UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Curious Incident of the dog in the night time - Mark Haddon

Comments Showing 1-47 of 47 (47 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments http://www.amazon.co.uk/The-Curious-I...

Having lost my book selector at the last minute it gives me the chance to choose a book (abuse of power).

This is a thought provoking book .....

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I love this book.

Great choice Simon.

message 3: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments been on my wishlist for a while :) might give in a get it!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Do it Elle. I am about to take my copy out for a pint so I can remind myself about it then I will come over all intellectual on the discussion thread later (not!).

message 5: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments i have a few books i have left to read then ill get it :) (a few books in my tbr collection, not all together *ignores that pile*)

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments I've got a DTB copy here. I don't think I need to re-read again though.

I've read it probably three or four times.

message 7: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments my bank account hates me but i just got it!

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments You won't regret it.

Let me know when you start it, okay? I'm jealous that you get to read it for the first time.

message 9: by Elle (last edited Jun 01, 2012 02:14PM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I definitely will. I have a few books ahead of it to finish two of my favourite series', but I probably will read one a night until I'm done with those.

Geoff (G. Robbins) (merda constat variat altitudo) (snibborg) | 9052 comments Brilliant choice Simon. Please abuse your power more often if this is the quality of books suggested.

message 11: by Maureen (Mews) (new)

Maureen (Mews) (Mews) | 719 comments Everytime I see this book (or any book with Dog in the title) I always avoid it for fear the dog will die :(

Is there even a dog in this book?

message 12: by Simon (Highwayman) (last edited Jun 02, 2012 01:25AM) (new)

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Well, there is a dog in it but it is already dead before the book starts. Mostly it is about a boy .....

I hate books with any animal cruelty but this is not that sort of book at all. Honest.

message 13: by Nigel (new)

Nigel Bird (nigelbird) | 195 comments A very good pick.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Maureen, you'd really enjoy it.

Try the sample. Please?

message 15: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments I have wanted to read this for some time but for some reason have never bought it!
Have just one-clicked so will definitely start it soon. Reading Darrens new one now but it'll be next I think :-)

message 16: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Just bought it and can't wait to start,unfortunately I am still clearing up the fallout from my break.

message 17: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Maureen (Mews) wrote: "Everytime I see this book (or any book with Dog in the title) I always avoid it for fear the dog will die :(

Is there even a dog in this book?"

I always fear the same!

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Oh I love this. I actually know a boy a little like this. Friend of the family.

message 19: by Maureen (Mews) (new)

Maureen (Mews) (Mews) | 719 comments I was doing a bit of tidying earlier and came across a bag full of books my mums friend dropped off last year. We hadn't paid it much attention because we both have Kindle's now, but there is a paperback copy of this book in the bag!

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments I know someone with aspergers. Very similar. He takes everything literally. He left his windows open through the winter because his dad went round and told him to open them during the summer.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Weyhey!

Read it!

message 22: by Weenie (new)

Weenie I found the book funny but also sad.

message 23: by Katie (new)

Katie Stewart (katiewstewart) | 853 comments It's a great book. My teenage son wouldn't read. I brought him this from the library, and told him that the main character liked Maths like him, so he reluctantly agreed to try it. He stayed up for hours reading it and decided that reading wasn't so bad!

Rosemary (grooving with the Picts) (nosemanny) | 9087 comments Read this with my local book group several years ago. It's good!

message 25: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments 15% in and absolutely fascinated,as some of you know my 18yr old nephew has Aspergers.We actually suspected the condition when he was asked to 'clap our dog' and he applauded instead.
By coincidence I heard this morning that he had been successful in a job interview for a 1yr work experience in his local hospital.So proud of him.
I am going to buy the paperback version for my sister to read.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Sarah, if you can wait a few weeks, I'd love to send you my copy for your sister.

