The Novella Club discussion

Group reads > Nominate a novella for July 2012

Comments Showing 1-11 of 11 (11 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Please nominate a novella for the group to read and share in July. (Well) under 200 pages please.

message 2: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin The Stepford Wives by Ira Levin - I've nominated this before and think it would spark quite a conversation. Love Levin.

message 3: by Alex (new)

Alex Cross (anotheralexcross) | 4 comments Please excuse my ignorance as I'm new here so if I've repeated any nominations or it's a faux pas to nominate two books, let me know.

Classic nomination:

The Duel by Joseph Conrad The Duel by Joseph Conrad and available to legally download for free here. 112 pages.

An exciting, swashbuckling thriller based on a true story about two of Napoleon’s soldiers.

Conrad’s brilliantly ironic tale about two officers in Napoleon’s Grand Army who, under a futile pretext, fought an on-going series of duels throughout the Napoleanic Wars. Over decades, on every occasion they chanced to meet, they fought. Both satiric and deeply sad, this masterful tale treats both the futility of war and the absurdity of false honor, war’s necessary accessory.

Modern nomination:

Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez Chronicle of a Death Foretold by Gabriel Garcí­a Márquez. 128 pages.

A mysterious and haunting tale of romance and murder, that begins with the marriage of a man and a woman in love. But when he inexplicably mistreats his beloved on the night of the wedding, he is in turn murdered by her brothers, and we are left with a strange sense of inevitability and passions gone terribly awry.

message 5: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
I'd like to nominate "The Grey" by Ian Mackenzie Jeffers. I just posted about it today after finding out it was the basis for the Liam Neeson movie. I thought the movie was especially well done, and am excited to read the book. The Grey by Ian Mackenzie Jeffers Grey, The

message 6: by Candiss (last edited Jun 01, 2012 06:08PM) (new)

Candiss (tantara) I'll nominate Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto Kitchen by Banana Yoshimoto. This volume contains the title novella plus a companion short story. I read it recently and just loved it. It was unconventional and surprising, yet still relatable and very touching, and I can definitely see why it became a bit of a sensation in Japan in the 80s and why it landed on the "1001 Books to Read Before You Die" list.

I reviewed it on Goodreads here.

message 7: by Mikki (new)

Mikki Many good nominations so far. I'd also like to add, Concrete.
Concrete by Thomas Bernhard Concrete

Instead of the book he's meant to write, Rudolph, a Viennese musicologist, produces this tale of procrastination, failure, and despair, a dark and grotesquely funny story of small woes writ large and profound horrors detailed and rehearsed to the point of distraction.

"Certain books—few—assert literary importance instantly, profoundly. This new novel by the internationally praised but not widely known Austrian writer is one of those—a book of mysterious dark beauty . . . . [It] is overwhelming; one wants to read it again, immediately, to re-experience its intricate innovations, not to let go of this masterful work."—John Rechy, Los Angeles Times

message 8: by Craig (new)

Craig | 30 comments Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or, The Bomb Party by Graham Greene Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or, The Bomb Party by Graham Greene. I just started reading this today so I probably shouldn't nominate it. It has started off well though and the story sounds intriguing.

A satirical black comedy reissued from the legendary Graham Greene.

Doctor Fischer despises the human race. When the notorious toothpaste millionaire decides to hold the last of his famous parties -- his own deadly version of the Book of Revelations -- Greene opens up a powerful vision of the limitless greed of the rich.

Black comedy and painful satire combine in a totally compelling novel.

message 9: by Mmars (new)

Mmars | 588 comments okay y 'all have done it again. Great suggestions! Love this group.

message 10: by Ivan (new)

Ivan | 2166 comments Mod
Craig wrote: "Doctor Fischer of Geneva, or, The Bomb Party by Graham GreeneDoctor Fischer of Geneva, or, The Bomb Party by Graham Greene. I just started reading this today so I probably shouldn't nominate it. It has ..."

I loved Dr. Fischer...and still refer to some people as "toady." :-)

message 11: by Edel (new)

Edel (edellittlebookfairy) | 71 comments I nominate Doctor Fischer of Geneva ,or, The Bomb Party by Graham Greene.