Its OLD School – Ancient Style! discussion

WELCOME!

Comments Showing 1-45 of 45 (45 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by J. (new)

J. Else (jelse) | 54 comments Mod
Hello all who have stumbled across my group! Come on in and share the history you love!

message 2: by Margaret (new)

Margaret (margyw) Hello. I stumbled across this group whilst looking for people who share my passion for ancient history.

message 3: by J. (new)

Welcome! I hope you will share some of your favorites with us!

message 4: by Francoise (new)

Francoise McKay (fannyfae) | 1 comments Em hotep!

I have been on Foodreads for a while, I stumbled across this group. My interest in Ancient Egypt in particular has been going on since I was a child. I have studied a great deal of ancient Egypt, in particular the religion and medicine, etc.

I also love Egyptian themed fiction and am a huge fan of Pauline Gedge's work since the release of her first novel, "Child of the Morning" back when I was a freshman in college. I look forward to hearing what things others recommend.

message 5: by Roshell (new)

Roshell | 12 comments Hi fellow memebers!

Especially a big hello to those who love ancient egypt! I have a lot of books in my library on this topic as (like Francoise) I have been a fan since childhood. I must have been an ancient egyptian in a past life :)

Thanks again Jessie for creating this group!

message 6: by J. (new)

You're so nice, Roshell, thank you for joining!

Welcome to Francoise! Add to the bookshelf and start discussions as you feel!

message 7: by Ashley (new)

Ashley V (ashleeeyyy88) Hi there everybody! My name's Ashley. I'm 22 years old, from Windsor, Ontario in southern Canada. I am working towards a degree in business administration, then hopefully continuing on to corporate law. I am currently employed full-time by Xerox Canada.

I've always considered myself to be a bookworm, as well as a history buff, at least since high school. It's just terribly interesting! I look forward to some great discussions with you all!

I have a real soft spot for ancient history, particularly of the Greco-Roman nature. If anybody has any recommendations, please send them my way! :)

message 8: by Reeda (new)

Reeda Booke (book-wizard) Hey all! My name is Rita and I am new here. I am mostly a Shelfari member but alot of them are also here so I decided to join too.
I love ancient history, in particular, ancient Egyptian and Roman history. My favorite Egyptian novels are by Pauline Gedge and there are too many who write about ancient rome to name a favorite!
Looking forward to making new friends and hearing about new authors or books I don't know about.
I am a married mother of one living in Ohio and have been a voracious reader all my life.

message 9: by J. (new)

Hello newbies! So excited that you found this site!

I have always had an interest in history. I'm not sure when my love of ancient history developed, but its been strong!!! I enjoy writing my own egyptian stories and reading whatever I can (fiction or non) about ancient history. So I decided to see if I could find some other readers out there! My local friends are really not of the "history is cool" train of thought!

I guess I have not devulged a lot of myself. I'm a mom of 2 kids in elementary school. I live in Minnesota, US. You can catch more about me at: www.teasippinnerdymom.com.

Welcome members! I am SO excited you found us!!!

message 10: by Jane (new)

Jane Susann MacCarter | 2 comments Hello all... I hope all of you in this discussion group are still active in 2013... and soon will be posting news about books concerning ancient history... because I love it even as the rest of you do. Although I adore ancient Egypt (and was THRILLED beyond WORDS to actually visit the tomb of Seti I on a trip to Egypt in 1990), my area of passion is actually the Fertile Crescent of Mesopotamia... specifically between 10,000-4,000 BCE... at the (once Eden-like) Jarmo site... one of the first places where humankind changed from the wild-and-free hunter/gatherer life to that of settled agriculture. I recently published an ebook romance novel about Jarmo entitled DREAMER. The Jarmo section of the book (which comprises about two-thirds of the chapters) is embedded into a 21st Century hospital drama... yes, I know... sounds kind of confusing, but not really, not once you get into it. It's a story within a story, a romance within a romance. I currently live in a place called Paradise Valley along the Rocky Mountain Front.... and it lives up to its name perfectly.

message 11: by J. (new)

Happy to have you! Its still here. We're not the most active, but I love to have people share likes/dislikes, add threads, add to our bookshelf. All that good stuff. Please feel free to share. I would love to check out your book sometime. Do you have a website for your book? Did you self-ebook publish? Do share!

