Vaginal Fantasy Book Club discussion

Daughter of the Blood (The Black Jewels, #1)
This topic is about Daughter of the Blood
2012 Archives > Jun 2012: World Building in Daughter of the Blood *spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-6 of 6 (6 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Lisa | 68 comments Lets talk about the world building/magic/Jewels in this book.

I was totally fascinated by how well planned and intricately the whole Jewels/caste system is woven into the plot.

I was a little bit confused with how the Jewels/magic was utilised in the world. And traveling back and forth between the 3 realms also confused me a lot - there was no map!

But still, I got a really good sense for the different mood and landscapes of each realm.

Also, loved that each person could carry their personal stash of stuff that they can *call in* at any time. I hadn't seen that idea before. That would be really handy to have!

message 2: by Jes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jes (tiaama) | 110 comments Lisa wrote: "Lets talk about the world building/magic/Jewels in this book.

I was totally fascinated by how well planned and intricately the whole Jewels/caste system is woven into the plot.

I was a little bit..."

Having played a little DnD the jewels thing makes sense to me... basically it slowly takes a charge of magical energy that can be used later as a sort of back-up battery. The magic they do is more like they manipulate natural forces (or the fabric of being!) than spells that you might see in other worlds. I loved that! If you have read onto the second book (which I just finished) the jewels are more completely explained.
The realms: I would have loved a map to refer back to later, but as Bishop described things they seemed pretty straight forward. I understood the realms to be the exact same layout but in three layers. Each layer seemed to be controlled by different people and have altered (from quite cruel to compassionate) traditions and politics.
I wish I could vanish and call back stuff at will... who would need a backpack or purse? But imagine how many things one could loose because they simply forgot they owned it?

Mel (booksandsundry) (booksandsundry) I really wanted a map too, but in hindsight I think that sometimes having a map can take away from us using our imaginations to see what the author is describing. Just like we can rely on the artists interpretation of characters for the cover at times.

I love the world as I see it in my head and even though it's not always pretty, it is vibrant and alive to me.

Ashley (lethia01) | 19 comments I also loved the magical power/ jewel ranking system. By the 3rd book I had a good idea which stones were stronger than others. Plus, being able to use so much of your power and permanently knocking your jewel rank to a lesser stone.
Anne Bishop truly excels at world building. Her other 2 series are also examples of this.

message 5: by Renee (new)

Renee | 2 comments Author Anne Bishop has some excellent resources on her site. This extras page really helped me a few years ago, when I first read the trilogy:
http://www.annebishop.com/extras.html

Just scroll down to The Realms of the Blood.

message 6: by Jes (new) - rated it 4 stars

Jes (tiaama) | 110 comments Renee wrote: "Author Anne Bishop has some excellent resources on her site. This extras page really helped me a few years ago, when I first read the trilogy:
http://www.annebishop.com/extras.html

Just scroll dow..."

I love the maps with their warnings... lol