2022 Reading Challenge discussion

ARCHIVE: Quarterly Challenges > 3rd Quarter Olympics Challenge July-September

Comments Showing 1-50 of 83 (83 new)    post a comment »
« previous 1

message 1: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments I'm in for 9 but might change my goal at some point if I find it too easy or hard.
I'll try to post here every few weeks but I'll be updating in my member's corner all the time :)

message 2: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments I'm in for silver, because the colour is prettier than gold :).

message 3: by Ashley (new)

Ashley I'm in for Silver Medal (5-8 books)

message 4: by Barb (last edited Jul 16, 2012 05:14PM) (new)

Barb I'm going to try for the Silver, 5-8 books, but might have to settle for a Bronze :)

PROGRESS: 7/6

1. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK
A Room Full of Bones
(Ruth Galloway series #4), by Elly Griffiths, finished 7/9 - Both set in the UK and by an author from the UK

2. Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country.
Seating Arrangements
, by Maggie Shipstead, finished 7/1 – set in New England

3. There’s 26 sports being played at this year’s Olympics. Read a book that’s plot involves one of these sports –OR- read a non-fiction book about one of these sports.

4. Read a book that has a mythological character in it -OR- read a non-fiction book about mythology or ancient Greece.

5. Read a book that has a character that goes on a journey -OR- read a book where a character watches a sporting event.
Alpine for You (Passport to Peril series #1), by Maddy Hunter, finished 7/5 – seniors’ tour group goes from Iowa to Switzerland

6. Read a book that has a title that starts with one of the letters in OLYMPICS
Mentalpause ...and Other Midlife Laughs by Laura Jensen Walker
, by Laura Jensen Walker, finished 7/10

7. Read a book with an island setting, a character that’s royalty, a book that has a secret agent/spy in it, or has a character who’s name is Daniel.
Saving Faith by David Baldacci (audio), by David Baldacci, finished 7/9

8. Read a book with the word Fire or its derivative in the title or has an image of fire on the cover.

9. Read a fiction book that has the Olympics as part of the plot, read a non-fiction book about the Olympics, or a biography/memoir of any Olympic athlete.

10. Read a book that has a character that works towards a goal, a character who wins a sporting event/race, or a book that has gold coloring on the cover.
Murder on the Half Shelf by Lorna Barrett (Booktown series #6), by Lorna Barrett, finished 7/1

11. Read a book that has a rainbow on the cover, or a book that has a mascot in it -OR- watch the cartoon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q1fy6Z...

12. Read a book where art is a part of the plot or has a park in it -OR- read a book that has a sculpture/piece of art on the cover.

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead     Murder on the Half Shelf by Lorna Barrett     Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1) by Maddy Hunter     A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths     Saving Faith by David Baldacci     Mentalpause ...and Other Midlife Laughs by Laura Jensen Walker

I have a lot of other challenges to work on, so I'm calling this one done; I'm quite happy with a silver medal :)

message 5: by Shelly (last edited Aug 28, 2012 07:53AM) (new)

Shelly Bretheim (shellybre) I'm going to try for Gold!

The 2012 Olympics Challenge
6/12 Complete

1. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK The Crossing Places by Elly Griffiths July 23

2. Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country. The Surgeon Aug. 20

3. There’s 26 sports being played at this year’s Olympics. Read a book that’s plot involves one of these sports –OR- read a non-fiction book about one of these sports.

4. Read a book that has a mythological character in it -OR- read a non-fiction book about mythology or ancient Greece.

5. Read a book that has a character that goes on a journey -OR- read a book where a character watches a sporting event.

6. Read a book that has a title that starts with one of the letters in OLYMPICS The Lovely Bones July 20

7. Read a book with an island setting, a character that’s royalty, a book that has a secret agent/spy in it, or has a character who’s name is Daniel. Disney at Dawn July 1

8. Read a book with the word Fire or its derivative in the title or has an image of fire on the cover.

9. Read a fiction book that has the Olympics as part of the plot, read a non-fiction book about the Olympics, or a biography/memoir of any Olympic athlete. Chalked Up: Inside Elite Gymnastics' Merciless Coaching, Overzealous Parents, Eating Disorders, and Elusive Olympic DreamsJuly 23

10. Read a book that has a character that works towards a goal, a character who wins a sporting event/race, or a book that has gold coloring on the cover.

