Classics for Beginners discussion

Jane Eyre
This topic is about Jane Eyre
Old Monthly Group Reads > Jane Eyre by Charlotte Brontë

Comments Showing 1-50 of 159 (159 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1 3 4

message 1: by Nicolle (last edited Jun 02, 2012 05:04AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nicolle Enjoy this read, it is fantastic!!

Can't find a copy? Read it here:
http://www.goodreads.com/reader/640-j...

midnightfaerie I LOVED this book I haven't rated a lot my favorites, or 5 stars, but this one will be. In the process of writing my review...will post it when I'm done. I want to watch a few movie versions first.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) I just read this and really liked it.

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments I've never read this one; not even sure what it's about. But I have every intention of reading it in June!

Louise Started my copy today after my last exam (ok, after an afternoon drinking after my last exam...). Really enjoying it so far, much more than I thought I would. Jane is damn articulate 10 year old though!

message 6: by Mackenzi (new)

Mackenzi (werewolfmack) I'll start reading it this evening. I'm so excited, my mother bought me a really nice hardcover version of this and now I have a great excuse to crack it open again. :)

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments Wait! Really? She's 10?? All these years I thought it would be a romance.!

message 8: by Mike (new)

Mike (xolotl-ltolox) | 205 comments I'm looking forward to this since it's completely new to me.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) Sunny in Wonderland wrote: "Wait! Really? She's 10?? All these years I thought it would be a romance.!"

It starts out when she is 10 but she ages after a bit and it turns into a romance.

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Louise wrote: "Started my copy today after my last exam (ok, after an afternoon drinking after my last exam...). Really enjoying it so far, much more than I thought I would. Jane is damn articulate 10 year old th..."

I loved it too. I always took the whole thing of when she was ten as it being Jane writing it at a later stage in life from memory. Perhaps after everything had happened.

Nicolle Jonathan wrote: "Louise wrote: "Started my copy today after my last exam (ok, after an afternoon drinking after my last exam...). Really enjoying it so far, much more than I thought I would. Jane is damn articulate..."

Me too.

message 12: by Louise (last edited Jun 02, 2012 06:20AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louise Jonathan wrote: "I always took the whole thing of when she was ten as it being Jane writing it at a later stage in life from memory. Perhaps after everything had happened."

Yeah, the narrator states she's looking back years and years later. I just find it mildly amusing the way even children talk in a lot of classics.

Nicolle It does say on some copies 'Jane Eyre - An Autobiography' which insinuates that she writes about her life that has already happened.

midnightfaerie i just finished reading mine, and you know, i never really saw it as a romance...not sure what i'd label it...but to me, it was so much more than that...the conflict of the duality between the natures of the two men, her best friend in school putting her on the right path of morality by showing her what it means to be a christian...and so much more...

Janice (janaz28) | 45 comments I am reading Jane Eyre for the second time now and I must say I am liking it even better this time. Maybe it is because I seem to understand more this time...Well, anyway, I am looking forward to reading the rest of it now!

Clinton (clinton_s) | 21 comments I started reading it a little while ago. Now that this group is reading it, I have a deadline, which is good for my brain. I'm loving the book so far, with my only complaint being that Jane spends nine chapters reflecting on six months of being a ten-year-old, but then decides to skip eight years of her life in the next chapter because I guess nothing interesting happened then...

midnightfaerie Clinton, I know what u mean, I noticed that too. I think maybe those years just weren't relevant to the story. It's already five hundred pages, perhaps she was trying to slim it down and focus on the things that happened to her that build her character.

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) It's like in films where they skip years and you're like hang on did they just travel in time without letting us know?

message 20: by Louise (last edited Jun 04, 2012 01:34AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Louise Clinton wrote: "my only complaint being that Jane spends nine chapters reflecting on six months of being a ten-year-old, but then decides to skip eight years of her life in the next chapter because I guess nothing interesting happened then..."

I actually liked that. The ten year old stuff was important because it had a big impact on Jane's character development and the person she grew up to be - but I would have got very frustrated if she had then spent another god knows how many chapters just discussing the ins and outs of a very dull life at the school. If nothing of interest or relevance to the main story is going to happen for a few years I'm always for a timeskip.

Maybe it's just a narrative device I'm more used to though, it's used a fair bit in these sort of 'autobiographical' style novels (as well as a lot of the rubbish fantasy I read as a kid - orphan had hard life, someone took pity on him and sent him to school, orphan came out a powerful wizard/knight/whatever).

message 21: by Ana (new) - rated it 5 stars

Ana | 8 comments i've read this book last summer and i loved it. I loved the writing style and the romance and how the character changed in time.. it was a 5 stars reading and i am looking forward to read some other book written by bronte sisters

midnightfaerie me too, ana. this was my first bronte as well. but i immediately picked up some others by charlotte. can't wait to read them.

Villette
Shirley
life of Charlotte Bronte by Gaskell

message 23: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Sjoquist (amywan71) janine wrote: "I LOVED this book I haven't rated a lot my favorites, or 5 stars, but this one will be. In the process of writing my review...will post it when I'm done. I want to watch a few movie versions first."

I loved the 1996 version with William Hurt!

message 24: by Amy (new) - rated it 3 stars

Amy Sjoquist (amywan71) I am really looking forward to reading this. I began a long time ago but didn't finish it.

message 25: by Sunny (last edited Jun 04, 2012 09:47AM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments Out of the mouths of babes (and I'm paraphrasing here from Chapter 4):

Mr. Brocklehurst: "How do you avoid going to Hell?"
10 Year Old Jane: "Don't die."

