Chaos Reading discussion

Bookshelf Nominations > Bookshelf Nominations: POETRY [now online]

Comments Showing 1-32 of 32 (32 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Ruby  Tombstone Lives! (rubytombstone) | 3260 comments Mod
In going through the classics, I just realised there were a couple I wanted to nominate that were poetry, and we really haven't gotten into that yet. So...

Post your very favourite books of poetry here to go onto the bookshelf

I nominate:
The Complete Poems of Anne Sexton
Judith Wright: Collected Poems 1942-1985 and
The Collected Poems of Wilfred Owen

And that's about all the poetry I know!

message 4: by Valerie (new)

Valerie Zink | 41 comments Sylvia Plath
I love her poetry.

message 5: by Riona (new)

Riona (rionafaith) | 457 comments I actually don't read much poetry, but this thread/shelf might inspire me to! I'll have to keep checking in here.

message 6: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I have lots of Ginsberg sitting on my shelf, beckoning me. But I haven't read it yet, so can't really nominate it. I have seen the film 'Howl' and loved it a lot though, if that counts!

message 7: by ceeeeg (new)

ceeeeg Homer's Iliad and Odyssey

Shakespeare's sonnets

and everything Pablo Neruda

message 8: by [deleted user] (new)

message 9: by Jacob (new)

Jacob (jacobjf) | 2 comments Paradise Lost by John Milton

message 10: by Katrina (last edited Jun 02, 2012 11:55AM) (new)

Katrina | 28 comments The Divine Comedy, Dante

The Complete Poems, by Emily Bronte - or Charlotte.

Norman MacCaig

Collected Poems by Ted Hughes

message 11: by Kim (new)

Kim (crossreactivity) Collected Sonnets, Edna St. Vincent Millay

100 Love Sonnets, Pablo Neruda

message 13: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Good work! Hey does anyone recommend anything in particular by Bukowski? I have a bunch of his stuff waiting to be read, but not much idea where to start.

message 14: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 28 comments Ruby wrote: "Good work! Hey does anyone recommend anything in particular by Bukowski? I have a bunch of his stuff waiting to be read, but not much idea where to start."

Burning in Water, Drowning in Flame is a rather decent collection. You Get So Alone at Times That it Just Makes Sense is another. :)

message 15: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Coldnostalgia wrote: "Ruby wrote: "Good work! Hey does anyone recommend anything in particular by Bukowski? I have a bunch of his stuff waiting to be read, but not much idea where to start."

Burning in Water, Drowning ..."

Thanks for that. I think I just have prose at the moment, so I'll have to add one of those to my next book order.... :)

message 16: by Katrina (new)

Katrina | 28 comments Ruby wrote: "Coldnostalgia wrote: "Ruby wrote: "Good work! Hey does anyone recommend anything in particular by Bukowski? I have a bunch of his stuff waiting to be read, but not much idea where to start."

Cool. I think you'll really like it:)

message 17: by Peter (new)

Peter Gallo | 27 comments My latest interest in poetry was Mark Strand. I really liked his Selected poems.

message 18: by Peter (new)

Peter Gallo | 27 comments Coldnostalgia wrote: "The Divine Comedy, Dante

The Complete Poems, by Emily Bronte - or Charlotte.

Norman MacCaig

Collected Poems by Ted Hughes"
You can't go wrong with The Divine Comedy. I just read The Inferno again for about the 5th time. An amazing work, still.

message 19: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Peter wrote: "My latest interest in poetry was Mark Strand. I really liked his Selected poems."