11. Read a book that has a rainbow on the cover, or a book that has a mascot in it -OR- watch the cartoon
I watched the video

12. Read a book where art is a part of the plot or has a park in it -OR- read a book that has a sculpture/piece of art on the cover.

message 6: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Thank you, SilverRaindrops, for leading this challenge! :)

message 7: by Gina (last edited Jul 22, 2012 08:53PM) (new)

Gina CRC The 2012 Olympics Challenge

Gina's CRC The 2012 Olympics Challenge
Challenge runs from July 1st to September 30

1. The Olympics are taking place in London, England. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK

The Ice Cream Girls by Dorothy Koomson- FINISHED 7/5/12

2. Show your team spirit! Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country.

Safe House by Andrew Vachss Set in NY- FINISHED 7/9/12

3. There’s 26 sports being played at this year’s Olympics. Read a book that’s plot involves one of these sports –OR- read a non-fiction book about one of these sports. Here is a list of the sports-
http://www.topendsports.com/events/su...

The Next Always by Nora Roberts Bennett is trying to teach Claire's sons how swim and wrestle. He is falling in love with Claire and the kids and becomes very involved in their lives.- FINISHED 7/18/12

4. Greece is the birthplace of the first Olympics games. They started in 776 B.C. and were dedicated to the Olympian gods. Read a book that has a mythological character in it -OR- read a non-fiction book about mythology or ancient Greece.

5. People travel from all over the world to watch the Olympics. Read a book that has a character that goes on a journey -OR- read a book where a character watches a sporting event.

A Deeper Darkness by J.T. Ellison- Sam goes on a journey to do a secondary autopsy on an ex-boyfriend but also finds herself on a journey of self healing after the loss of her husband and children- FINISHED 7/2/12

My Brother Sam Is Dead by James Lincoln Collier- FINISHED 7/1/12

7. The Opening Ceremony is called The Isles of Wonder. Queen Elizabeth II will officially open the ceremony and a short James Bond film, featuring Daniel Craig, will be played. Read a book with an island setting, a character that’s royalty, a book that has a secret agent/spy in it, or has a character who’s name is Daniel.

The Kingdom of Childhood by Rebecca Coleman-The principal of the school is Daniel- FINISHED 7/3/12

8. Torch bearers will carry the Flame through more than 1,000 cities, towns and villages in the UK, before it arrives to the opening ceremony. Read a book with the word Fire or its derivative in the title or has an image of fire on the cover.

9. Read a fiction book that has the Olympics as part of the plot, read a non-fiction book about the Olympics, or a biography/memoir of any Olympic athlete.

10. Athletes spend years training for one thing, the Gold Medal. Read a book that has a character that works towards a goal, a character who wins a sporting event/race, or a book that has gold coloring on the cover.

Take This Regret by A.L. Jackson- Main Character Christian is working to gain his family back after abandoning them 5 years ago- FINISHED 7/6/12

11. Wenlock and Mandeville are the 2012 Olympics Mascots and are featured in a short cartoon titled Out of a Rainbow. Read a book that has a rainbow on the cover, or a book that has a mascot in it -OR- watch the cartoon

12. The Olympic Park will feature The ArcelorMittal Orbit, which is a 377 ft high observation tower. The steel sculpture is Britain’s largest piece of public art and is a permanent, lasting legacy of London's hosting of the 2012 Olympics. Read a book where art is a part of the plot or has a park in it -OR- read a book that has a sculpture/piece of art on the cover.

Jade O'Reilly and the Ice Queen by Tamara Ward Jade O'Reilly and the Ice Queen (A Sweetwater Short) by Tamara Ward Art/antique on cover and about the missing piece of a woman's art collection.- FINISHED 7/11/12

message 8: by mussolet (last edited Jul 05, 2012 02:46PM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Welcome to the challenge everyone :).

