UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Relationship Status - Discussions/Spoilers

Comments Showing 1-26 of 26 (26 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by J.S. (last edited Jun 02, 2012 08:40AM) (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments I guess the 'autos' are an evolved version of Siri - the 'personal assistant' for the iPhone. Actually, Siri is interesting, because there is only ONE Siri - she lives on a server-cluster in South Carolina (???) - so she wouldn't need to even talk to another Siri to start organizing your love life!

Vaguely related, a 'friend' once worked on a data mining project for a large petro-chemical company with access to every email sent within the organization over many years. I... er... I mean my friend wrote an algorithm when he was bored one day to 'mine' people who were having affairs - it was surprisingly straightforward and effective - your computer really does know a LOT about you!

message 3: by Kath (last edited Jun 02, 2012 08:29AM) (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments Sadly, my computer knows how boring I am!
(I've been trying to keep that a secret!)

message 4: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments Today a friend's iPhone told her that her two hour journey was going to take her four and a half hours. It was correct. We were wondering at what point personal devices will be able to predict other imminent disasters such as broken feet. Made me think of David's series about 'autos'.

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments My blackberry likes to think it can predict when I want to stop listening to music. It has never yet been correct, pretty stupid for a smart phone.

message 6: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments My phone stopped working over the weekend and made me realise just how much of my life is stored on it. Nothing that I couldn't have reconstructed, but enough to be scary.

message 7: by Geoff (new)

Geoff Woodland | 140 comments Darren,

Talking about phones not working, watch this video until the end
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Dbaea...

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments We do rely on stuff like this don't we? I don't have a Smart Phone (mine's pretty dim, but hey, we get on well!) but I can imagine that the more it does, the more you rely on it. If, as in the story, people get to the stage where they assume that the machine is omniscient, then the slightest error or malfunction is going to have massive repercussions.

One reason I enjoyed this story is simply because it made me thing about things like this.

message 9: by Darren (new)

Darren Humphries (darrenhf) | 6980 comments Darren wrote: "My phone stopped working over the weekend and made me realise just how much of my life is stored on it. Nothing that I couldn't have reconstructed, but enough to be scary."

My phone's back working again - yay. The story takes the current state of things and then extrapolates forward, one sign of proper science fiction. I especially liked the thing with the mother (no spoilers here).

message 10: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Yea me too Darren, not sure I'd like it so much in real life though.

message 11: by [deleted user] (new)

I really enjoyed reading this - it gave me a bit of a chill at one point when I saw Amy's life spiralling out of control due to her auto. I also found the idea of still conversing with dead relatives through their autos disturbing. I liked the sweet twist to the ending.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading this and it gives plenty to think about.

:0)

message 12: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Me too Karen, I thought it was horrible as well when you 'unfriended' them that everyone else gave you abuse for it. But I wouldn't want to be in contact with my dead relatives

message 13: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments A thought or two from the Oak Tree group.

Do you think the time scale is possible? Technology has moved on in the last 10 years. Could it move this far in the next 10?

At the present, we laugh at the recommendations web sites offer us and the 'targeted' adverts. At what point will you feel we are getting near to the 'autos'?

message 14: by Rosen (new)

Rosen Trevithick (rosentrevithick) | 2273 comments I thought the revelation that the mother was dead was pure genius and felt a buzz of admiration at that point.

message 15: by [deleted user] (new)

Rosen wrote: "I thought the revelation that the mother was dead was pure genius and felt a buzz of admiration at that point."

I agree - I was quite shocked once I realised that she was dead. I was also quite chilled by the idea that the comments the were being sent by her friends, turned out not to be written by them personally but by their autos - so even after people had died they were still "chatting"!

message 16: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I can see that happening, machines chatting to people on our behalf. Making appointments, congratulating people on certain things and even picking an item from the persons wish list for presents.

Siri for iPhones is sort of the beginning of that, you tell it to remind you of someone's birthday and it will enter it into your diary and it'll remind you when the date gets closer

message 17: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments What scares the pants off me is that they should do that without reference to the owner. I like to think I'm in charge of my gadgets, not the other way round.

The 'talking with the dead' thing seems mot far away from some of the facebook pages people set up for those who've died. They are just 'books of remembrance' in some ways but they seem to me a little spooky.

message 18: by Philip (sarah) (new)

Philip (sarah) Willis | 5174 comments I agree,I couldn't even cope with predictive text on my mobile it freaked me out that the gadget was trying to be one step ahead of me.
Long ago I went on a 'blind date' it was a total disaster mainly because I hated the idea that a friend thought she could choose what sort of man I would relate to. I spent the whole evening looking for reasons to dislike him and as a consequence finding plenty.
I like to be responsible for my own mistakes.

message 19: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I went on a blind date once... I ended up marrying the guy :o)

message 20: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments No way Jud ! that's awesome !

I'm quite lazy, so I say bring on the technology lol ! No really, if it gets to the point where a computer makes decisions for you and maintains relationships for you then life is going to be rather boring, and this is way scary!

Wouldn't mind a computer that does the housework though !

message 21: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Wouldn't mind a computer that does the housework though !"

that would be a dream come true!

message 22: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25093 comments I remember seeing 'computer controlled' houses on Tomorrow's World yonks ago. They anticipated your needs and switched things on and off at the right times. We have the technology. We obviously don't feel the need (or haven't got the ackers.)

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4324 comments Jud (Disney Diva) wrote: "Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "Wouldn't mind a computer that does the housework though !"

that would be a dream come true!"

& it could sort out cupboards and throw away old and broken items,

Patti would find one useful to help with her packing/sorting

message 24: by Aunty Janet (new)

Aunty Janet (janetauty) | 297 comments I thought the part about the mother having died was very clever and really ramped up the creepyness!

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Re: Mother being dead.

I felt like I'd truly been slapped at that point. Before then I was finding the idea of it all very cool then it was *HOLY CRAP*

message 26: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments Interesting article on relationships\privacy\timelines:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/technology/...