Won't be til the end of July, I'm afraid, unless I can send it out with someone leaving sooner.

message 27: by Anne (new)

Anne (anniethorny) | 135 comments Read and enjoyed this when it was our Book Club's choice and look forward to a re-read - v good choice.

message 28: by Philip (sarah) (last edited Jun 03, 2012 02:40AM) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments Thank you so much Patti,how kind you are.
I finished the book,couldn't put it down.
Thank you so much for making this the group read.My family and I consciously decided to avoid books written by or about people with the Asperger's as we didn't want to define Daryn by his condition,choosing rather to encourage his interests while supporting him develop coping strategies to enable him to deal with what he perceived as sensory overload.He managed to complete mainstream education and is currently attending college,he got some qualifications last year and has sat more this year and as I said earlier has work experience lined up from Sept for a further year,he will earn a wage for this which will make him even more self sufficient.
I loved the extra insight the book gave me into how complex the individuals thought processes were and just how confusing simple life experiences could be.
I am looking forward to following the discussion.

message 29: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Has anyone read A Spot of Bother by this author? I absolutely loved that book too.

message 30: by Ken (new)

Ken Magee | 114 comments My wife got me to read The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time a while ago. I really didn't fancy it, but she 'insisted'. I am so glad she did because it is a great book... it really makes you think.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Ignite wrote: "Has anyone read A Spot of Bother by this author? I absolutely loved that book too."

Wasn't aware of it, Ignite. Thanks for mentioning it! What's it about? The blurb is rubbish and I'm afraid to look at the reviews because of spoilers.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Spot-of-Bot...

message 32: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Elderly chap, thinks he's got a dreaded ailment. It's gentle and humorous but as is the case with Dog, very insightful.

I see it has mixed reviews. Some of them are wrong!
Effectively no blurb at all. He doesn'e deserve sales based on that but as a trad published author it's out of his hands I suppose.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments Thank you Ignite.

I think I'll add it to the pile...

message 34: by Karen (new)

Karen Lowe | 2335 comments I read this last year but while I thought it was ok it didn't add much to our sum of knowledge

message 35: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments Ah, but sum of interest and pleasure? yes.

message 36: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments When this was first released I thought it actually was written by someone with autism but then after reading it I realised it wasn't (cause I'm clever like that). I kinda turned against it a bit cause I felt who was he to say how someone with autism thinks/feels/copes or whatever. But I then had to admit that he has done research in this field and I have no knowledge or experience whatsoever of autism so who am I to judge.

I'm still a bit wary of it in the sense that it is 1 person's opinion of what it would be like to be autistic.

message 37: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments Should I move that to the actual discussions page? Just realised that I'm not in the discussion thread although there kinda is a bit of a discussion in here too.

message 38: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments I would think you're ok as long as you don't put in spoilers?

message 39: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments There's no spoilers in that is there?

message 40: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25063 comments No. :)

message 41: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18540 comments Good :o)

message 42: by Aunty Janet (new)

Aunty Janet (janetauty) | 297 comments I read this book ages ago and loved it. It's one of the few books my daughter would read when she was a teenager... she enjoyed it too.

message 43: by Jamie (new)

Jamie Sinclair | 985 comments Apologies if this has been covered elsewhere in this discussion, it's late and I freely admit I'm not about to read through and check.

The Curious Incident has been turned into a play! It's been adapted for the stage by Simon Stephens and starts on 6th September (check out National Theatre Live for info).

Simon (Highwayman) (highwayman) | 4698 comments Thanks for that Jamie. I will try and find a link later :)

message 45: by Angela (new)

Angela (bubblyfish) | 53 comments I read this book a couple of years ago and found it a great help in understanding Aspergers syndrome. We have a young man with this condition working for us. He cannot do mornings at all and usually gets to work sometime between 3pm and 5pm and can then only work for up to 5 hours.

It works for us as he writes computer code so time keeping is not generally an issue although it would be nicer for him if he was working when others are too. It must get lonely being alone in the office at night!

So many incidents in the book struck a chord with some of our friend's behaviour it was very enlightening.

message 46: by Ruby (last edited Jun 20, 2012 02:34PM) (new)

Ruby Barnes (rubybarnes) | 40 comments I read this a couple of years back, recommended as an example of unreliable narrator. I had mixed feelings along the lines mentioned by Jud. Last year I gave it to my 10 year old to read, she's starting early. Looking forward to the full discussion.

message 47: by Alexandra (new)

Alexandra Sokoloff (alexandrasokoloff) | 4 comments Loved it. Whether I like this about myself or not, I'm a cynical person living in a cynical town (L.A.) in a cynical age. This book let me experience an innocence and a sweetness that is somewhere deep down in all of us, I think. It changed me, a little.