Topeka & Shawnee Co. Public Library discussion

Reading Lolita in Tehran: A Memoir in Books
This topic is about Reading Lolita in Tehran
So Many Books, So Little Time > Our reaction to Reading Lolita in Tehran

Comments Showing 1-3 of 3 (3 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
We had a delightful discussion on this book. I was apprehensive, since it wasn't the easiest of read for me. But the topics it brought up, such as the treatment of women and the role of literature in our lives gave us a lot of fodder for discussion.
Our thoughts on the book: for some of us it was slow going reading it. Nafsi often discusses works of literature that we were unfamilar with. Those sections were harder to read as a result. One group member felt the book was disorganized. Indeed, most of us felt like it should have focused more on the members of the book group, and not so much on the other tangents that Nafsi wrote at length about.
One member had tried to find out if there was more information about the members of the book group and was disappointed to find that there weren't any updates. This was how we got attached to the members of the book group we met in the book.

message 2: by Melanie (last edited Jun 01, 2012 12:04PM) (new) - rated it 3 stars

Melanie | 212 comments For a book that no of us really "liked" we had a great discussion. I don't think any of us are going to be seeing out to read any other of Nafsi's works. I think the memoir is a great idea to write about four of the books you love and how they shaped you life at a certain point in time. However, not in the world of academia I think we wanted more of her story and less literary criticism.

message 3: by Deb (new)

Deb (debs4jc) | 99 comments Mod
Yes exactly, after I graduated from college I was done with literary criticism!