Black Boy Black Boy discussion

Kinship through literature

Comments Showing 1-2 of 2 (2 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nina (last edited Aug 25, 2016 11:22AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Nina I've loved this book since I first read it as a requirement in high school. After reading several of Wright's books I became very fond of his work and of him as a person (even though I obviously never got to meet the man, but anyone who faces the kind of struggles he faced and makes it in life gets my thumbs up approval). In my last semester at the college I was recently attending I took a history class with a pretty brilliant and awesome professor, and while this professor had my respect when it came to history, it wasn't until I actually saw a biography on Richard Wright on his bookshelf that I immediately felt like this would be one of the professors that I would remember for a very long time. Has anyone ever experienced that kind of kinship through literature with anyone?

message 2: by Cpn (new) - rated it 5 stars

Cpn Yes I have. I felt this way with "My Losing Season" by Pat Conroy. I understand your feeling because I have felt this way and just thought, "Dang, I really get this guy because he went through a lot of the hardships I did." I played a different sport than Conroy in "My Losing Season," but if you like Black Boy, you might just like "My Losing Season" if you play sports.