Participants so far:
Amanda - 1 / 2
Barb - 6
Ashley - 5-8
Johanna - 5-8
Sarajayne - 5-8
Sharon - 5-8
SilverRaindrops 5-8
Kara - 9
Karina - 9
Lilac - 9
Gina - 12
Melanie - 12
Shelley - 12

If you haven't joined yet, go ahead and do it. Who doesn't think reading should be an Olympic discipline ;).

message 9: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments Put me down for nine!

message 10: by Sharon (new)

Sharon (sharint) | 739 comments I'm in for at least silver maybe I'll surprise myself and get gold!

message 11: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Sharon wrote: "I'm in for at least silver maybe I'll surprise myself and get gold!"

That's what I thought too, Sharon :).
I've added you and Kara ;).

message 12: by Karina (new)

Karina (karinargh) | 807 comments I'll try to join in on this - aiming for 9!

message 13: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments I´m going for a silver medal!

message 14: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Good luck to both of you, and have fun searching for books.
I've added you to the list :).

message 15: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Well, good luck to everyone.
Just remember, finishing is not the goal, the Olympic Games are about TAKING PART :).

message 16: by Cathy (last edited Jul 09, 2012 05:05PM) (new)

Cathy (cathycr) | 28 comments 2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge
Duration: 7/1/12 -9/30/12
Countries Pick: Peru

P ~ The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee The Piano Teacher by Janice Y.K. Lee

E ~ Pictures of the Past Pictures of the Past

R ~ Midwife of Venice The Midwife of Venice

U ~ Unbroken Unbroken A World War II Story of Survival, Resilience and Redemption by Laura Hillenbrand [bookcover

message 17: by Amanda (last edited Jul 06, 2012 05:01PM) (new)

Amanda Johnson (moontide) I'm just going for the Bronze of two books at the moment.

2. Show your team spirit! Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

6. Read a book that has a title that starts with one of the letters in OLYMPICS Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

2/2

message 18: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) I'm going to go for it! I don't know how many I'm going to get to read, but I'll definitely aim for 12. I'll be updating mostly in my members corner - http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/8...

message 19: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Cathy wrote: "2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge
Countries Pick: Peru"

Cathy, for that you have to go over to the 3rd Quarter Spell Challenge.
For this one, you would have to find books that fit the requirements in the first post.
You can go through them and see if your books fit though :).

message 20: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Good going Amanda!
I've got you and Melanie updated :).

message 21: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments 1. The Olympics are taking place in London, England. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK: A Discovery of Witches

COMPLETED: 2/9

message 22: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Kara wrote: "1. The Olympics are taking place in London, England. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK: A Discovery of Witches

COMPLETED: 2/9"

How was it, Kara? (And what was your first book?)

message 23: by Amanda (new)

Amanda Johnson (moontide) Updated my message 20, I guess I finished that too quickly. I guess I have no idea how may books I will be reading, since I haven't read books this quickly since the Hush, Hush series. I'll add 3 more choices then to try for the Silver:

1. The Olympics are taking place in London, England. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK

2. Show your team spirit! Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country. Beautiful Creatures by Kami Garcia

6. Read a book that has a title that starts with one of the letters in OLYMPICS Survivor by Chuck Palahniuk

10. Athletes spend years training for one thing, the Gold Medal. Read a book that has a character that works towards a goal, a character who wins a sporting event/race, or a book that has gold coloring on the cover.

12. The Olympic Park will feature The ArcelorMittal Orbit, which is a 377 ft high observation tower. The steel sculpture is Britain’s largest piece of public art and is a permanent, lasting legacy of London's hosting of the 2012 Olympics. Read a book where art is a part of the plot or has a park in it -OR- read a book that has a sculpture/piece of art on the cover.

2/5

message 24: by Gina (new)

Gina Updating my post

Gina's CRC The 2012 Olympics Challenge

2. Show your team spirit! Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country.

3. There’s 26 sports being played at this year’s Olympics. Read a book that’s plot involves one of these sports –OR- read a non-fiction book about one of these sports. Here is a list of the sports-

4. Greece is the birthplace of the first Olympics games. They started in 776 B.C. and were dedicated to the Olympian gods. Read a book that has a mythological character in it -OR- read a non-fiction book about mythology or ancient Greece.

5. People travel from all over the world to watch the Olympics. Read a book that has a character that goes on a journey -OR- read a book where a character watches a sporting event.

