YA LGBT Books discussion

Vintage: A Ghost Story
This topic is about Vintage
Book of the Month > June BotM - "Vintage; a Ghost Story" by Steve Berman **Spoilers**

Comments Showing 1-18 of 18 (18 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments This thread is for discussion of the June Book of the Month - Vintage: A Ghost Story by Steve Berman. For those who have not yet read this book, be aware that the discussion may include spoilers for the plot.

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments The blurb: In a small New Jersey town a lonely boy walking along a highway one autumn evening meets the boy of his dreams, a boy who happens to have died decades ago and haunts the road. Awkward crushes, both bitter and sweet, lead him to face youthful dreams and childish fears. With a cast of offbeat friends, antiques, and Ouija boards, Vintage offers readers a memorable blend of dark humor, chills and love.

I realized I wrote a really minimal review for this - I'll have to do another reread and write something more detailed. I did love the mix of dark and sweet, unusual and authentic characters, and interesting plot. I gave this 5 stars.

message 4: by [deleted user] (new)

I've added it to my to-read list and I should be getting it delivered either today or tomorrow...

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hannah L wrote: "I've added it to my to-read list and I should be getting it delivered either today or tomorrow..."

I hope you like it - I really enjoyed the narrator and story line.

message 6: by [deleted user] (new)

Kaje wrote: "Hannah L wrote: "I've added it to my to-read list and I should be getting it delivered either today or tomorrow..."

I hope you like it - I really enjoyed the narrator and story line."

Thank you!

message 7: by [deleted user] (new)

This book was really enjoyable and very very cute! The narrator was enjoyable and I loved the story line and the characters. And the book cover looks very mysterious. Hope everyone else enjoys it too!

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hannah L wrote: "This book was really enjoyable and very very cute! The narrator was enjoyable and I loved the story line and the characters. And the book cover looks very mysterious. Hope everyone else enjoys it too!"

Glad you liked it - I thought all the characters were interesting, and the ghost part of the story didn't go the way I first thought it might. There was a lot of imagination here. I'd love to read a sequel, because his abilities don't sound like they would stop at just one ghost (or two.)

message 9: by [deleted user] (new)

I don't think that the novel was long enough for Steve Berman to write another one but it could happen.

message 10: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Hannah L wrote: "I don't think that the novel was long enough for Steve Berman to write another one but it could happen."

I think he left it pretty open in the end - the relationship with Second Mike is just in it's beginning, and Trace seems intrigued by his abilities; the ending suggests other ghosts may speak to him. I think it's ripe for a sequel. Length doesn't have that much influence, I think; I've seen short stories with sequel novels. It's more about whether the arc is complete. In this case, there is so much more I'd like to see about these characters, although the book is 2007 so I'm not holding out much hope any more.

message 11: by Tam (last edited Jun 25, 2012 09:53AM) (new) - rated it 4 stars

Tam (cdn_tam) My daughter was 14 when she read this after I did. She enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely the type that can cross over age boundaries.

message 12: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Tam wrote: "My daughter was 14 when she read this after I did. She enjoyed it quite a bit. It's definitely the type that can cross over age boundaries."

My then-15-year-old liked it too.

message 13: by Rob (new) - rated it 4 stars

Rob (robouk) | 7 comments I enjoyed this, more than I expected as i don't normally like stoyrs with supernatural stuff.

What surprised me was that only when reading another review did it click that the narrator was unnamed throughout out the whole book.

message 14: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments Rob wrote: "I enjoyed this, more than I expected as i don't normally like stoyrs with supernatural stuff.

What surprised me was that only when reading another review did it click that the narrator was unnamed..."

I know - I'm thinking I have to go back and look too. He is such a definite character, it seems incredible that he's never called by his first name and yet...

message 15: by R.K. (new) - rated it 5 stars

R.K. (thestarzwillexplode) | 2 comments I loved this booK! Back in the day I had a little dialogue going with Steve Berman... it was wicked short though! =)

message 16: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments This is really one of my favorites in YA; I always hoped there would be a sequel to it.

april (harpies) I recently read this in October, and it was very fitting! I really enjoyed it!! I too didn't realize he was unnamed until I read the reviews on the books' page on goodreads.

message 18: by Kaje (new) - rated it 5 stars

Kaje Harper | 16566 comments It's so well done that he is a complete character and it never crossed my mind either.