The Dusty Bookshelf discussion

Theme Reads > July: Sci-fi and Fantasy

Comments Showing 1-50 of 62 (62 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
I know a lot of you have sci-fi and fantasy books sitting on your shelves. I hope this theme read will help get some of them read :) Sadly, I have mostly non-fiction books left on my shelf, but I want to see what all of you are going to read!

message 2: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments Midnight Tides (Malazan Book of the Fallen, #5) by Steven Erikson

so yea I am somewhere in the midst of Malazan Book of the Fallen :)

message 3: by Kevin (last edited Jun 01, 2012 10:17AM) (new)

message 4: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) I have so many sci-fi books on my shelf I'm not sure which one to read. I'll probably go with The Mysterious Island by Jules Verne or The Time Machine by H.G. Wells.

message 5: by Jessica (new)

Jessica (Books: A true story) (booksatruestory) | 490 comments Mod
Oh I've wanted to read The Time Machine for a long time! War of the Worlds was amazing and I haven't read anything else by H.G. Wells. I need to.

message 6: by Alicia (new)

Alicia (soitgoes815) This would be my first H.G. Wells book. I've realized that for someone who loves sci-fi I'm shamefully uneducated when it comes to the classics. Hopefully I'll read both books by the time summer is over, as well as the other Jules Verne book sitting on my kindle, 20,000 Leagues Under the Seas.

message 7: by Darcy (last edited Jun 01, 2012 12:18PM) (new)

Darcy (drokka) I didn't think I had any Sci-Fi or Fantasy in my list but I have been told that Fire Bringer is actually qualifies.

Mind you, if we have a children/youth book month, I might be in trouble :)

message 8: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Since A Game of Thrones was on my original challenge list here, I will probably choose that one. I do, however, have a good selection to choose from - several Pern books by the late Anne McCaffrey, The Chronicles of Narnia by C.S. Lewis, the second and third books in Terry Brooks' Word and Void trilogy, and several more.

A Game of Thrones (A Song of Ice and Fire, #1) by George R.R. Martin

message 9: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I have so many of these it is ridiculous. I'll have a really hard time choosing, but I may just do several for this challenge. I love fantasy, and I have a lot of sci-fi I've been meaning to read.

message 10: by LiLaboti (last edited Jun 04, 2012 04:14AM) (new)

LiLaboti | 70 comments my sister got this book Divine by Mistake, first of the series of three by P.C Cast; almost 3 yrs back... she or nobody in my family has yet read it...i was thinking of giving it a go..reading the description, i thought it would be fantasy..but now that i googled...the search shows positive result for both fantasy and fiction... anyone read it..?? any comments?

Divine by Mistake (Partholon, #1) by P.C. Cast

message 11: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) Nope ... nothing on my shelves that fits this category. Y'all have fun!

message 12: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I haven't read the book, but by its description, I'd say it's more of a sci-fi/fantasy novel. It's not paranormal, but the concept has to do with time fractures and what's the term for an item that is the embodiment of a soul. Anyway, I'd give it a go. Let us know what it's like, I'm thinking this is something I'd like to read.

message 13: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments SO many choices with this challenge! I'm not sure what I'll choose!

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind ?
The Eyes of God by John Marco ?
The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader" (Chronicles of Narnia, #3) by C.S. Lewis ?
The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1) by Tad Williams ?
Green Rider (Green Rider, #1) by Kristen Britain ?
Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars The Han Solo Adventures, #1) by Brian Daley ?

What to do? What to do?

message 14: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments After watching the season finale of Game of Thrones last night, I realize that I will be going through withdrawal by July, so reading the first book in the series will be just what I need!

message 15: by Razmatus (new)

Razmatus | 89 comments or maybe the whole series at that lol :P

message 16: by Jessica (new)

Jessica T. (jessicaola) | 79 comments game of thrones would hit up two challenges ... book screen play /science fiction.

message 17: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Woohooo...another challenge where I can put my The Sword of Shannara that counts right?! :) Maybe if I start now, I'll finish it by the end of July! Uhoh...here I go putting off Three Musketeers, AGAIN! :)

message 18: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Stefan wrote: "SO many choices with this challenge! I'm not sure what I'll choose!

