UK Amazon Kindle Forum discussion

Past Group Book Discussions > Relationship Status - David Wailing

Comments Showing 1-36 of 36 (36 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 2: by Oak Tree (new)

Oak Tree | 50 comments Overall one acorn. A Recommended Read.
This was described by reviewers as enjoyable, readable and appropriate for our modern times. It is a quick read, being a short story of around 6,000 words and gave people something to think about. Some found it a fun idea and some found it rather horrifying that a personal organiser would take its duties so far beyond the owner’s expectations. Some feared that the future might be heading this way!

Genre - Short Story.
1 acorn. An Oak Tree Recommended Read.

message 3: by Ruth (new)

Ruth (ruthcargill0204) | 39 comments Really enjoyed this short story. Raised interesting questions about how much time we spend sociallizing electronically rather than face to face!

message 4: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Reminds me of the old question, "How many friends have you got?"
The second questions is " How many of them are real?"

message 5: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I hate when you meet a friend of a friend once (who you'll never see again) but they insist on adding you on facebook. I'm too nice to say no...

I only really want people on my facebook that I'm interested in not just any tom, dick or harry. Granted though some of the people I am not really in touch with anymore but I still like to see what is happening in their lives.

This isn't really related to the discussion.

Sorry.

message 6: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments It sort of is. Technology ruling your life, kind of thing.

message 7: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I'm so an example of how technology ruins social activity ! I got all my cousins on facebook. Back along I wouldn't see them for a year, so we'd spend a whole day catching up when I'd go to France. Since having facebook we're up to date with what goes on in each other's life, so we have nothing to tell each other anymore lol !

Jay-me (Janet)  | 4325 comments Lorraine - Lover of Jellybeans wrote: "I'm so an example of how technology ruins social activity ! I got all my cousins on facebook. Back along I wouldn't see them for a year, so we'd spend a whole day catching up when I'd go to France...."

I only have one of my cousins on FB - the one who lives in Australia. The others mostly live nearby - but I rarely see them anyway & wouldn't think of adding them to FB. The only other family member on my FB is my nephew and that is because it was the best way to keep in touch when he was at Uni.

message 9: by Elle (last edited Jun 15, 2012 04:22AM) (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments What a great story!

Being a complete technology addict I kinda liked the idea of a device that could do so much (NOT the think and comment for you bit though)!

message 10: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Interesting Lorraine and Janet - the reason I originally got facebook was to keep in touch with my family when I went away to Uni!

message 11: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I used to have Bebo and then at Uni I got FB cause everybody had it. Wish I hadn't bothered now.

message 12: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Oh the days of Bebo! Is it even still around?

message 13: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Louise-Lesley (Elle) wrote: "Interesting Lorraine and Janet - the reason I originally got facebook was to keep in touch with my family when I went away to Uni!"

I think it's a good way of keeping in touch, none of us tend to write or call, but at least with facebook we keep in touch more regulary.
That said, doesn't mean that you'll know it all, found out my cousin had split up from her hubby like 6 months down the line, and wasn't told my grandma had had a knee op (planned) until it was over lol !

message 14: by Jud (new)

Jud (judibud) | 18537 comments I think so Elle, but I've long forgotten my log in and password

message 15: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments Very true - I have a lot of family on facebook but there is still a lot that doesn't get posted!

Gingerlily - The Full Wild | 36808 comments None of my family are on Facebook. I have a very wide circle of friends - literally all over the world. Its a brilliant tool for keeping in touch. I had a lovely chat with my friend in Edinburgh last night.

message 17: by Mhairi (new)

Mhairi Simpson (mhairisimpson) | 1158 comments I loved this story. Thought it was absolutely brilliant, especially because at the end it meant she got talking to someone she never would have spoken to in real life, or even online, if her auto hadn't got involved. So in the end it actually broadened her horizons, made her look around her differently. Really liked that.

message 18: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments After reading the next one in this world (Timeline), I think I like this even more now!

message 19: by J.S. (new)

J.S. Egan (jsegan) | 115 comments I think Relationship Status is more interesting, possibly because I read it first, so it introduced me to that world; but Timeline is actually a better story... if that makes any sense?

I wonder which order you are supposed to read them in? David?

message 20: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments RS came first and it's more introductory. Like I said in my review, Timeline had a distinct advantage of not having to go into much detail about that world.

message 21: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments I read Timeline first (cos it was on freebie offer), and I thought it was awesome, and actually quite disturbing, since that technology is only 2 years away (Project Glass started taking pre-orders for developers this week - google it: it'll retail in 2014). When I read RS later, it was good, but I felt it didn't bring anything new to the table. I'm sure I'd rate it even better if I'd read it first.

message 22: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Is David actually aware that his book is this month's read? It's surprising that he's not been in to join in the conversation...

message 23: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I think he is, I've seen a few people congratulate him and stuff.

Maybe he's just avoiding it?

message 24: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments I mentioned it on his thread - he said he was surprised it had been recommended. Ahh.

message 25: by Elle (new)

Elle (louiselesley) | 7913 comments I'm not surprised at all!

message 26: by David (new)

David Wailing | 834 comments Hello! I have been deliberately staying away from these discussions. I always think the author should stand back and allow readers the chance to discuss a book freely. But I have been following this, so many thanks to everyone who's commented and said such kind things!

To answer J.S.'s question, it doesn't matter which order RS or Timeline (or any forthcoming stories!) are read in - they are all meant to be stand-alone. However as Elle rightly points out, RS is more introductory to the concept of autos and the whole world of 2022, since it was written first. At the time I had no idea if there would be another story.

Tim's quite right about Project Glass - I came across this while writing Timeline, and it just made me feel like my predictions were on the right track!

message 27: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments Don't you scare yourself sometimes? ;)

message 28: by David (new)

David Wailing | 834 comments About the future? Or just by looking in the mirror? :-)

message 29: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Looking in the mirror scares me...

message 30: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments I don't have a reflection :(

message 31: by Pat () (new)

Pat ()  | 29 comments Lorraine that's brilliant! haha.I'm running for cover

message 32: by Tim (new)

Tim | 9478 comments Do you have pointy teeth? If so, I'm with Pat!

message 33: by Lorraine (new)

Lorraine Versini (lorraineversini) | 8999 comments Well it's no news that I have an acquired taste for blood...

message 34: by Kath (new)

Kath Middleton | 25061 comments David wrote: "About the future? Or just by looking in the mirror? :-)"

I was telling Patti a few weeks back about the technique of putting a nylon stocking over a camera lens to 'fade out' wrinkles in those who don't like their reflection in the mirror. Only I said I was getting to the hiking sock stage!

You've nothing to worry about!

message 35: by Emma (new)

Emma (emzibah) | 4396 comments I just realised that I had not commented in this thread yet.... Needless to say (David knows how much I love his work) I thoroughly enjoyed RS and Timeline actually. I think it is a scary concept to be honest but can so see that this, to some degree, is how we will end up.
Right now I would love my Auto to find me my perfect match!!!!!!

message 36: by David (new)

David Wailing | 834 comments I also think this is how we will end up... I honestly think autos will be developed in the next few years, and by 2022 they will be universal!