College Students! discussion

Past Discussions of Group Reads > The Fault in Our Stars by John Green

Comments Showing 1-13 of 13 (13 new)    post a comment »
dateDown arrow    newest »

message 1: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
We are going to have one thread for each book as now Goodreads has made a spoiler tag that you can use to put before anything that is a spoiler. Use your discretion as to what would be a pretty big spoiler and label it. Please put up to what page the spoiler is for.

To create the tag simply do this:

< spoiler> Blah blah blah spoilery stuff < /spoiler>

*Take out the spaces in both of the spoiler tag.

It will look like this:

(view spoiler)

Discuss away...

message 2: by Mickslibrarian (new)

Mickslibrarian I liked the book in general, although I question Hazel's taste in TV (ANTM, really?). However, having cancer, I guess she is entitled to a little mindless viewing. I really want to read An Imperial Affliction now, but alas, it is not a real book. Can I just say, crap ending though - this is why I can't read books like this without tissues. Argh - think I need to go read the Happy Endings Book Club book now.

message 3: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments haha, everyone has their guilty pleasures! Plus, she's a teenager. She's allowed.

This is one of my all time favorite books. The writing is wonderful, I've never used the highlighter tool on my nook more than I did with TFiOS.

I liked it so much that I read it on my nook, then went and bought a physical copy as soon as I finished it.

message 4: by Imani (new)

Imani | 18 comments I really really liked this book . It's in my top 3 books I read this year .

The movie is coming out next year and I am afraid to watch it because I liked the book of much . Also because the actress that is playing Hazel and the actor that is playing Augustus are playing two characters in another movie that is coming out based on a book and I don't know if I will be able to separate the two while watching it .

But as much as I loved this book I don't know if I can read it again , I was put through way to much emotionally .

message 5: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 132 comments I really liked this book too and I totally agree with Kimberly, that there were soooo many good quotes in this book.

I read it so fast and totally loved it, but after I wrote my review I read some of the 2 or 3 star reviews and it made me wonder if one reason I loved it so much was because it was my first John Green novel and also I can't remember another "cancer book" (their term, not mine!) I've read. The two most common reasons those reviewers mentioned for not liking it much was because it's "just like his other books" and that it's just like every other "cancer book."

Either way I loved it and it definitely pushed his other books higher up on my To-Read list!

message 6: by Kimberly (new)

Kimberly (kimberlywithat) | 2140 comments I don't think that whether or not a book is similar to another has anything to do with how good it is. :) If you read it, loved it, and it affected you, should it matter if it is similar to another book?

ALSO. The trailer. I am nervous, as I am with any book to movie adaptation. However, I'm feeling a little more confident now after watching the trailer.
The Fault in Our Stars Official Trailer

message 7: by Michelle (new)

Michelle (vorvesm) | 132 comments Kimberly wrote: "I don't think that whether or not a book is similar to another has anything to do with how good it is. :) If you read it, loved it, and it affected you, should it matter if it is similar to another..."

I completely agree! A good book is a good book! But I know other people were commenting badly on the book because of it's similarities...

I actually haven't watched the trailer yet, but I always just go into movie adaptations telling myself, "this is based on the book" so that I don't get too upset over what they left out or what I pictured differently. I'd rather just enjoy both!

message 8: by Imani (new)

Imani | 18 comments I actually just watched the trailer and in my opinion I think that someone who hasn't read the book might think the book goes a different way . I can't watch it again though , it was too sad

message 9: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Excited to start, just received a copy from my Secret Santa. Probably going to cut in front of my giveaways I have received. :)

message 10: by Tami (new)

Tami | 3103 comments Mod
Okay, I did it. It cut in front of my giveaways wins. :) It was a great book.
It didn't bother me that she likes ANTM like it didn't bother me they liked playing that video game. Being sick really makes you just want something "not so serious" so it made total sense to me.
I must be made of stone, I will openly admit, I didn't cry once through this book. And yes, the ending was a bit odd, but at least it ended. :) Not sure the exact quote as I don't have the book with me, but more towards the beginning, there was something about ending the book. Books must have an ending! I totally agree. I don't like open ended stories. Probably why there are so many series out their I really don't get into.
As for the "Cancer Book", the only other one I had ever read was a real life story of a grown woman's mother that was dying. I haven't read one that was about a child, so I liked that the story told it from a younger view point. Not sure how I would feel if I had cancer and was dying, but I could only hope I would have the playful banter type reaction that Hazel and Gus and Isaac shared when they talked about it.

message 11: by Benjamin (new)

Benjamin | 65 comments I just finished this book for a literature circles assignment in one of my teacher education courses. We are learning about how to teach literature circles by simulating them ourselves.

My group read TFiOS and overall I thought it was a great book due to the language, quotes, and realities of having cancer. As a survivor I found certain sections to be hilarious, sad, or infuriating depending on who was talking and/or what was being talked about.

Jana at ThatArtsyReaderGirl.com (miss_jana) | 125 comments Holy heart wrenching. I was super scared to read this, but was required to for my YA Lit class. I read all the spoilers, but still cried. Haha.

I was not the biggest fan of van Houten's philosophic talk, but I did grow to like him by the end. MY favorite part about the book was Augustus's humor. He said some of the silliest things. Lots of great one-liners from him!

message 13: by Koleen (new)

Koleen Hansen | 13 comments March 2 20015

To whom may concern:
my thoughts on The Fault in Our Stars by John Green. I really like the book and movie a lot sad but I really enjoyable it remind I a lot of Lurlene McDaniel books. I like how it wasn't overly dramatic there was cute and funny moments like in real life.
best regards