A Deeper Darkness by J.T. Ellison- Sam goes on a journey to do a secondary autopsy on an ex-boyfriend but also finds herself on a journey of self healing after the loss of her husband and children- FINISHED 7/2/12

7. The Opening Ceremony is called The Isles of Wonder. Queen Elizabeth II will officially open the ceremony and a short James Bond film, featuring Daniel Craig, will be played. Read a book with an island setting, a character that’s royalty, a book that has a secret agent/spy in it, or has a character who’s name is Daniel.

The Kingdom of Childhood by Rebecca Coleman-The principal of the school is Daniel- FINISHED 7/3/12

8. Torch bearers will carry the Flame through more than 1,000 cities, towns and villages in the UK, before it arrives to the opening ceremony. Read a book with the word Fire or its derivative in the title or has an image of fire on the cover.

Take This Regret by A.L. Jackson- Main Character Christian is working to gain his family back after abandoning them 5 years ago- FINISHED 7/6/12

11. Wenlock and Mandeville are the 2012 Olympics Mascots and are featured in a short cartoon titled Out of a Rainbow. Read a book that has a rainbow on the cover, or a book that has a mascot in it -OR- watch the cartoon

Participation levels:

Bronze Medal: 1-4 books
Silver Medal: 5-8 books
Gold Medal: 9-12 books

message 25: by mussolet (last edited Jul 06, 2012 11:45PM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Updating my own progress:

1. UK
Read a book that is written by an author from the UK
-> **** Angie Sage: Flyte, July 5

6. Spell Out
Read a book that has a title that starts with one of the letters in OLYMPICS
-> **** M: Magyk by Angie Sage, July 3

8. Olympic Flame
Read a book with the word Fire in the title.
-> **** Ox-Tales Fire, July 2

Flyte (Septimus Heap, #2) by Angie Sage Magyk (Septimus Heap, #1) by Angie Sage Ox-Tales Fire by Oxfam

message 26: by mussolet (last edited Jul 09, 2012 02:50PM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Only one week in, and already everyone has read so much! Don't forget to take a break to drink some water and rest your weary limbs or eyes a bit :).

@Amanda: Good going! It's great that your books have been quick reads for you; it tells a lot about the books :).

Group Progress:
Amanda - 2 / 5
Ashley - 5-8
Barb - 2 / 6
Johanna - 1 / 5-8
Sharon - 5-8
SilverRaindrops 3 / 5-8
Kara - 2 / 9
Karina - 1 / 9
Lilac - 1 / 9
Gina - 5 / 12
Melanie - 12
Shelley - 2 / 12

Finished - for now ;) -
Sarajayne - 5 / 5, July 09

message 27: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathycr) | 28 comments SilverRaindrops wrote: "Cathy wrote: "2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge
Countries Pick: Peru"

Cathy, for that you have to go over to the 3rd Quarter Spell Challenge.
For this one, you w..."

Thanks. I have moved over to the 3rd Quarter Spell Challenge. Really got my challenges mixed -up

message 28: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Cathy wrote: "Thanks. I have moved over to the 3rd Quarter Spell Challenge. Really got my challenges mixed -up."

Happens to all of us at some point or other Cathy ;).

message 29: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments SilverRaindrops wrote: "How was it, Kara? (And what was your first book?) "

Solid three stars from me, but I don't want to say too much in fear of spoiling it for someone. I'll definitely be reading the next one.

This is my first one: 2. Show your team spirit! Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country. Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?

message 30: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Kara wrote: "SilverRaindrops wrote: "How was it, Kara? (And what was your first book?) "

Solid three stars from me, but I don't want to say too much in fear of spoiling it for someone. I'll definitely be reading the next one."

I'm not too sure about whether I want it or not. The two review sites I follow have it at 2 and 3 stars. I might just wait for the reviews for book two before I decide :).

message 31: by Johanna (last edited Jul 09, 2012 09:59AM) (new)

Johanna | 766 comments My first

The Truth About Forever

Running plays it´s part in this book, not much but enough that I thought I can use it :)

message 32: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Johanna wrote: "My first

3. There’s 26 sports being played at this year’s Olympics. Read a book that’s plot involves one of these sports –OR- read a non-fiction book about one of these sports. Here is a list of t..."

