Addicted to YA discussion

The Selection (The Selection, #1)
This topic is about The Selection
Series > The Selection

Comments Showing 1-50 of 127 (127 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3

message 1: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Erika (livingforthebooks) | 5215 comments Mod
For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

message 2: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

What do you think of it? What's your favorite part? Favorite character?

Pranusha | 8 comments I Loved Prince Maxon!!! He Might be a Prince but he is still a guy who gets shy around girls and yearns for company.. My Favorite Part would be the first meeting of America and Maxon!!I TOTALLY LOVED THE BOOK!!!

message 4: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

I thought this book was ok. I didn't really care for Maxon or Aspen but I liked Aspen more than Maxon. I just didn't really enjoy it as much as I thought I would.

Kristina | 121 comments I have heard disappointing reviews for this book which is so disappointing. I will still read it but am on a wait list at my library. The cover and the story attracted me to read the book and hope I do enjoy the book.

message 6: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Same! I thought I would love this book but I didn't really get that into it. I mean it was still good but it wasn't for me. Hopefully you like it more that I did, Kristina!

Tressa (Wishful Endings) | 4 comments I really enjoyed reading this, but it isn't really a page-turner which I think people expect these days. I, however, don't always like page-turners and I liked how the characters and relationships had time to develop in this book. I didn't like certain things about some of the characters, but thought they were realistically portrayed. I also think it was written almost more of as a prequel because it is a shorter read and seems there is just a lot building up and could happen in the future with the political unrest and relationships. I almost think that the first book shouldn't have ended until the new queen was selected and then the second book could have taken off from there, especially if civil war breaks out. Just my thoughts - but still loved it!

Book Sp(l)ot | 1 comments Tressa wrote: "....I also think it was written almost more of as a prequel because it is a shorter read and seems there is just a lot building up and could happen in the future with the political unrest and relationships. I almost think that the first book shouldn't have ended until the new queen was selected ..."

I agree with that, completely! It felt a lot like an introduction to everything. Like, here are the characters, here's the world, here's the unrest that's present, the relationships . . . then it stopped.

While I didn't like America (she just put me off), I did like Marlee and hope we get to see her expanded in the next book(s).

This one wasn't for me - both because of America and the way it concluded (or didn't).

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

So i just started reading it and some how it just remind me of the hunger games.... am i crazy? or does any body else seems to see the same? i mean... the gov selecting kids to entertain there country?? let the games begging? i mean is like a girly version of it of course but her, leaving her home, sacrificing her self to help her fam, wile a boy (that supports her and have a relationship deeper than only friendship) waits for her? also! she is being televised and interviewed and show off seeking support from her country.... like i say i just started it but im a huge fan of the hunger games so is hard for me to not associate it with it!

Shaelan Lockett | 6 comments I really liked this book it was so good it was shocking!!!!!! I love May she is so cute!

message 11: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Natalia wrote: "So i just started reading it and some how it just remind me of the hunger games.... am i crazy? or does any body else seems to see the same? i mean... the gov selecting kids to entertain there coun..."

I thought it was like The Hunger Games too! Glad to know I'm not that crazy yet. I mean even the titles are kind of similar if you think about it because The Hunger Game's title is about the hunger games and The Selection's title is about the selection which is sort of like a hunger games in a really girly way. Plus Aspen is like the Gale of the Selection and they both have nature like names and then Maxon is the Peeta of the Selection even though Peeta is WAY better than Maxon. And even in the beginning America has to work hard for her family and so does Katniss. I'm not really sure if I'm making any sense right now.

Jessica (The Psychotic Nerd) (goldenfurproductions) | 4586 comments This book was okay. I didn't hate it but it's definetley not one of my favorites. The love triangle and girliness of the book irked me and I couldn't understand why The Selection couldn't have ended in that book. And like most people have said, it was pretty much a girly version of The Hunger Games.
But here's something surprising (to me at least)
This book is actually going to be turned into a TV movie
The Selection (2012)

Shobana (frenzyreadr) | 5 comments I liked the book a lot.It was interesting and easy to read.Prince Maxon was nothing like what is usually is expected of royal people.He was charming and polite and perfect gentleman.I loved him!!!
Waiting for the sequel....

Mollie •Rebel Book Scum• (martygee) I felt like so much more could have been done with The Selection. A dystopian monarchy is a rather untouched sub genre of the YA dystopia sub genre (that's a mouthful), but it didn't reach its fullest extent. TBH, the love triangle being continued seems unnecessary. Focusing on the competition and stressing the danger of the attacks on the royal family would make this a lot more believable. It's not that it's *supposed* to be believable--hello fiction!--but you still want to believe that it *could* happen in some alternate universe.
Kudos to the cover art though. Proof that even with eReaders, we still need captivating covers to draw us in. Will read the sequel, and I hope it's another gorgeous cover!

Karla (skinnylady) | 1 comments I liked the book...cant say i loved it because I still feel something was missing. Both male characters had me rooting for each one. Ugh, i hate when that happens because YOUR NEVER happy with who the girl chooses. lol!! I'm hoping book 2 will give me what book one seem to be missing for me.