Wizard's First Rule (Sword of Truth, #1) by Terry Goodkind?
The Eyes of God by John Marco?
[bookcover:The Voyage of the "Dawn Treader"]?
[bookcover:The Drago..."

Gahhhh! Thanks, now I have several more books to add to my TBR!!!! giggle giggle! :)

message 19: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments @April

Glad that I could help out to increase your reading! ;)

message 20: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Stefan wrote: "@April

Glad that I could help out to increase your reading! ;)"

Heeheehee!~ It's a problem really:) I'm just glad I don't have to pay for all the books I add to my TBR list here, I'd be one broke gal! :) I seriously have to make myself NOT check out all your pages on here...or It'd be worse than it is!...so much to read, so little reading time! Ahhh....there's the real reason I like vampire books! They have so much time to read!

message 21: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Razmatus wrote: "or maybe the whole series at that lol :P"

I do have the first four books, but I'm pretty sure I will not be able to read them all in a month! What with other book discussions coming up, and others that I want to get to this year, it may be a while before I get to the others. I did put the first one on my list here when I joined the group, though, so I will be achieving that goal!

message 22: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments April wrote: "Woohooo...another challenge where I can put my The Sword of Shannara that counts right?! :) Maybe if I start now, I'll finish it by the end of July! Uhoh...here I go putting off Three Musketeers..."

Yes! Read The Sword of Shannara!!! You will not be sorry! I love that series (although there are even more in it that I haven't read - I've read about nine of them).

message 23: by Denise (last edited Jun 05, 2012 02:02PM) (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Jessica wrote: "game of thrones would hit up two challenges ... book screen play /science fiction."

Well, I don't have the series on DVD. Yet - it is definitely a series I want to own! I think I may wait until it's all over and see if they put out a special complete set, like I did for Lost, which was worth it!

Plus, I bought the DVD of The Children's Hour (a movie I have loved for many years) specifically for the page-to-screen challenge, since I've had the play since a year or two ago, and I'm looking forward to watching it again!

message 24: by Hayley (new)

Hayley Stewart (haybop) | 491 comments Mod
I need to reread Name of the Wind so that can get pushed in ther e- but I know I have other non-read books around that fall into this category :)

message 25: by Darcy (new)

Darcy (drokka) I'm making a change. Turns out I did have 2 fantasy fictions on my list, but I thought one was an historical fiction. So I'll save Fire Bringer in case we do juvenile books later and I'll read In the Eye of Heaven as my July dusty.

message 26: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 18 comments The Dragonbone Chair (Memory, Sorrow, and Thorn, #1) by Tad Williams , The War of the Flowers by Tad Williams , Ship of Magic (Liveship Traders, #1) by Robin Hobb , Mad Ship (Liveship Traders, #2) by Robin Hobb

message 27: by Book Concierge (new)

Book Concierge (tessabookconcierge) In honor of Ray Bradbury, I may just have to fit in one of his books next month. Maybe The Toynbee Convector.

message 28: by Stefan (last edited Jun 26, 2012 10:52AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments Well, since I've been strong-armed into joining a group read of The Sword of Shannara  by Terry Brooks The Sword of Shannara, I think I'll go with something little for my Dusty Bookshelf Sci-Fi and Fantasy read. So, I'll go with Han Solo at Stars' End (Star Wars The Han Solo Adventures, #1) by Brian Daley Han Solo at Star's End for July.

message 29: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Strong-armed! Ha! Giggle giggle:)

message 30: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments I'm halfway through A Game of Thrones. I wanted to get a head start because it's so long (over 800 pages), and I also wanted to read a short story this week for a mystery group on another site, then finish A Game of Thrones, and then read two mystery novels for the same group by the end of next month. But the moderator there is discombobulated because she's in the middle of moving, and mixed up the schedule, so now I have to read a short story and both novels this week, and then two more novels and two short story collections for the end of next month! Well, I don't really have to, but I want to, if I can manage it! So my break from A Game of Thrones will be longer than anticipated, but I am really enjoying it so far!!!

message 31: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Denise wrote: "I'm halfway through A Game of Thrones. I wanted to get a head start because it's so long (over 800 pages), and I also wanted to read a short story this week for a mystery group on another site, th..."