That one is alright Johanna. And you actually gave me an idea as well ;).

message 33: by Lilac (new)

Lilac  (lilac_wales) | 850 comments Wow, that was fast! Are you going to try for gold now or stick to what you've got?

message 34: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Lilac wrote: "Wow, that was fast! Are you going to try for gold now or stick to what you've got?"

Huh, hang on, what???

Sarajayne is the new Michael Phelps ;). She can pick another discipline and start all over again ;).

message 35: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathycr) | 28 comments Cathy wrote: "2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge

E ~ Pictures of the Past Pictures ..."

***I have changed my selection for "P" to Piano Teacher. Could not get into The Seamstress.*****

message 36: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Cathy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge

E ~ Pictures of the ..."

GR ate my comment!!! Cathy, you (again) need to post this in the other topic ;). Although, since you are so insistent, I can check whether your books fit for this challenge as well ;).

Sara, I know the feeling ;). Congrats on finishing!

message 37: by Melanie (new)

Melanie (melaniebopp) 1. Desperate Duchesses by Eloisa James
2. Undead and unstable by MaryJanice Davidson
6. Spirit Bound by Christine Feehan

3/12

message 38: by Cathy (new)

Cathy (cathycr) | 28 comments SilverRaindrops wrote: "Cathy wrote: "Cathy wrote: "2012 Summer Olympics 3rd Quarter Challenge

E ~ Pi..."

I am so so bad at this ~ I am really sorry

message 39: by Barb (new)

Barb FINISHED!

I'm going to try for the Silver, 5-8 books

PROGRESS: 7/6

1. Read a book set in the UK -OR- read a book that is written by an author from the UK
A Room Full of Bones
(Ruth Galloway series #4), by Elly Griffiths, finished 7/9 - Both set in the UK and by an author from the UK

2. Read a book by an author from your country –OR- read a book that is set in your country.
Seating Arrangements
, by Maggie Shipstead, finished 7/1 – set in New England

Alpine for You (Passport to Peril series #1), by Maddy Hunter, finished 7/5 – seniors’ tour group goes from Iowa to Switzerland

Mentalpause ...and Other Midlife Laughs by Laura Jensen Walker
, by Laura Jensen Walker, finished 7/10

7. Read a book with an island setting, a character that’s royalty, a book that has a secret agent/spy in it, or has a character who’s name is Daniel.
Saving Faith by David Baldacci (audio), by David Baldacci, finished 7/9

Murder on the Half Shelf by Lorna Barrett (Booktown series #6), by Lorna Barrett, finished 7/1

Seating Arrangements by Maggie Shipstead   Murder on the Half Shelf by Lorna Barrett   Alpine for You (Passport to Peril, #1) by Maddy Hunter   A Room Full of Bones (Ruth Galloway, #1) by Elly Griffiths   Saving Faith by David Baldacci   Mentalpause ...and Other Midlife Laughs by Laura Jensen Walker

I have a lot of other challenges to work on, so I'm calling this one done; I'm quite happy with a silver medal :)

message 40: by mussolet (last edited Jul 17, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Barb, I know what you mean ... I am working on reducing my challenges as well ...

For everyone still trying to win the race, here are your updated numbers. Keep running everyone, the marathon isn't over yet ;).

Group Progress:
Amanda - 2 / 5
Ashley - 5-8
Johanna - 2 / 5-8
Sharon - 5-8
SilverRaindrops 4 / 5-8
Kara - 3 / 9
Karina - 2 / 9
Lilac - 4 / 9
Gina - 5 / 12
Melanie - 3 / 12
Shelley - 2 / 12

Finished - for now ;) -
Sarajayne - 5 / 5, July 09
Barb - 7 / 6, July 16

Sara and Barb actually finished before the Olympics started ... you should do a reset and start all over again ;).

message 41: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments My own 4th book was for the gold medal category - a character working towards a goal.
I've read the complete Sherlock Holmes edition, and I think him solving crimes is working towards a goal ;).

message 42: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Cathy wrote: "I am so so bad at this ~ I am really sorry."

