to read 3-4 books a week, easy, and then I had kids. I spent the last 6 years barely reading at all, but I had this small problem. I kept buying books like I used to. As it stands right now, I currently own 194 books that need to be read--some in paper, some in ebook.

!!!

Anyway, I started with the goal of 50 books and realized at the end of March that I was on track to read almost twice that. So I increased my goal to 100. :)

As of Friday, June 1, 2012, I have read:

1. Gift of Magic (Nine Kingdoms, #6) by Lynn Kurland
2. Inheritance by Christopher Paolini
3. Cold Magic (The Spiritwalker Trilogy #1) by Kate Elliott
4. Cold Fire (The Spiritwalker Trilogy #2) by Kate Elliott
5. The Demon King (Seven Realms, #1) by Cinda Williams Chima
6. Blood Song (Blood Singer, #1) by Cat Adams
7. Siren Song (Blood Singer, #2) by Cat Adams
8. Demon Song (Blood Singer, #3) by Cat Adams
9. Passion (Fallen, #3) by Lauren Kate
10. Fallen in Love (Fallen, #3.5) by Lauren Kate
11. Theft of Swords (The Riyria Revelations, #1-2) by Michael J. Sullivan
12. Rise of Empire (The Riyria Revelations, #3-4) by Michael J. Sullivan
13. Heir of Novron (The Riyria Revelations, #5-6) by Michael J. Sullivan
14. The Exiled Queen (Seven Realms, #2) by Cinda Williams Chima
15. The Gray Wolf Throne (Seven Realms, #3) by Cinda Williams Chima
16. The Viscount and the Witch by Michael J. Sullivan
17. The Iron Daughter (The Iron Fey, #2) by Julie Kagawa
18. The Iron Queen (The Iron Fey, #3) by Julie Kagawa
19. Switched (Trylle Trilogy, #1) by Amanda Hocking
20. Torn (Trylle Trilogy, #2) by Amanda Hocking
21. Shiver (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #1) by Maggie Stiefvater
22. Linger (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #2) by Maggie Stiefvater
23. Forever (The Wolves of Mercy Falls, #3) by Maggie Stiefvater
24. The Curse Girl by Kate Avery Ellison
25. Grave Mercy (His Fair Assassin, #1) by R.L. LaFevers
26. City of Bones (The Mortal Instruments, #1) by Cassandra Clare
27. City of Ashes (The Mortal Instruments, #2) by Cassandra Clare
28. Water (Akasha, #1) by Terra Harmony
29. Ever Shade (A Dark Faerie Tale, #1) by Alexia Purdy
30. City of Glass (The Mortal Instruments, #3) by Cassandra Clare
31. Frost (Frost, #1) by Kate Avery Ellison
32. A Demon Made Me Do It by Penelope King
33. The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1) by Suzanne Collins
34. Deadlocked (Sookie Stackhouse, #12) by Charlaine Harris
35. Fire with Fire by Penelope King
36. Summer's Crossing (Iron Fey, #3.5) by Julie Kagawa
37. The Iron Knight (Iron Fey, #4) by Julie Kagawa
38. Hounded (Iron Druid Chronicles, #1) by Kevin Hearne
39. The Immortal Rules (Blood of Eden, #1) by Julie Kagawa

message 2: by Martha (new)

Martha  (iread1105) | 157 comments Right on!
Love your name by the way :D

message 3: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

Sheri | 12218 comments Mod
You sound like me! Good luck with your goal :)

message 4: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Sheri wrote: "You sound like me! Good luck with your goal :)"

Martha wrote: "Right on!
Love your name by the way :D"

Thank you!

I'm so excited to be reading again that I'm still ignoring all the books I bought years ago but didn't get to. It just seems like there are new books I'm dying to read coming out every week!

message 5: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I've done that too! I bought books a few years ago and then either my tastes have changed or I just decided there were better sounding books out. I use Paperbackswap.com (http://www.paperbackswap.com/home.php) to get rid of my old books and get new ones. It's a great site. You pay to ship your old books out but then when you pick new books it's free for you.

message 6: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Finished today:

40. City of Fallen Angels (The Mortal Instruments, #4) by Cassandra Clare

Here is my review. http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 7: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 368 comments Keep up the good work!

message 8: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments Thanks!

