The Sword and Laser discussion

Tigana
This topic is about Tigana
2012 Reads > TIG: First Impressions *Spoilers*

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 01, 2012 01:40PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments I never thought Tomasso was supposed to be a hero in the book, although he did seem to be the most loyal family member to Sandre.

I actually sided with Alessan with the Erlein issue, as he explained that he was doing so of need and not because he simply wanted to abuse it... a sentiment made clear when Alessan releases him. If anything, Erlein understood Alessan's cause and willingly saved Catriana because he understood.

Rovigo seemed to me like someone that tried to be humble. By saying what he says about his family, even to the point that the family knew his jokes about them, it flt to me like Rovigo and his wife had raised their daughters to be humble, and not brag about their looks or intelligence. Reminded me a bit of how my family is so I kind of related to them on that level.

I had mixed feelings with Dianora, I agree that Brandin was supposed to be bad, but he treated her (relatively) with respect. I could see why she loved him, especially in the room where they talked about him advocating the throne in Ygrath.

Brandin, I felt was not just really a Tyrant... At least not compared to Alberico. Brandin protected his people, gave them a chance to return home after naming himself ruler of the Western Palm. I think not being able to forgive was a point Kay was trying to make, as that was why he was holding a grudge and kept Tigana cursed. He comes to terms with this and begs his son forgiveness as he felt that letting go of the hatred empowering the curse was an insult to his memory.

In the end I felt Valentin was bitter by killing a man that he would have known had released the curse on Tigana out of free will (thanks to the curse Brandin had on him up until the end).

I still enjoyed the book immensely, besides a few other things I did not like.

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments I like Erlein as soon as we meet him on the road - so when he is bent against his will I was outraged. I felt his bitterness and I was angry with Alessan, though I couldn't hate him for it. I could also almost sense Alessan's internal struggle at feeling he had to do something that was so repugnant.
And I love how Kay can make me feel all this stuff - complex emotions all at the same time.

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments As I mentioned on my earlier thread (the one everyone flamed me for starting the discussion so early) I mentioned that I felt none of the characters was one dimensional... Every single character was more than they seemed, and Erlein and Alessan were no exception.

I was not angry with Alessan because I figured it needed to be done. Also Alessan only played music when he was upset, like when Catriana was pressumed to be dead. This made me realize Alessan was truly sorry.

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Darren wrote: "Alessan and Erlein are mirrors of Brandin and Rhun"

One of the many ironies that struck me. One is a prince controlling a wizard(major end of book spoiler)(view spoiler)

message 5: by Nimrod (last edited Jun 01, 2012 07:17PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments @Darren, you are right, I missed that, but in the end, Alessan released Erlein as a concious choice and was forgiven, Brandin on the other hand released Rhun by mistake and was murdered for it.

I chose Nimrod because of my history with my Website NimrodStreet.com which in itself has a history as well. If you want to insult me, I'm afraid calling me Nimrod won't cut it. It's the name I chose to call myself online and I expect you to use it! :-)

Nimrod God (nimrodgod) | 273 comments Darren wrote: "Dude, I don't WANT to insult you."

I never said you did. Just meant that if you ever did want to, calling me a Nimrod is a good thing to me, that's all. :-)

message 7: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 6261 comments Omg, the Goodreads description of Tigana is massively spoilery!

David Sven (gorro) | 1582 comments Tamahome wrote: "Omg, the Goodreads description of Tigana is massively spoilery!"

Lol - I hadn't read it all before. Its rather appropriate then that you point it out in a thread warning of spoilers.

Aeryn98 | 175 comments For some reason while listening to the audiobook I was hearing faint echoes of Camelot when Tigana was mentioned even though the setting was more Italian renaissance. The near mythical place where justice ruled under a benign ruler that is sought again and again after it is gone. I know Kay has used the Camelot mythology in the Fionavar Tapestry, so it didn't seem so far a reach.

message 10: by Stuart (last edited Jun 03, 2012 01:33PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Stuart (stuartellis) | 47 comments Aeryn98 wrote: "For some reason while listening to the audiobook I was hearing faint echoes of Camelot when Tigana was mentioned even though the setting was more Italian renaissance. The near mythical place where justice ruled under a benign ruler that is sought again and again after it is gone."

That's an interesting thought - I definitely got a feeling of "rose-tinted spectacles" in the descriptions of Tigana myself.

Perhaps for some of the characters it is more a kind of mythic place than a real one... They only have childhood memories (or none at all), and we are told that Lower Corte has been deliberately and pretty thoroughly wrecked to destroy the landmarks and things that link it to it's past as Tigana.

message 11: by Tamahome (new) - added it

Tamahome | 6261 comments There's probably a Tolkein influence. Kay assist edited The Silmarillion.