I'm jealous you've been to Egypt. Right now its my pipe dream. Disney was the first. Now that that's checked off, my next dream is Egypt.

message 12: by Jane (new)

Jane Susann MacCarter | 2 comments I'd love for you to check out DREAMER anytime... No, I don't have a website for the book, and yes, it is self-published... but it can easily be found on Amazon by typing in DREAMER by Jane Susann MacCarter (make sure to put two Ns in Susann!)... and it should come right up. It's a fairly quick read... just 50,000 words (at the high end of 'novella' and the low end of 'novel')... and only $0.99 to order. Here's hoping you'll check it out. All the best... and I'll check back in again soon! Thank you for your kind words...

message 13: by Michael (new)

Michael Gallagher | 6 comments Hi everyone!
My name is Michael. I’m a learning disabilities teacher in inner London and also an author with a special interest in late 18th dynasty Egypt (Amunhotep III and on). I love nothing better than reading a well-crafted story, especially one with an historical backdrop. I’m a great fan of Steven Saylor’s Roma Sub Rosa books featuring Gordianus, the finder, though Robert Harris’s novels detailing the rise and fall of Cicero are good too.
I’m looking forward to meeting you all.

message 14: by J. (new)

Hello, Michael! I am becoming a big fan of Saylor's works. I have just started diving into his books. Excellent research!!!!

Share your authoring adventures! I'm currently having a book I wrote professionally edited. I will then by self-publishing it. Its revolves in the 18th dynasty. Of course, fans of that period of time can either be the biggest fans or harshest critics (and rightfully so!).

I hope you will share your works and books you love to read. Everything in this group open for you to start threads and add to the bookshelf. Please share recommendations!

message 15: by Michael (new)

Michael Gallagher | 6 comments Jessi wrote: "Hello, Michael! I am becoming a big fan of Saylor's works. I have just started diving into his books. Excellent research!!!!

Share your authoring adventures! I'm currently having a book I wr..."

Thanks Jessi for the lovely welcome. Yes, Steven Saylor's research blows me away too.
As regards my work, so far I've just published this
The Bridge of Dead Things by Michael Gallagher
which is set in Victorian London, so probably of no interest to this group. The back-story of the sequel, however, which I'm currently editing, covers the late 18th dynasty, with Meritaten as narrator. I only recently learned about KV55 being identified as "probably" Akhenaten, which really threw me. Were you aware of this? I've written about trying to understand the DNA evidence in my blog here at Goodreads, if you care to take a look.
I would love to know what you're writing about and what kind of spin you're putting on it. If you need any help or advice with editing, formatting or publishing, please ask. I'll be only too happy to help.

message 16: by J. (new)

Here are a couple links about the DNA evidence. I did read up on it for my book as well (extremely exciting stuff!!!):

https://www.msu.edu/user/p/a/palmit10...

A little more detailed and confusing at the same time:

http://www.tutankhamunexhibition.com/...

message 17: by Ismael (new)

Ismael Diego-Valeriano | 3 comments Hello Everybody!
My name is Ismael and I love to read anything dealing with ancient civilizations. If I had to pick a time period that I would consider my favorite, it would probably be ancient Rome from Augustus onwards. I read on here that some of you guys share a similar interest in this time period and I would definitely like to discuss which books you enjoyed the most. I just recently finished 'I, Claudius' by Robert Graves and it quickly became one of my favorite reads. I definitely suggest any person interested in the Julio-Claudians to pick it up. I am looking forward to hear what you guys are interested in and hopefully get some good reads in the process.

message 18: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Mayo | 14 comments Ismael wrote: "Hello Everybody!
My name is Ismael and I love to read anything dealing with ancient civilizations. If I had to pick a time period that I would consider my favorite, it would probably be ancient Ro..."