Finished today:

41. The Darkest Whisper (Lords of the Underworld, #4) by Gena Showalter

Review: http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

message 9: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments According to the Goodreads challenge widget, I'm only 1 book behind now! Yay!

42. Unearthly (Unearthly, #1) by Cynthia Hand

43. Halfway to the Grave (Night Huntress, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

44. Hexed (Iron Druid Chronicles, #2) by Kevin Hearne

message 10: by Gayatri (new)

Gayatri | 368 comments That's great! According to Goodreads I am like 11 books behind! Its going to be tough!

message 11: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments I forgot to post these last weekend. :)

Week 25 (through 6/23):

45. Hammered (Iron Druid Chronicles, #3) by Kevin Hearne

4/5 stars

I loved this book! It was darker than the others, and I was very sad at some parts, but it was fantastic. I love Atticus and Oberon so much and can't wait to read the next one.

46. Kings & Queens (Kings & Queens, #1) by Courtney Vail

3/5 stars

It took me a lot longer to read this book than it usually takes me. I had a really hard time getting into it--it just felt too jumpy to me and that made it really hard for me to focus. Overall, though, I found that I did enjoy it by the time I got to the end. While it takes some time to get used to the writing style and pacing, the story moves very quickly. There were periods when I felt too much detail was being given in a short amount of time, and that made it feel a bit cramped and sloppy, but the story quickly picked up again. The characters were all well fleshed out and, like Maj, you never do know who to trust while you're reading.

The suspense was built well and the twists and turns kept the story from being predictable. There were a few errors scattered throughout and some of the choppiness could be smoothed out a bit with an editor, and I found parts of the end wrapped up too neatly. This is why I had to lower my rating to three stars from four.

If you like furiously paced stories that keep you guessing and build tension very creatively, you will love this book. The entire thing felt like a crazy ride at an amusement park--spinning you around, flipping up upside down, over and over, until you can't tell which way is up, then finally coming to a screeching halt, leaving you a bit rattled and not realizing until the ride's over and you had a moment to catch your breath that you loved it.

Thank you to Shut Up and Read on Goodreads for the opportunity to review this book.

47. SelfSame by Melissa Conway

4/5 stars

Wow. I'm not really sure what I can say beyond, I loved this book, but I will try to do a bit better than that. :)

I didn't really know what to expect when I was given this to read and review, but I thought the concept sounded interesting. I started reading it this evening, after putting my kids to bed, and read it in one sitting because I quickly became engrossed in the world Melissa Conway created. The world was vividly rendered and the characters all felt alive. I came to care deeply for Enid and Sorcha, and kept turning and turning the pages so I could find out what happened to them. I was completely swept away by this story, in a way that hasn't happened in a long time. I laughed, and I cried. I became angry, and so, so sad, and thrilled. Such a small book to elicit so many strong emotions. I'm still amazed.

I'm sure I will read this many times.

message 12: by ~Thena~ (last edited Jul 01, 2012 11:34AM) (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments This week was a busy week for reading! :-D

Week 26 (through 6/30)

48. Marked (Eternal Guardians, #1) by Elisabeth Naughton

4/5 stars

Anyone who knows me knows my love of Greek mythology.  I really liked this book.  The mythology was really well done in it--I'm usually the first to complain loudly at inaccuracies--and the characters were likeable and portrayed well.  The romance depended a bit too much on Fate, but it was still enjoyable. I'm looking forward to where this story is going to go. I hope we get to know the other argonauts as well!  I'm really interested in Nick's and Demetrius's stories.

49. Something from the Nightside (Nightside, #1) by Simon R. Green

4/5 stars

A fun book filled with characters a bit different than the stereotypical types you find in most UF and an interesting premise for the world.