No worries, Cathy. That's what we're here for ... to help you find your way :).

message 43: by Barb (new)

Barb Sara and Barb actually finished before the Olympics started ... you should do a reset and start all over again ;). "

LOL No thank you :) I want to be able to watch the Olympics once they start, so I need to get as much reading done as I can before the Opening Ceremonies!

message 44: by Johanna (new)

Johanna | 766 comments 1 more for me:

1. in UK or author from UK: Asking for Trouble by Elizabeth Young

message 45: by mussolet (last edited Jul 17, 2012 11:38AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments I got you updated, Johanna :). What an interesting cover you have there ;).

Barb, are you really kidding yourself into not doing any new challenges until then? :O

message 46: by Barb (new)

Barb SilverRaindrops wrote: "Barb, are you really kidding yourself into not doing any new challenges until then? :O"

LOL Silver I'm trying very hard not to take on anymore new challenges until I get closer to finishing some of these that end in July. I wish my books from the library fit better in those challenges!

message 47: by Gina (last edited Aug 11, 2012 10:40AM) (new)

Gina Gina's CRC The 2012 Olympics Challenge COMPLETED

Safe House by Andrew Vachss Set in NY- FINISHED 7/9/12

The Next Always by Nora Roberts Bennett is trying to teach Claire's sons how swim and wrestle. He is falling in love with Claire and the kids and becomes very involved in their lives.- FINISHED 7/18/12

November in Salem: The Bargain of Witches by L.C. Russell All kinds of mythological characters- FINISHED 8/6/12

November in Salem: The Bargain of Witches by L.C. Russell November in Salem The Bargain of Witches by L.C. Russell Fire on Cover

While My Sister Sleeps by Barbara Delinsky A runner in Olympic trials has a heart attack from the enlarged heart syndrome that many athletes have and the impact it has on her sport

Watched Cartoon 8/1/12

Jade O'Reilly and the Ice Queen by Tamara Ward Jade O'Reilly and the Ice Queen (A Sweetwater Short) by Tamara Ward Art/antique on cover and about the missing piece of a woman's art collection.- FINISHED 7/11/12

Participation levels:

Bronze Medal: 1-4 books
Silver Medal: 5-8 books
Gold Medal: 9-12 books

message 48: by Kara, TBR Twins (new)

Kara (karaayako) | 3971 comments 5. People travel from all over the world to watch the Olympics. Read a book that has a character that goes on a journey: Graceling

12. The Olympic Park will feature The ArcelorMittal Orbit, which is a 377 ft high observation tower. The steel sculpture is Britain’s largest piece of public art and is a permanent, lasting legacy of London's hosting of the 2012 Olympics. Read a book where art is a part of the plot: Thousand Cranes

COMPLETED: 5/9

message 49: by mussolet (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments I'm up to six :).

4. Ancient Greece
Read a book that has a mythological character in it.
Percy is short for Persephone, and some Greek myths feature in the story.
-> **** The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker, July 26

12. The ArcelorMittal Orbit
Read a book where art is a part of the plot.
-> The whole book is about Dante, which means that there are passages about Boticelli, the Florence cathedral and art gallery, ... :).
***** Gabriel's Inferno by Sylvain Reynard, July 27

The Strangely Beautiful Tale of Miss Percy Parker (Strangely Beautiful, #1) by Leanna Renee Hieber Gabriel's Inferno (Gabriel's Inferno, #1) by Sylvain Reynard

I'm technically done now, but I'm staying on this challenge to keep all of you company :).

message 50: by mussolet (last edited Jul 31, 2012 12:16AM) (new)

mussolet (sovotchka) | 606 comments Since the Olympics and a new page have started, I'm posting the new, updated list here:

Congrats to Kara and Gina for keeping up so well.
Johanna, you can keep Cathy company ... in wandering off to the other thread with the other Quarterly Challenge ;).

Group Progress:
Amanda - 2 / 5
Ashley - 5-8
Johanna - 4 / 5-8
Sharon - 5-8
Kara - 6 / 9
Karina - 5 / 9
Lilac - 4 / 9
Gina - 8 / 12
Melanie - 3 / 12
Shelley - 5 / 12

Finished - for now ;) -