Hi Ismail,
I'm Catherine Mayo and I'm new to the group too. I also love Robert Graves's Claudius books - Claudius the God is as good as I Claudius. Lindsey Davis's Falco series (The Silver Pigs is the first one) are amazing, and set very slightly later, in the time of the emperor Vespasian.

Robert Graves wrote a number of other really good historical novels - Count Belisarius is set somewhat later, around the collapse of the Western Roman Empire, but you may still enjoy it.

message 19: by Ismael (new)

Ismael Diego-Valeriano | 3 comments Hello Catherine!...thanks a lot for the tip on Lindsey Davis' series. Have never found much reading material on dynasties other than the Julio-Claudians. Can't wait to read the series.

message 20: by J. (new)

Hello to Ismael & Catherine. I wanted to recommend to you Steven Saylor's "Roma." I loved it. He writes about the evolution of Rome. I love how in one chapter the reality of what happened is told. Then a few chapters later, that reality you see has morphed into myth. Its remarkable! Its told through one family's bloodline. Highly, highly recommend. I'm reading the second book of that family "Empire" right now. The amount of historical life woven into his stories really makes you feel like you're standing right next to the characters. LOVED it! He has a Sub Rosa series that I have not started yet. I have book 2 that i found at a used book seller, so I'm looking for book 1.

message 21: by Ismael (new)

Ismael Diego-Valeriano | 3 comments Hi Jessi!
Thanks a lot for the tip!...I will definitely check out that book. Sounds quite interesting.

message 22: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Mayo | 14 comments Hi Jessi,
Thanks very much - I'll see if I can track them down.

message 23: by May (new)

May Abbey (MayNicoleAbbey) | 1 comments I first learned to love ancient history through my humanities teacher. Greece, Rome, Egypt... they fascinate me. I don't consider myself scholarly, just eager to learn and absorb info about their lifestyles, mindsets, and culture. It is super fun! I am eager to hear fall in love with other ancient cultures!

message 24: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Mayo | 14 comments Jessi wrote: "Hello to Ismael & Catherine. I wanted to recommend to you Steven Saylor's "Roma." I loved it. He writes about the evolution of Rome. I love how in one chapter the reality of what happened is to..."

Hi Jessi,
I have managed to track down a crime thriller by Steven Saylor called Roman Blood. It's a really good read within that genre, though the role of Gordianus, as the "detective" figure, is a little flawed at the end, in my opinion.
Saylor's research is amazing - he manages to portray Rome at the end of the Republic at least as vividly as Lindsey Davis does for the early Empire in her Falco series.

message 25: by J. (new)

Catherine wrote: "Jessi wrote: "Hello to Ismael & Catherine. I wanted to recommend to you Steven Saylor's "Roma." I loved it. He writes about the evolution of Rome. I love how in one chapter the reality of what ..."

Thanks for your insight. I would agree that Saylor's characters are never as dynamic as the world he brings to life. I have not read Roman Blood as I have not found it in paperback form. Its on my Christmas list though! I did just start "Seven Wonders" in which the character Gordianus is featured as traveling the world with his Greek tutor. Its marked as Sub Rosa 0.5, so I guess I have inadvertantly but happily started the Sub Rosa series after all! Now just need to get #1.

message 26: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Johnson | 3 comments Jessi wrote: "Hello all who have stumbled across my group! Come on in and share the history you love!

Hello Jessi,

I am looking forward to being a member of this group. I love Ancient Egypt, and also the time of the Roman Empire and Biblical History. I have actually written a Novel set in Ancient Egypt, and also a book about Salome, although that one is not written as a historical novel, but rather in the style of 'The Daughter of Time' by Josephine Tay.

Marcus Johnson is the name I use as a writer (a bad idea on hindsight), my real name is Hasko Starrenburg

Cheers

message 27: by J. (new)

As I've been seeing a number of posts about groupies who have their own works of fiction, please see our new discussion to promote your work! I would love to explore the creations of your mind!