50. Child of Fire (Twenty Palaces, #1) by Harry Connolly

3/5 stars

I liked ths book mostly because I really liked Ray Lilly. He is deeper than I expected. The story is fast paced and a bit graphic, and it pulls you along because you want to know what's happening. The lack of background bothered me, though. Events that lead Ray and Annalise to this point are referenced in a way that made this book feel like a sequel and not the first in the series. I even had to go back and look at the overview to make sure I was actually reading the first book and didn't accidentally skip over it.

51. Spider's Bite (Elemental Assassin, #1) by Jennifer Estep

4/5 stars

I forgot to write a review for this one, but I loved it! I hope the next books go into more detail about the reasons her family was killed.

52. Divergent (Divergent, #1) by Veronica Roth

3/5 stars

There was a lot of action that kept it interesting and kept me turning pages. I liked it, found it entertaining, but it just didn't grip me. Veronica Roth can write fight and other action scenes very well, but the factions didn't feel believable to me and the world building was very sparse. We never find out anything about how the world ended up in its current state at all. I didn't care that much for any of the characters, except maybe Tris' mother, so didn't much care what happened to them. I thought the story dragged for way too long before getting to the real conflict--about 400 pages of the book was concerned with Tris' initiation into her chosen faction and the last 80 pages or so dealt with the actual point of the title of the book. And the romance just felt contrived to me.

I suppose it sounds like I hated this book, since I have issues with almost every aspect of it, but, like I said, I did find it entertaining. It's entirely possible that dystopias just really aren't my thing, because I didn't find The Hunger Games as amazing as most and haven't had much interest in reading the other two books in that trilogy either. I will eventually, because I own them, just as I will eventually read Insurgent because I already own it. I hope that Insurgent is better when I do get to it.

53. Geist (Book of the Order, #1) by Philippa Ballantine

4/5 stars

I will agree with the other reviews I've read and say that the first few chapters of this book were the weakest of the entire book. It isn't that the story moved too slowly--I read a lot of door stoppers and am used to a slow pace in the beginning for the sake of character development and world building. This book moved no slower than many and a bit faster than some. Which is a good thing, since it is just under 300 pages. No, the pace wasn't the problem. The issue was that the voice felt very distant--indifferent even. There just wasn't the emotion to make me care all that much about the characters and what was going on that I felt the situation warranted. That said, the story was interesting enough to keep me reading.

And I'm glad that I did!

At first I rolled my eyes a bit at the trope of another hard, seemingly uncaring female protagonist who would spend the book agonizing over the fact that she actually has feelings. But Sorcha turned out to be different and more real because of it. Yes, she was strong. Yes, she was hard. Yes, she was irritated easily. And, yes, she predictably falls for one of the male protagonists. But falling for him doesn't really change her. She remains the same person she was at the beginning and doesn't beat herself up or whine to herself about finding out she has a heart after all. Because even though she is hard and strong and angry, etc., we see inside her and know she has softer feelings from the beginning, just from her pain at the state of her marriage. So, for me, she was incredibly believable. And I liked her. A lot.

Raed and Merrick were similarly well developed and I really loved the Rossin--both its violent incarnation and the glimpses of its thoughts. I'm looking forward to the part it will play further in the series.

I also loved the storyline. The geists and the magic system were a nice change from the norm in the fantasy genre that I find really interesting. I only wish more attention was paid to the world building. It felt a bit sparse. But it was a thoroughly enjoyable book and I will be reading the others very soon. :)

54. One Foot in the Grave (Night Huntress, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

5/5 stars

I loved this book. I started it Friday evening and the only reason I finished it Saturday morning is because I had no choice but to fall asleep last night after 1 AM because I was sick (spent too much time side in the extreme heat the day before without enough to drink and was dehydrated to the point of feeling hung over and exhausted).

Anyway, I loved this book more than the first one. I still can't believe it took me so long to get around to reading this series, but I'm making up for lost time now. :) I love Bones, I love Cat, I love Tate, Juan, Cooper, Dave, Ian, everyone. Their interactions are masterfully written and I was sad when I read the last paragraph. Thankfully, I have the rest of the books on my bookshelf. I'm pretty sure I will have them all read by the end of this week.

