The Stone Diaries The Stone Diaries discussion

Question about this book...

Comments Showing 1-7 of 7 (7 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Melanie Does anyone know who the photographs of the people in this book are? I was under the assumption that the story is fiction, but there are different photos of the characters in the book. Would anyone happen to know the answer?

Chelsea Melanie wrote: "Does anyone know who the photographs of the people in this book are? I was under the assumption that the story is fiction, but there are different photos of the characters in the book. Would anyo..."

From what I remember from the author's note, some of the photos are Shields' children and some are random photos she found in the library

Melanie Chelsea wrote: "Melanie wrote: "Does anyone know who the photographs of the people in this book are? I was under the assumption that the story is fiction, but there are different photos of the characters in the b..."

Thanks, Chelsea!

Carol Smith I read the Stone Diaries a number of years ago and at the time I remember wondering about the pictures also. I really enjoyed the book though. I love books that pass over a number of years.

Cheryle This book was the April choice of the book club I attend monthly. I had an older copy of the book and was the only one with the pictures included. The book club kit books did not include any pictures, so I was the only one who had questioned the pictures. When I brought it up to the other members they were as intriqued as I was. We all thought the same thing that if this was fiction why were there real photos included. An unusual touch. It was a good book about not much. An ordinary life of a woman.

Morgan Nyberg I don't remember the pictures. But the "novel" is actually nonfiction masquerading (unsuccessfully in my opinion) as fiction. A life simply is not structured properly to succeed as fiction - I didn't finish the book, but maybe that's because it appeals more to women. I started it because it won both America's Pulitzer Prize and Canada's Governor General's Award - she had dual citizenship. I was very disappointed. I never criticize the work of fellow Canadian writers, but seeing that Shields passed away a few years ago, I see no harm in posting this single paragraph in this small discussion thread.

Missy I loved that she used the photos--- wondered about them too at first, but what a great idea. The protagonist feels so lost throughout the book; I thought they provided a kind of anchor to reality. Using that extra dimension was another device Shields used to connect this book about "everyday" people to the reader.