Faiza I didn't love this book but I didn't have it either, I will read the next one when it comes out I just hope the author put more into it than this on , because so much could have been done with the plot. Anyways, my favourite was prince Maxon. For a prince I assumed he would be a little full of himself but no he was nothing like that, he was actually so sweet and so nice. He was what I assumed Aspen would have been like. Oh and what and amazing cover, hopefully the next one is was stunning as this one.

message 17: by Arin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arin (Maxandfangforever) | 10 comments I seriously thought this was the best book I have read all year I thought it was perfect

✽Laurenj426✽ (purplepandy) | 324 comments It was ok...The book didn't really seem like it had much of an overall plot though and you really didn't get to know America. I couldn't tell what she was thinking and she wasn't making up her mind about a lot of stuff. But I still want to read the second book to see what happens (the end really annoyed me!!!)

message 19: by [deleted user] (new)

Erika wrote: "Natalia wrote: "So i just started reading it and some how it just remind me of the hunger games.... am i crazy? or does any body else seems to see the same? i mean... the gov selecting kids to ente..."

No u r totally right!! also the protection for the lil sister, is just too similar..... i would like to read the second part just cause im curios but im not expecting much from it....

message 20: by Erika, Dream Thief (new) - rated it 2 stars

Natalia wrote: "Erika wrote: "Natalia wrote: "So i just started reading it and some how it just remind me of the hunger games.... am i crazy? or does any body else seems to see the same? i mean... the gov selectin..."

Same! I hope the second one will be better than the first.

Stacia (staciathebookworm) I seriously LOVED this book to bits and pieces! c:
Prince Maxon was sweet and he's probably my favorite character. I was really hoping he'd turn out to NOT be the "proper" prince that he is- maybe more of a rebellious type of prince, who just doesn't want to be royal. But, he was perfect the way he was.
I really liked the part when America took care of her three maids when the "raid" happened. I'm glad she stuck up for them!

Carrie (cljgdevor) | 1 comments loved loved this book cant wait to read the next addition. Cant wait to see who America ends up with. I have a favorite and hope it is him :).

message 23: by Arin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arin (Maxandfangforever) | 10 comments I VOTE FOR MAXON!

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments So I'm reading this now and have a few thiughts: America really gets on my nerves! Everthing about her is whiny and ungrateful & its soooo annoying!!!! But nonetheless I reallylike the book. Its a really cool and interesting idea for a book though it foes remind me a bit of the hungwr games. The whole rags to riches premise is extremeqky similar. Both amerixa and katniss are poor until they get picked for the hunger games /the selection. Katnissis obviously waay cooler than America but do you know whit I mean?

So sorryfor any spelling mistakes; I'm typing on a kindle and am not so used to it!

Alyssa | 3 comments The Selection is one of my favorite books. I love it. The part I like best is when the "raid" occured. That scene really showed her compassion for people (even lower than herself). My favorite character is of course America.

message 26: by Arin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arin (Maxandfangforever) | 10 comments Honestly the only reason it seems similar to the hunger games is because its a distpian. All distopian stories seem alike.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Arin wrote: "Honestly the only reason it seems similar to the hunger games is because its a distpian. All distopian stories seem alike."
personnaly I think that it's similar in a lot of ways besides that. America and Katniss are both poor and both become rich when they get Selected or picked for THG. And there are interviews, just like in THG, and costumes, and everything just seems really similar. I'm not saying they're alike; after all, one is a competition to kill one another, the other is a competition to marry a prince, but the premise of The Selection is very similar to that of the Hunger Games (just my opinion).

message 28: by Arin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arin (Maxandfangforever) | 10 comments Yeah I get that but there are a lot of books like thg and ts and I believe there are more differences than similarities and throughout the whole book I never stopped and said "this seems like the hunger games" the characters are different and it has a different mood but maybe that's just me. I like both series but I don't think there a lot alike

message 29: by [deleted user] (new)

I have waaaay to many things to say about this book so check out what I said on my blog!
http://thebookfever.wordpress.com/201...

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Megan wrote: "I have waaaay to many things to say about this book so check out what I said on my blog!
http://thebookfever.wordpress.com/201..."

I love your review! great blog btw ;)

message 31: by [deleted user] (new)

♥Annε♥(beauty of books) wrote: "Megan wrote: "I have waaaay to many things to say about this book so check out what I said on my blog!
http://thebookfever.wordpress.com/201..."

I love your review! g..."

Thanks!

Adrianna Heaney-Velu | 7 comments such a great book. can't wait for the next one to come out

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Arin wrote: "Yeah I get that but there are a lot of books like thg and ts and I believe there are more differences than similarities and throughout the whole book I never stopped and said "this seems like the h..."