Chapter 32--whew! *fans self* That's all I have to say about that. ;)

55. At Grave's End (Night Huntress, #3) by Jeaniene Frost

4/5 stars

I couldn't put this down. I read it straight through on Saturday and stayed up too late because I had to finish it. :) I was drawn into the nonstop action immediately. I loved it! As always, I love Bones (who doesn't? lol) and Cat together. (view spoiler) I hate Tate after this and wanted to smack Cat around for letting him get away with his behavior all the time, but I got a huge kick out of Justina. And I can't wait to see more of Vlad.

On to the next book! :)

message 13: by ~Thena~ (new)

~Thena~ (athena-nadine) | 184 comments 56. Destined for an Early Grave (Night Huntress, #4) by Jeaniene Frost

4/5 stars

57. First Drop of Crimson (Night Huntress World, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

5/5 stars

I have loved Bones since Halfway to the Grave and I still love him. But now...*sigh*...now I think Spade is my favorite.

58. Eternal Kiss of Darkness (Night Huntress World, #2) by Jeaniene Frost

I loved getting to know Mencheres better and loved Kira. But Spade is still my favorite. ;)

59. This Side of the Grave (Night Huntress, #5) by Jeaniene Frost

4/5 stars

60. One Grave at a Time (Night Huntress, #6) by Jeaniene Frost

3/5 stars

This is my least favorite of all the books in this series, though I did still like it. Cat just wasn't as snarky and feisty as usual and Bones felt a bit flat instead of his normal, sexy, hysterical self. I hope we get to find out more about Don and Madigan in the next book.

61. Pandora's Key (The Key Trilogy, #1) by Nancy Richardson Fischer

3/5 stars

I was given a copy of this book to review through Shut Up & Read's Read It and Reap event. I was very excited about this book because I love anything to do with Greek mythology and the description sounded like it wukd be something I would love.

I liked it, and think it had a decent premise, but it just didn't grab me in the way I had hoped it would. First, this book was a lot shorter than I expected it would be with 48 chapters. I finished it in about two hours. I think that short length caused issues in the story. For me, there wasn't enough world building and character development to allow me to truly immerse myself in it. The characters felt one dimensional to me. Perhaps this is due to my tendency to read much longer books that go into much more depth, but I just didn't care all that much about what happened to anyone.

The story itself was a bit predictable, but still fun. Unfortunately, I felt that everything happened too quicky and wrapped up too neatly to be believable to me. But for all that, I did find it entertaining and will probably read the subsequent books in the trilogy to see what happens.

62. The Scent of Shadows (Signs of the Zodiac, #1) by Vicki Pettersson

3/5 stars

While I like this book, I just couldn't get past the constant references to superheroes. (view spoiler) Otherwise, the writing was good and I will probably read the others in the series eventually.

63. Rapture (Fallen, #4) by Lauren Kate

3/5 stars

This last book was highly predictable and I didn't feel any of the tension I was so obviously supposed to feel, though the end gave decent closure to the series.

64. Once Burned (Night Prince, #1) by Jeaniene Frost

4/5 stars

I only have one real gripe with this book. Vlad wasn't nearly as witty and funny as he was in the Night Huntress books. I understand the circumstances were different, and this was told from Leila's point of view so we were seeing her perceptions of him, but still. I felt like the best part of Vlad was lost to us here. I also wish that Once Burned would have been told from his point of view instead of Leila's, or from a third person point of view like First Drop of Crimson, so we could have seen inside his head. OK, so I have two gripes and not one.

However, I did like this book. I liked Leila a whole lot and, as always with books set in this world, I loved how plot driven the story was. I just hope we get to see more of the Vlad we all know and love in the next book.

message 14: by Sheri, Bookworm (new)

I'm going to be closing 2012 goal threads unless I hear otherwise. Let me know if you want this one to stay open please! You can open a new one for your 2013 goals if you'd like :)