There is also a discussion of this sorts on the Perks of Being a Book Addict. Check it out and post there are well!

message 28: by Marcus (new)

Marcus Johnson | 3 comments Thank you for that. I've read numerous books about Ancient Egypt, including many novels, but none of them was exactly how I imagined it must have been, then and there. Therefore, I wrote my own, and it is called 'Apet-hesit; Scarred for life".
Unfortunately the book is not available on kindle (yet). It is only available in hard cover, and it is somewhat expensive.

Agatha Christie wrote a novel set in Ancient Egypt, called 'Death comes at the end', but I found that one a little disappointing. On the other hand, I liked Chris Ebog's book 'The eyes of Pharaoh' very much.

message 29: by Debra Giuffrida (new)

Debra Giuffrida | 3 comments Jane wrote: "I'd love for you to check out DREAMER anytime... No, I don't have a website for the book, and yes, it is self-published... but it can easily be found on Amazon by typing in DREAMER by Jane Susann ..."

Went over to Amazon and checked your book out...read the first chapter and have to say I am enjoying your writing and the story already has me hooked! But the ebook is now 3.99 but no matter I will order it and read it and review it for you! Thanks for the invite!

Oh...on another note, I am a lover of Ancient Egypt and have been since I was 8 years old and an Aunt introduced me to Nefertiti and Akhenaten and Tutankhamon and Ankhesenpaaten. She gave me this lovely copy of the Nefertiti bust, taught me to pronounce the names correctly and off I was running in a wonderful world of Ancient Egypt, 18th dynasty style!

But that was back in the 1960's, since then I have read just about everything published and hunger for more so I decided to write what I feel is the true story of the time period now known as Amarna.

When I finish I will let all you download a free copy! Should be soon...in the editing stages now.

message 30: by Debra Giuffrida (new)

Debra Giuffrida | 3 comments Jessi wrote: "Here are a couple links about the DNA evidence. I did read up on it for my book as well (extremely exciting stuff!!!):

https://www.msu.edu/user/p/a/palmit10......"

Jessi, as that period is my favorite I would love to read your book...if you need a Beta reader I can help, just let me know.

message 31: by J. (new)

Debra wrote: "Jane wrote: "I'd love for you to check out DREAMER anytime... No, I don't have a website for the book, and yes, it is self-published... but it can easily be found on Amazon by typing in DREAMER by..."

That sounds fantastic. Extremely excited!

message 32: by Alexander (new)

Alexander Kennedy | 2 comments Hi,

I'm Alexander. I'm a big fan of ancient Egypt. For fiction books Wilbur Smith and PC Doherty are my two favorite authors. If you are a fan of ancient Egyptian religion and aren't afraid of some pretty dense reading, check out some of the books I've read on ancient symbolism/spirituality. J, I saw that you had marked Barry Kemp's book The City of Akhenaten and Nefertiti. I actually have written a historical fiction book that I'll post in "Your works" thread and its on the lead up to the Amarna period. Kemp's book was one of the key pieces of research for me. It's a great book if you want to learn about the layout of the city, architecture, and daily living. I know one of Kemp's students and he attests that Kemp is the Amarna expert.

Alexander

message 33: by Amira (new)

Amira Awaad | 6 comments Greetings from the land of the Pharaohs!

It's pretty awesome for me to come across a group like this. I'm an Egyptian woman who likes to think that she has a 7000 year old soul (often times I write that way, too).

It's a pleasure to meet everyone :)

message 34: by Damian (new)

Damian | 5 comments Love everything about Egypt! I like to follow a lot of the archaeological news about new finds from the ancient world. Also, I enjoy a good fantasy book about "what could have been" and maybe was!

message 35: by Catherine (new)

Catherine Mayo | 14 comments Hi Amira,
I have just bought your novella, and I'm looking forward to reading it!Amira Awaad

message 36: by Amira (new)

Amira Awaad | 6 comments Hi Catherine,
Thank you for your support! I truly hope you enjoy it.

message 37: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Carpinello (cherylcarpinello) | 4 comments Hi! Didn't realize this group was here. Visited Egypt in 2008 and loved it! Currently I'm reading 'The Nile: A Journey downriver though Egypt's past & present' by Toby Wilkinson.