Book link: Selected Poems

message 20: by Lily Smalls (new)

Lily Smalls (lilysmalls) | 10 comments What about The Poems of Dylan Thomas? I just love Dylan Thomas' lyric and his onomatopoetic style.

message 21: by Michele (new)

Michele Brenton (banana_the_poet) | 8 comments Small Dreams Of A Scorpion: Poems Spike Milligan at his finest.

message 22: by Heather (new)

Heather (jesus-lovinwifeandmom) | 5 comments I don't know if this should belong on the children's shelf or not but I love A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also, I do not know if anyone else is familiar with James Whitcomb Riley but I really enjoy his poetry. He does not seem to be well known outside the midwest and is best known in Indiana,I think. I also really enjoy Robert Frost and Emily Dickinson though I have heard others say her poetry is depressing.

message 23: by Whitney (new)

message 24: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Heather wrote: "I don't know if this should belong on the children's shelf or not but I love A Child's Garden of Verses by Robert Louis Stevenson. Also, I do not know if anyone else is familiar with James Whitcomb..."

Book title links:
A Child's Garden of Verses

Heather - Are there any books in particular you want to nominate for the shelf by those other writers?

message 25: by Peter (new)

Peter Idone | 19 comments I have a couple of favorites from Ireland :Station Island and the works of W.B. Yeats
Some older poets from the nineteenth century - mainly the symbolists:Les Fleurs du Mal( the translation from the French by E.S. Millay is considered the best although nearly impossible to come by. All the works of Arthur Rimbaudand for those interested in the book that inspired Andre Breton and the surrealist movement Maldoror & the Complete Works of the Comte de Lautreamont

message 26: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

I VERY nearly bought the Penguin edition of Leonard Cohen's Book of Longing today. I'm just so broke..... but I really, really want it. Does anyone recommend it? Maybe if it's terrible I won't feel so bad for leaving it in the shop.....?

message 27: by Jon (new)

Jon Sindell | 38 comments JJ wrote: "The Outlaw Bible of American Poetry, edited by Alan Kaufman and S.A. Griffin

Thomas Hardy: The Complete Poems

A Shropshire Lad by A.E. Housman ("And malt does more than Milton can/To justify God'..."

It was A Shropshire Lad that turned me onto poetry back in tenth grade! So I second your nomination. Btw I’m recording that volume for Librivox, the volunteer project to produce audio-recordings of all literature in the public domain (as Project Gutenberg seeks to do for print). My recordings of “Bredon Hill” and “To An Athlete Dying Young” are on this page if you’re interested ...
http://jstevensonstories.blogspot.com... ). I will say, however, that the poems do get a bit cloying if you read the entire collection in a sitting. But individually: superb!

message 28: by Jon (new)

Jon Sindell | 38 comments Petra wrote: "I Wouldn't Have Missed It: Selected Poems by Ogden Nash
The Collected Poems by A.E. Housman"

Hi Petra. Regarding your nomination of Housman, please see my reply to J.J., above. So if anyone's counting, there are major up's for Housman!

message 29: by Jon (new)

Jon Sindell | 38 comments I guess I'm the first to say Leaves Of Grass by Walt Whitman. It's best read aloud -- like all poetry I suppose -- and a true experience.

message 30: by Amashelle (new)

Amashelle My favorite poet of all time is the oft-overlooked Andrew Marvell. The Poems of Andrew Marvell has so much more to offer than "To His Coy Mistress" and "The Garden" (though the latter is my favorite by far).

For anyone who's never heard of him, Marvell wrote an ecclectic combination of political, romantic (though the actuall 'romantic' era was still a ways in his future), traveller's commentaries, and a few more... Suggestive poems. I think his diversity as a poet makes him an ideal canditate for the chaos bookshelves.

message 31: by Elise (last edited Jun 24, 2012 01:22AM) (new)

Elise (Geordielass) | 171 comments Collected Poems of Philip Larkin - he should have been the Poet Laureate, but turned it down when it was offered. I just love them!

Old Possum's Book of Practical Cats for anyone who loves cats (or the musical "Cats" for that matter!)

Shakespeare's Sonnets if no-one's suggested it yet - I know it's hackneyed, but that doesn't stop many of they being lovely.

message 32: by Ruby , Mistress of Chaos (new)

Bookshelf updated today - feel free to keep nomming :)