Well, Glad you're enjoying GoT...I've got it on my tbr list, but it's going to have to wait until winter! Can't wait to see what you think along the way! Good luck with your other reads/clubs! :)

message 32: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Book Concierge wrote: "Nope ... nothing on my shelves that fits this category. Y'all have fun!"

LOL. I think I'm with you. And perhaps it would have been different if it weren't for the twilight series (I don't respect it enough to use capital letters) ruining that whole genre for me.. whatever it was supposed to be.

message 33: by Stefan (last edited Jul 03, 2012 08:06AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments April wrote: "LOL. I think I'm with you. And perhaps it would have been different if it weren't for the twilight series (I don't respect it enough to use capital letters) ruining that whole genre for me.. whatever it was supposed to be. "

I don't care how you spin it, but Twilight is nowhere near Fantasy/Sci-Fi.

message 34: by April (new)

April | 570 comments Stefan wrote: "April wrote: "LOL. I think I'm with you. And perhaps it would have been different if it weren't for the twilight series (I don't respect it enough to use capital letters) ruining that whole genre ..."

I agree! Is there a teen angst genre? Cause that's what it is! (and this is coming from someone who actually liked the books...but they are NOT Sci-Fi..maybe a wee bit of fantasy..because it has vampires?) I still say it needs it's own!

message 35: by Jessika (last edited Jul 04, 2012 07:16AM) (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Ah, sci-fi/fantasy, one of my favorite genres!! In one of my other groups, I already committed to a non-fiction (memoir for me) challenge for this month, which is my other favorite genre.

But... maybe I can squeeze in one more book. :) I need to finish this trilogy anyway!

1. The White Dragon (Pern, #5) by Anne McCaffrey

message 36: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lanybum) Ah unfortunately I've no sci-fi or fantasy on my dusty shelf but it just so happens I picked up a copy JG Ballard's The Drowned World today. I'm sure I can squeeze that in this month. It's only tiny.

message 37: by Jennifer (new)

Jennifer (gxeninjo) | 53 comments I will definitely be finishing the Arrows of the Queen series, I've read the first book several times now, but never the other two, though I've meant to. I'll also read some others, but I haven't totally decided yet, probably "The Last Unicorn" and "The Lightning Thief", and maybe "Wicked". I'm already rereading "Arrows of the Queen" so I'll be starting the second book of that soon.

message 38: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Jessika wrote: "Ah, sci-fi/fantasy, one of my favorite genres!! In one of my other groups, I already committed to a non-fiction (memoir for me) challenge for this month, which is my other favorite genre.

But... m..."

Jessika, I hope you enjoy The White Dragon! That's a really good one!

message 39: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) April wrote: "I agree! Is there a teen angst genre?"

bahaha. :S

Well, maybe you all can help me. If The Time Traveler's Wife & The Handmaid's Tale are indeed sci-fi (as some have labelled them) then I don't totally hate the genre. Any recommendations that are similar to these?

(Also, I am listening to The Hunger Games on cd right now - does that count?)

message 40: by Elaine (new)

Elaine (lanybum) April wrote: "April wrote: "I agree! Is there a teen angst genre?"

bahaha. :

Well, maybe you all can help me. If The Time Traveler's Wife & The Handmaid's Tale are indeed sci-fi (as some have labelled them) ..."

Personally I'd say you prob get away with calling handmaids tale & the hunger games scif. They're both dystopian which is sort of a branch of scifi (in my non scifi reading opinion). I may be biased though as I don't read a lot of the genre so I'm happy to put anything I can in there.

Perhaps something equally dystopian like 1984 or Brave New World, both of which I really enjoyed.

message 41: by Mhari (new)

Mhari (morarwen) | 25 comments Jennifer wrote: "I have so many of these it is ridiculous. I'll have a really hard time choosing, but I may just do several for this challenge. I love fantasy, and I have a lot of sci-fi I've been meaning to read."

This right there.