My newest YA story is 'Sons of the Sphinx'. It is a time travel adventure into ancient Egypt with Tut. I also have another one 'Tutankhamen Speaks' where Tut speaks from the tomb and tells about his life. Hope you have time to visit my Goodreads page!

message 38: by Danielle (new)

Danielle (daniellemichelle) | 1 comments Hi, I came out to Goodreads today to look for book recommendations for my precocious 6 year old reader.

Don't laugh but I give credit to Katy Perry and the time traveling cartoon movie that came out last year Peabody and Sherman, but she is very into Ancient Egypt and I have been fostering it as much as possible!

We have read three times a kids book on the subject, have crafted our own Ancient Egyptian Senet game board and played against each other the last couple of nights.

I will post a new thread looking for advice on other titles or activities that might keep up her interest.

message 39: by J. (new)

Danielle wrote: "Hi, I came out to Goodreads today to look for book recommendations for my precocious 6 year old reader.

Don't laugh but I give credit to Katy Perry and the time traveling cartoon movie that came o..."

Hi, Danielle! I love hearing about excited kid readers. My kids also enjoy Peabody & Sherman, however, I'm not a fan of the "rhymes with butt" line - though my kids think its hilarious. Of course, now they can't look at some of my books without laughing. Goofballs!

I have a 12 year old and 9 year old. I'm happy to share book recommendations anytime. I have a few on my website www.teasippinnerdymom.com - none focused on ancient Egypt though... I wish my kids were into history! Lucky!

Best! I look forward to more posts from you!

J. Lynn

message 40: by Cheryl (new)

Cheryl Carpinello (cherylcarpinello) | 4 comments Danielle wrote: "Hi, I came out to Goodreads today to look for book recommendations for my precocious 6 year old reader.

Don't laugh but I give credit to Katy Perry and the time traveling cartoon movie that came o..."

Hi Danielle. We have a few books on ancient Egypt and on historical settings on our website: The Quest Books: http://www.adventurequestbooks.com

If you sign up for our monthly newsletter, you may pick 1 of any of our books for free.

Cheryl

message 41: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Maguire | 5 comments Hello, I'm Sarah and I love reading and writing about ancient history and mythology. Some of my favourite authors of ancient historical fiction are Robert Graves, Mary Renault and Tom Holt Looking forward to discussing all things ancient world-related here!

message 42: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Maguire | 5 comments Maher wrote: "SarahLMaguire wrote: "Hello, I'm Sarah and I love reading and writing about ancient history and mythology. Some of my favourite authors of ancient historical fiction are [author:Robert Graves|30129..."

Thanks for the welcome, Maher :) I'm sure I'll enjoy it here. Hope you enjoy the book, if you do get a chance to read.

message 43: by J. (new)

SarahLMaguire wrote: "Hello, I'm Sarah and I love reading and writing about ancient history and mythology. Some of my favourite authors of ancient historical fiction are Robert Graves, [author:Mary Rena..."

Hi, Sarah! Thanks for joining! I'm glad you're excited about conversing about the ancient world. I read about your writing in the "Your Works" section. Look forward to hearing more from you!!

message 44: by Sarah (new)

Sarah Maguire | 5 comments J. wrote: "SarahLMaguire wrote: "Hello, I'm Sarah and I love reading and writing about ancient history and mythology. Some of my favourite authors of ancient historical fiction are [author:Robert Graves|30129..."

Thanks J! Glad to be here. :)

message 45: by Amira (new)

Amira Awaad | 6 comments Francoise wrote: "Em hotep!

I have been on Foodreads for a while, I stumbled across this group. My interest in Ancient Egypt in particular has been going on since I was a child. I have studied a great deal of anci..."

I just came back from visiting the acropolis at the Saqaarah Pyramid in Egypt. I think it's a place you'll connect with.

Give this a try: http://www.amazon.com/The-Ankhs-Red-M...