UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > The Imperfect Tense - Mary Fitzgerald

Comments Showing 1-28 of 28 (28 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments Review - 2 acorns

Reviewers were enchanted by this story. The austere hill farm in Britain and the countryside of France with the Grandmere’s vegetable garden really gave a sense of place. The events in the book occurred in the 1950s and involved a schoolgirl on an exchange visit to France. We enjoyed the characterisation; the way that the English girl Eleanor brought some of the members of her host family together was beautifully written. It’s not a sweet, rose-coloured look at the past though. There are unpleasant people in the book too.

The readers enjoyed the quality of the writing and the descriptive prose. It was full of suspense and the ending was described as ‘wonderful’. We most definitely recommend this book.

2 acorns. A Highly Recommended Read.

message 3: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Hey, I loved this one. The young girl was beautifully written. She seemd to grow up within the story. I loved the Grandmother too but then we grannies have a soft spot for one another!

message 4: by [deleted user] (last edited Jun 04, 2012 07:37AM) (new)

I highly recommend this book. Once again the author has made the setting and locations into a character which helps to drive the plot. She has the gift of writing emotional books full of sentiment which never become sentimental or mawkish. I would recommend reading this book on a full stomach as the wondeful full descriptions of the food Grandmere cooks will have you heading for the kitchen!
The quality of writing and the lyricism of the story make all the more unbelievable that this author has never found a publisher. In a world of celebrity "autobiographies" and publishing nepotism it's wonderful to find a novel of such caliber.

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I love this book too :o) I'm glad it got recommended.

message 6: by Nansi (new)

Nansi (nansic) | 6 comments I have to admit to being a huge fan of Mary Fitzgerald and it's therefore no surprise that I really loved this book. In this one Mary has again produced a book that draws you into what seems to be a languid backwater but surprises you with the complexities of the characters and their relationships with one another. Nothing is simple in the country!

message 7: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I completely fell in love with the story and have another of Mary Fitzgerald's books in my TBR list

message 8: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I have only read one other of hers but I think she's a gifted writer. Richard Wilde

message 9: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments That's the one I have in my TBR

message 10: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Dig it our Jud; it's lovely.

message 11: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments "our Jud" aw I feel so owned :o)

message 12: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments It was a typo (should have been 'out') - but you are owned nevertheless.

message 13: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Yea I figured it was but I couldn't resist.

Plus I've now found my favourite typo! :o)

message 14: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments Our Jud! Awww.

Patti (baconater) (goldengreene) | 61757 comments ...wonder if Mary knows that our group has chosen her book...

I've not seen her post in the group in ages.

message 16: by Mary (new)

Mary | 27 comments Hello Patti and everyone else,

Yes, I did know that my book has been chosen and am absolutely thrilled. What I don't know is what the form is for authors to reply to these lovely comments, still scared about being accused of promoting. However, here I am, grinning from ear to ear and happy to answer any questions about The Imperfect Tense.

message 17: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments We would never do such a thing. We are not animals from the zoo. You can respond anyway you like :o)

message 18: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments It's lovely to have an author on board Mary. Part of the fun of choosing and Indie book is that we get to ask questions and get a reply from the One Who Knows!

message 19: by Mary (new)

Mary | 27 comments The One Who Knows. Wow! I'll have to show that to my kids who foolishly like to deny that Ma knows everything.

message 20: by Alex (new)

Alex | 12 comments Just finished this book and loved it. Well worth a read

message 21: by [deleted user] (new)

I read this a few weeks ago and also loved it. I agree with the point about the food descriptions - had my mouth watering every time!! If you actually cook like this - recipes please, Mary!!!

I thought that this was one of Mary's best novels and beautifully written. I still think of aspects of this book now, even though I read it a while ago - not many books stay with me like that.

:0)

message 22: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments Flip I forgot about the cooking. Oh how I want to eat the food from this book

message 23: by Mary (new)

Mary | 27 comments I try to cook like Grandmere but it's always hit and miss. I trawled through French recipe books for inspiration for the novel. Elizabeth David is a goddess as far as I'm concerned.
When I went to France for the first time I had never seen a green pepper nor eaten a shrimp. I'm not saying that my mother's cooking was like Eleanor's mother's but my Mum prided herself on plain food, well cooked...and boy, was it plain.
I so enjoyed putting the meals into the novel and teaching Eleanor how to cook.

message 24: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18543 comments I want a grandmere to teach me to cook like that

message 25: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25094 comments I read my first Elizabeth David book at 16. It opened my eyes. In South Manchester even black pepper was considered foreign and shoddy!

message 26: by [deleted user] (new)

It reminded me of the Pop Larkin stories in The Darling Buds of May, not in the story but the food! Another book to read on a full stomach as the descriptions of Ma's food will make it rumble!
I have read all Mary's books and a couple I feel should be the start of series. Any more from Harry Tyrrell Traitor's Gate? I loved that book

message 27: by Mary (new)

Mary | 27 comments You're quite right, Beth. Traitor's Gate is the start of a series and I am writing the second. The research is taking a bit of time, I keep getting side tracked by interesting events in Chester during the seige and wondering how I can wind them into the story. However, Harry Tyrell will ride again in Chester and my notes for a third adventure take him away from the city following the evil Count Sancerre.

message 28: by Mo (new)

Mo (mobroon) | 797 comments This is a superb book as are all of hers that I have read so far. She certainly deserves to become a mainstream writer. Looking forward to the follow on to Traitor's Gate.