UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Imperfect Tense - Discussions / Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Aunty Janet (new)

Aunty Janet (janetauty) | 297 comments I adored this story and got totally lost reading it. I particularly loved the characters and their growth. I loved the ending, which was not sickly sweet, but satisfying. I was a bit worried it was all going to go horribly wrong or be disappointingly obvious.
I did work out that the main character was pregnant before the end.... I kept thinking that if they carried on like that a baby would be inevitable!
The grandmother and the little girl were charming and I was intrigued by their development. Jean Paul and his mother were deliciously evil... well she was, I did feel a bit sorry for Jean Paul at the end.. he'd had a rough time of it under his mother's horrible influence.
I would not have read this if it had not been a group read as I'm only really downloading freebies at the moment, but it was money well spent. I haven't been this absorbed in a story for a very long time!

message 3: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments Oak Tree discussion points -

Did you expect the ending or could you see it coming?

What did you think of Eleanor's role in the story? In some ways she brought family members together - Etienne, his mother, the little girl. In some ways she drove in a wedge - the mother and the son.

Some of our laid back and peaceful members wanted to smack the mother! How did Eteinne put up with her? Some were drawn to the little girl, her predicament, her joy in being accepted. Did any of the characters bring forward strong feelings in you?

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I loved this story but there are some aspects that I can't make my mind up about.

On one hand there seemed to be a great love from Eleanor towards Etienne, the ending came across as happy and it seems like her life was fulfilled. But she was only 16! Etienne was more than old enough to be her father. The grandmere was promoting a match between her son and a child. The way that Mary has written this though means that I have no clear feelings either way - I was rather shocked at the age difference but happy about the happiness that it brought to Eleanor, the little girl (can't think of her name at the mo) and Eleanor's father.

How did others react to this aspect of the story?

:0)

message 5: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Hmmm. I felt that as we grew to know her, it seemed to me that Eleanor was older than her true age. She seemed very mature. Initially he appeared to me to be taking advantage of her but the love grew on both sides.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

I also think that she was just as in love with the farm as she was Etienne. I must admit that I fell in love with the farm too!!

:0)

message 7: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments As a Grandma with a vegetable garden I found much to love in this book!

message 8: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I'm head over heels about it Kew! I want to move to France and have a farm just like it, grow my own vegetables, have my own chickens and cook food just like Grandmere

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

That's what I love about Mary's books - there are so many levels to them and things aren't always straight forward, it challenges your thinking.

I would move to that farm tomorrow if poss and spend lots of my time in the kitchen eating Grandmere's cooking!!!

;0)

message 10: by Kath (last edited Jun 11, 2012 03:49AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments You don't have to be in France to do that Jud. I have chickens and veg (but if I let them get together I just have chickens with an evil grin on their beaks and stuffed full of veg!)

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

We don't have the sunshine in this country that's available on granmere's farm!!

;0)

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments True. You can fry green tomatoes though!
We've had 2 tomatoes already - in East Yorks.

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I don't have a garden though. Plus it's sounds like so much more fun in France.