Beyond Reality discussion

Throne of the Crescent Moon (The Crescent Moon Kingdoms, #1)
This topic is about Throne of the Crescent Moon
Previous BotM--DISCUSSIONS > THRONE OF THE CRESCENT MOON: finished reading (*SPOILERS*)

Comments Showing 1-10 of 10 (10 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
Here's a general topic for people who have finished reading Throne of the Crescent Moon by Saladin Ahmed.

Caution: this topic may contain spoilers!

message 2: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments I read this a couple of weeks ago and just loved it. I wish it had been longer, so I'm waiting (impatiently) for the next book (or books). Saladin Ahmed may become my next fantasy author I add to my 'must read when released' short list. Here's my review (via my blog since I'm too lazy to make a new Bitly shortcut to the copy here on Goodreads).

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments So, I finally finished this last night and I have a few thoughts.

I have to say overall I have mixed feelings. The potential is certainly there but I think the execution could have been better.

I wish there had been a little more world building. Actually, scratch that. I get the feeling he has built things up quite well, he just didn't spend a lot of time telling us about it.

I can't believe I am saying this, but I almost wish there had been more filler. In a way it was almost like reading a Readers Digest abridged version. Everything happened so very fast, all jumbled together. We delved into the characters wants, desires, motivations too deeply too quickly. I felt like we hadn't earned all of the exposition we received.

There's certainly potential here and I'm curious to see how he'll have grown in his writing with the next book.

message 4: by Jon (new) - added it

Jon (jonmoss) | 626 comments Random wrote: "So, I finally finished this last night and I have a few thoughts.

I have to say overall I have mixed feelings. The potential is certainly there but I think the execution could have been better.

..."

Exactly how I felt upon finishing the novel. I craved more of everything. I appreciated the fast pace and concise prose, but my first love is epic fantasy, so throw more words at me (good ones, please, but more, more, more!) :)

message 5: by Stefan, Group Founder + Moderator (Retired) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Stefan (sraets) | 1667 comments Mod
I felt differently, to be honest. I love that this book was so tight and didn't waste any time getting to the point, but still managed to offer a detailed world and, most importantly, some fascinating characters. I could read entire novels about the main character and the older couple. The book felt old-fashioned to me, but in a good way. The closest comparison for me was Fritz Leiber's Lankhmar series - he also managed to do a lot with fewer words than what we're used to nowadays. I'm very excited to see where Saladin is taking this series next.

Sandi (sandikal) | 338 comments I really loved this book. The only think that kind of got to me was the abrupt POV shifts. Even that I got used to and actually enjoyed during the final battle sequence. It was cool to see how each character viewed the same events.

Personally, I like it when an author has clearly thought out the world and the characters but doesn't bore me by telling me about in in excruciating detail. I like to discover the world and get to know the characters myself. For a fantasy novel, it felt very real.

I also like that it had a beginning, a middle, and an end. I hate cliffhangers and am much more likely to read the author's next book when he doesn't use them.

Random (rand0m1s) | 820 comments Its not that I felt it needed to be described in excruciating detail.

Example: I have a very hard time buying the fact that two people can go from first meeting, attraction, infatuation, and discussion of marriage all over the course of a couple of days. Two people who for the most part barely even spoke to one another. And one of them was unconscious for part of that time. I mean most teenagers usually manage to go more than a few days between first meeting and declarations of "you are the only one I would wish to wed".

Another example is Raseed's crisis of conscience. So, we have the scene where he gets the crimson quicksilver that Litaz needed. He knowingly accepted that stolen item. This is where we should see him struggle. I mean, he even briefly considered steeling the stuff himself (though the lucky appearance of the Falcon Prince saved him from having to do that). Instead he feels a little guilty and that's about it. Then at the end at the scene at the Cobra Throne when he was seemingly transported to the lake of flame. We should have had payoff here for his guilt of the earlier deed. This should have been a big struggle for him. What we got was a brief moment of fear, then almost immediate acceptance that no one is perfect and off we go, its all good again.

Another example is Zamia's inability to take lion form after being injured. A perfect setup for it to continue to fail her at a point when needed. Instead we get "oh my period is done", and boom it works just in time for the final battle.

I just didn't feel like anything was earned. It was all too easy, too simple, from character development to even the final battle.

Nikita (nikita42) I enjoyed this book. I prefer the straight forward fantasy focusing more on the monsters and the saving the world than the political intrigue.

I do agree with Random, the internal struggle of Raseed and Zamia's loss of power were too easily resolved.

message 9: by Candiss (last edited Jun 21, 2012 06:34PM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Candiss (tantara) | 1207 comments I've been finished with this one for a while now, but I haven't had time to review it or read this thread so as to weigh in. I'll be back in a day or two!

I'll just say for now that I really loved it. I appreciated the non-Western-style atmosphere, and I have a soft spot for protagonists who are past their prime age-wise. I thought both the character development and the atmosphere was wonderfully done, and I am eager for a sequel. (This is not typical of me, as I am not a series reader, in general.)

So...back in a bit to get more involved.

message 10: by Mike (new) - rated it 2 stars

Mike (mikespencer) | 48 comments I heard so many great things about the novel, but, honestly, I didn't really enjoy it. It got off to a pretty good start, but then the middle was just so mundane.

I felt that the motivations of the enemy were woefully under explained. Why was there an attack at Adoulla's house? Was it just revenge? There didn't seem to be a point to it.

I also found it extremely convenient that everyone converged on the throne at the same time. There wasn't any particular reason for the enemy to wait that I could see. It just felt too easy, just a way to bring the story together. That's kind of how I felt about the whole book. Everything just fell into place with no justification.

On top of all that, I listened to the audio and I didn't care for the narrator. His portrayal of the characters was so over-the-top and bombastic. I definitely think I had a hard time connecting with the characters because of it--they all just seemed so annoying.

I can see why others liked it and I really expected to myself, but it didn't work for me.