BRA-HA-HA-HA-HA!

Elise (Geordielass) | 47 comments This is the fourth or fifth time I've read it (in about 15 years). The more I read it the more I get from it, but I do now wonder if she could have been happy with Rochester if he hadn't been blind - he's such a domineering person and she is so starved for affection that I just feel she would have let her personality become subsumed by him (she does it for St John Rivers so easily and he is just her cousin).

Just a thought - I wondered what anyone else thought?

midnightfaerie I thought so too Elise! definitely! a normal marriage would have had issues for both of them...this way she feels needed!

@sunny - love that line!

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
Clinton wrote: "I started reading it a little while ago. Now that this group is reading it, I have a deadline, which is good for my brain. I'm loving the book so far, with my only complaint being that Jane spends ..."

I have to agree with Louise. Those years were so integral to the formation of her character. I think that in the next eight years, it's more par for the course, so not necessarily germane to her future.

message 29: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 16 comments I started it awhile back, but put it down. Thanks to this group I am ready to pick it back up and start again.

message 30: by Nilgün (last edited Jun 04, 2012 10:51PM) (new) - rated it 5 stars

Nilgün (hassiz) | 11 comments janine wrote: "Clinton, I know what u mean, I noticed that too. I think maybe those years just weren't relevant to the story. It's already five hundred pages, perhaps she was trying to slim it down and focus on..."

I was disapointet to about this emty jears...

Nilgün (hassiz) | 11 comments But It is one of my favoreite books. The romance, the endlless love, even the other parth...

midnightfaerie @Amy! I found the William Hurt version on netflix and saw it yesterday! wow! awesome! although I think they were pressed for time and hurried thru the good parts at the end...

Danielle The Book Huntress (Wants to Read More) (gatadelafuente) | 614 comments Mod
I think Orson Welles was the best Rochester. But I've liked most of the actresses I've seen as Jane Eyre. Possibly Ruth Wilson the best.

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments Good Lord! I'm up to the point where (view spoiler)

It's hard to think that that kids were ever (are ever?) treated that poorly! Bread and coffee or burned porridge. Freezing toes and dirty clothes and neck spankings with a bundle of branches and on and on and on. How wretched!!!

midnightfaerie wait til you get to the hair part.

@Lady Danielle - I have that on Netflix too, I plan to watch it soon. :) I'll let u know which I like better in my review.

Carrie | 92 comments This is one of my all-time favorite books though I won't be reading again. (Too many others to read for the first time.) Enjoy! I'm reading Lady Chatterly's Lover for this month.

Pamela(AllHoney) (pamelap) janine wrote: "@Amy! I found the William Hurt version on netflix and saw it yesterday! wow! awesome! although I think they were pressed for time and hurried thru the good parts at the end..."

Saw your post and went to netflix and just watched it. It was pretty good. There were parts I would have liked to see stick closer to the book but it was good.

midnightfaerie yeah, that's pretty much how i felt too..

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 33 comments liked this book rochester is hilarious to me.

message 40: by Anna (new) - rated it 5 stars

Anna Wadlow (awadlow42) | 16 comments I restarted Jane Eyre last night. Reading along with an audiobook makes it easier to understand. How could I have not gotten into this book before...Poor Jane, Poor Helen...That awful Mrs. Reed and terrible Mr. Brocklehurst...I must go now as Jane is waiting for me to start chapter 10...I am hooked...lol

Whitney (whitneychakara) | 33 comments yes I listened to the audio as well at first it bothered me because Jane was supposed to be young but that narrator was clearly alot older.but rochesters sayings were so hilarious!

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) Elise wrote: "This is the fourth or fifth time I've read it (in about 15 years). The more I read it the more I get from it, but I do now wonder if she could have been happy with Rochester if he hadn't been blin..."

I really saw that as a point of almost repentance for the character. It was on the whole a story for me about how characters made mistakes but in the end were given a second chance.

midnightfaerie @Lady Danielle - started the orson wells one last nite and i already like it better than the william hurt one! i'm a sucker for old movies!

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments I considered watching this movie, but my young one reminded me that HE had to wait on The Hunger Games movie until he finished the book, so I'm gonna have to wait on Jane Eyre. LOL!

midnightfaerie oh yes, sunny! it's much better to read it first! so much more happens in the book than any of the movies!

Jonathan Terrington (thewritestuff) I always try and read the book before I watch the films. Or sometimes if there's a remake film I like to watch the older versions first.

I really want to watch the old Jane Eyre movie myself Janine. I think the Orson Welles one is on the 1001 movies to watch list...

midnightfaerie i believe it...it's really well made...at least from what i've seen so far...hope to watch the rest at lunch today...then finish writing my review for jane eyre...

Sunny (travellingsunny) | 231 comments So. Rasselas. The book that Helen Burns is reading. I seriously need to stop getting sidetracked.

http://www.goodreads.com/review/show/...

Jacqueline | 1 comments It's not often that a book and its film interpretation are both excellent, but I saw the new movie with Mia Wasikowska and Michael Fassbender and I was very impressed. However, the book is ALWAYS better.

janine aka J9 aka midnightfaerie wrote: "@Lady Danielle - started the orson wells one last nite and i already like it better than the william hurt one! i'm a sucker for old movies!"

Orson Welles really seemed to understand who Rochester was.

« previous 1 3 4