I totally get what you're saying, however personally I think the book was like The Hunger Games not because of its tone, mood, or even characters, but its outline and premise was slightly alike to that of the Hunger Games. I'm not saying the books are twins (Far from it, In fact), but I thought through it alot and it seems to me the books are a lot like each other in terms of the outline and premise., not because of the so obvious blatant things like tone, mood, characters, etc.

message 34: by Arin (new) - rated it 5 stars

Arin (Maxandfangforever) | 10 comments Yeah I guess but I still dont really think there's that much alikeness

message 35: by [deleted user] (new)

Arin wrote: "Yeah I guess but I still dont really think there's that much alikeness"

I agree. I think many people confuse dystopian novels for that because this particular genre follows similar tones and themes. It's not just similar to The Hunger Games.

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Arin wrote: "Yeah I guess but I still dont really think there's that much alikeness"

:) Matter of personal opinion, I guess.

Kylee I liked it it was one of those where you want to just say wha-why would u do that?!?!
and the ending was too cliffhang-y

Ymarteeny | 24 comments I liked the book (I did not know what to expect since reviews have been extremely mixed). Even though the plot was easy to anticipate - and it kept making me think about the reality show, "The Bachelor", I found it to be an enjoyable and fast read. I also found the political background interesting (US was too far in debt with China, etc.). I look forward to reading "The Elite" to find out if America ends up with Maxon or Aspen. Unlike others, I don't find Aspen to be a complete jerk - he was willing to sacrifice his love for America in order for her to have a better future. We'll see what happens!

Annabel ♥ (cinnamonbliss) | 4398 comments Kylee wrote: "and the ending was too cliffhang-y"

Really? That was one of the parts I liked most about the book. It just made me look forward to the Elite much more. I guess not everyone likes cliff hangers.

Tiffany Noel | 5 comments The Selection was great! It was so cute and I loved Prince Maxon so much! Even though he's a prince he still acts shy around the ladies lol. I really hope America ends up with him. They make such an adorable couple!

And that ending just left me even more eager for The Elite. I just can't wait to get my hands on this book! :D

message 41: by M.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.J. Capulet  (mjcapulet) | 195 comments I absolutely loved "The Selection" It's a 100% dystopian fairy tale with less gore and more romance. Actually, although it is a lot similar with THG's plot cycle, I found The Selection different from THG. I also devoured the romance between Maxon and America. They're the epitome of best friends turned lovers. (I was spazzing like crazy on their first kiss :""> ) And the love story's actually different and well-developed. It wasn't like BAM, I LIKE YOU. MARRY ME. An oh, Aspen's not a jerk. He just plain sucks.

Jamie | 27 comments GUYS IT'S GONNA BE A SHOW ON THE CW OMYGOD HAPPINESS EXPLOSION <3333333333333

message 43: by M.J. (new) - rated it 5 stars

M.J. Capulet  (mjcapulet) | 195 comments Jamie wrote: "GUYS IT'S GONNA BE A SHOW ON THE CW OMYGOD HAPPINESS EXPLOSION <3333333333333"

I JUST HOPE IT GIVES THE BOOK JUSTICE.

message 44: by Sophie (new) - added it

Sophie (warpedline) | 95 comments I was gonna read it... but it has so many negative reviews! I am on Amazon.com as well, and it came up on my recommendation list. So, I added it to Wish List, but when I looked it up, hundreds of people gave it 1 or 2 stars - plus on Amazon it's like $10 and I don't want to waste my money. I'm really indecisive about this... can anyone convince me I should buy it?

Daria (blame-the-nargles) OMFG I FREAKIN LOVED THIS BOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE the cover!!!!
You know how your NOT supposed to judge a book by its cover?? Well, for this book, I did, I thought it was gonna be amazing, and, well, IT WAS!!! I just finished it yesterday!!!!
I LOVE PRINCE MAXON!!!! The reason why I liked him is because, well, he's REALLY dream, and when Aspen broke America's heart, Maxon was there for her the whole time, and I think they make an adorable couple!!! I really hope she becomes the princess!!!!

message 46: by Daria (last edited Jan 13, 2013 12:45PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Daria (blame-the-nargles) Jamie wrote: "GUYS IT'S GONNA BE A SHOW ON THE CW OMYGOD HAPPINESS EXPLOSION <3333333333333"

waaaaait, its gonna be a TV show!?!?!??! COOL!!! I'd rather it be a movie, but whatevs.
What channel is "The CW"?? Like, what does it stand for!?!? I need to check if I have that channel...

Jamie | 27 comments Daria Weasley wrote: "Jamie wrote: "GUYS IT'S GONNA BE A SHOW ON THE CW OMYGOD HAPPINESS EXPLOSION

waaaaait, its gonna be a TV show!?!?!??! COOL!!! I'd rather it be a movie, but whatevs.
What channel is "The CW"?? Lik..."

its like one of the basic channel, channel 5

Nikki Hoehne (nikkirajaramlol) | 685 comments its going to be a show on the cw!? like vampire diaries?? that's weird...

Nikki Hoehne (nikkirajaramlol) | 685 comments When is it going to come out??

Jamie | 27 comments Nikki wrote: "its going to be a show on the cw!? like vampire diaries?? that's weird..."

DOUBLE FUN ACTION WHOOOOO :D

« previous 1 3