I haven't actually started on Hecate's Cauldron yet, despite putting it on my current shelf, so that will count. And then there's a whole bunch of Sword & Sorceress volumes to go through!

message 42: by Stefan (last edited Jul 05, 2012 06:41AM) (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments April wrote: "Well, maybe you all can help me. If The Time Traveler's Wife & The Handmaid's Tale are indeed sci-fi (as some have labelled them) then I don't totally hate the genre. Any recommendations that are similar to these?

(Also, I am listening to The Hunger Games on cd right now - does that count?) "

First off, I'd say that The Hunger Games and The Time Traveler's Wife both would count as Sci-Fi.

From your Dusty Books, I also see House of Leaves which some would consider to have some Sci-Fi elements (I haven't read it, so don't know first-hand.) From your to-read books, I found The Giver and Alice's Adventures in Wonderland & Through the Looking-Glass (which I would consider Fantasy.)

A couple of other Science Fiction books that you might like that I have read are: Where Late the Sweet Birds Sang and A Canticle for Leibowitz.

Hope that helps out.

message 43: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Stefan wrote: "April wrote: "Well, maybe you all can help me. If The Time Traveler's Wife & The Handmaid's Tale are indeed sci-fi (as some have labelled them) then I don't totally hate the genre. Any recommendat..."

Thanks for taking the time to look for me. I read about 200 pages of House of Leaves already but it was a library book and I just couldn't finish it before it was due. I received it as a gift two Christmases ago but it's so daunting I haven't picked it back up. Thanks for the other recs - I will look at them now.

Elaine wrote: "April wrote: "April wrote: "I agree! Is there a teen angst genre?"

bahaha. :

Well, maybe you all can help me. If The Time Traveler's Wife & The Handmaid's Tale are indeed sci-fi (as some have l..."

I have actually read both Brave New World and 1984! I liked 1984 okay, didn't like Brave New World. One of my majors in college was English lit, so I've read a lot of the "classics."

message 44: by Stefan (new)

Stefan Yates (stefan31) | 137 comments April wrote: "Stefan wrote: "One of my majors in college was English lit, so I've read a lot of the "classics." "

I minored in English Lit, so I know what you mean. I also thought of a couple of fantasy novels that you might try that I read and enjoyed as part of a Fable & Fantasy class: Deerskin and Ombria in Shadow.

message 45: by Kevin (last edited Jul 06, 2012 03:22PM) (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 18 comments Stefan wrote: "April wrote: "Stefan wrote: "One of my majors in college was English lit, so I've read a lot of the "classics." "

I minored in English Lit, so I know what you mean. I also thought of a couple of ..."

I took a fantasy class two summer ago. We read The Hobbit, American Gods, and Assassin's Apprentice. It was really enjoyable, he even worked as D&D back in the 80s. The only problem was that the professor used The Hero's Jounery way too much.

message 46: by April Lyn (new)

April Lyn (aprilallyear) Stefan wrote: "I also thought of a couple of fantasy novels that you might try that I read and enjoyed as part of a Fable & Fantasy class: Deerskin and Ombria in Shadow."

I will check out Deerskin. Although (as you said) the cover is creepy, it sounds okay. But you lost me on Ombria with the words "political intrigue" - gag me ;)

message 47: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Finished The White Dragon today. My favorite of the trilogy.
The White Dragon (Pern, #5) by Anne McCaffrey

message 48: by Kevin (new)

Kevin Xu (kxu65) | 18 comments Jessika wrote: "Finished The White Dragon today. My favorite of the trilogy.
The White Dragon (Pern, #5) by Anne McCaffrey"

The The White Dragon is one of my favorite covers. I just love the way Michael Whelan did the orginial cover: The White Dragon (Pern Dragonriders of Pern, #3) by Anne McCaffrey . The dragon on it is just amazing.

message 49: by Jessika (new)

Jessika (jessika_56) Oh, very nice! I like that, too!

message 50: by Denise (new)

Denise (dulcinea3) | 307 comments Jessika wrote: "Finished The White Dragon today. My favorite of the trilogy.
The White Dragon (Pern, #5) by Anne McCaffrey"

Yes, isn't it great?! I've read quite a few of the Pern books, and that is one of my favorites.

« previous 1