Q&A with Susane Colasanti discussion

Something Like Fate

Comments Showing 1-17 of 17 (17 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee I really loved this book because it is so well written. I was just curious 1) how you came up with the idea and 2) on a more technical note, I always struggle with conversation/dialogue in my writing (he said such and such then she said this...etc), how do you write in such a way that it flows and doesn't sound choppy?

message 2: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) ♥ this book!
How do you wrie without people confusing all the HE'S and SHE'S?
(oh,and r u really interested in astronomy?)

message 3: by Melissa (new)

Melissa (guenther519) | 12 comments this was the first book i read by you, and i was instantly hooked. I finished it the same day and went out to get more of your books. All i have to read is so much closer and keep holding on! :)

message 4: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) This is the first book i read by you. I just finished When It Happens. (soo good)

message 5: by Susane (new)

Susane Colasanti (susanecolasanti) | 57 comments Mod
Melissa wrote: "I really loved this book because it is so well written. I was just curious 1) how you came up with the idea and 2) on a more technical note, I always struggle with conversation/dialogue in my writi..."

Books with lots of conflict and relationship drama tend to be my faves. That's why I wanted to write a book with lots of conflict and drama. The whole falling for your BFF's BF thing is drama to the max. I also wanted to write a girl character who embodied everything I wish I'd had and been as a teen. Lani is that girl to me.

I also love books with lots of dialogue. Books with long descriptions and pages of backstory don't appeal to me. So my books are all dialogue heavy. I find that spying on other people's conversations helps me to write realistic dialogue. When I was a teacher, I spied on my students' convos all the time. Which, you know, was just part of the job. When I'm writing longer dialogue strings, I always read them out loud to make sure they sound legit. Reading aloud really helps me identify anything that sounds off.

message 6: by Susane (new)

Ansareen wrote: "♥ this book!
How do you wrie without people confusing all the HE'S and SHE'S?
(oh,and r u really interested in astronomy?)"

Astronomy has been a huge passion of mine since I was a little girl. That's probably why The Little Prince is my all-time favorite book. I'm also into astrology, but not as much as astronomy. I do believe in fate and the energy of the universe.

Sorry, I'm not sure what you mean by the he/she confusion. Could you please clarify your question?

message 7: by Susane (new)

Melissa wrote: "this was the first book i read by you, and i was instantly hooked. I finished it the same day and went out to get more of your books. All i have to read is so much closer and keep holding on! :)"

Sweet! Thanks for being such a dedicated reader <3

message 8: by Susane (new)

Ansareen wrote: "This is the first book i read by you. I just finished When It Happens. (soo good)"

I'm happy you're enjoying the books :)

message 9: by Ansareen (new)

Ansareen (ahass35) By the He/ She question I mean, like whenever I write a short story and I don't use "I" but use He/she people who read my story get confused on which character I'm talking about. But when I read your books that never happens, so how do you do that? Does that make sense?( sorry if it doesn't)

message 10: by Melissa (new)

Melissa Lee Thank you!

message 11: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 20 comments I would like to read your book melissa

message 12: by Lissy (new)

Lissy | 4 comments Hi, Susane! Something Like Fate and When It Happens are my favorite books by you, and maybe my most favorite books of all time. I was wondering how you came up with Blake, Jason, Bianca, Connor, and Erin. Are they based off of real people? Does the story have any truth to it?

message 13: by Susane (new)

Ansareen wrote: "By the He/ She question I mean, like whenever I write a short story and I don't use "I" but use He/she people who read my story get confused on which character I'm talking about. But when I read yo..."

As long as your characters are strong, distinguishable people with their own unique mannerisms and speaking patterns, readers should be able to tell them apart.

message 14: by Susane (new)

Lissy wrote: "Hi, Susane! Something Like Fate and When It Happens are my favorite books by you, and maybe my most favorite books of all time. I was wondering how you came up with Blake, Jason, Bianca, Connor, an..."

Something Like Fate originated straight from my imagination. The only character who was inspired by a real person is Connor. The boy who inspired Connor is a Canadian boy...named Connor ;)

message 15: by Christine (new)

Christine Hatfield  (christinesbookshelves) | 20 comments I think I would like that book

message 16: by Madi (new)

Madi Harvey | 1 comments I really loved this book! I could not put it down! :) It was amazing! You are so talented and should be more recognized. I am trying to a book for school and just do not know where to start. It's about a series on tv that ended and i am doing a book to wrap it all up for fun. :)

message 17: by justcallmetatii (new)

justcallmetatii | 1 comments Something About Fate is one of your book I love and i can read, over and over never get try of read that book. My question is how do you come up with your charcher and the moral of the book. Why did you want to write a book about befriend and boyfriend and cheat, did this happen to you.